Literally the worst time ever to build a new PC

Nah see…Back in 2017 and 2018 retail pricing of many cards were twice the recommended prices thanks to mining demand. So Mining is partly to blame.

Actually MSRP pricing of all GPUs has escalated over the past four or five years.:p

I am sure there is a relationship between Bitcoin price and computer component supply shortage, but I am just pointing out that it certainly isn't a direct relationship. It's just a fact that it is not feasible to mine Bitcoin with retail components. However, Bitcoin could be someone's gateway into learning about/exploring mining in general. These ASIC machines (used for mining Bitcoin) are also very expensive, like $10,000. After learning about the relatively high barrier to entry, a person (or many in this case) may look into alternatives, and buy high end GPU's for them. Litecoin, for example, has also seen its price rise dramatically, and uses Scrypt for hashing, which is designed to be ASIC resistant and can be mined with retail GPU's as a result.

In fact, I blame the US, for everything
Well wouldn't be the first time. Remember were now a Banana Republic.:lol:

Seems the new AMD 6800 looks to be a good mining card as well. One thing I'm realizing is I'm a cheap bastard who cant afford these high prices anymore.

It's getting outrageous they range from $450 all the way up to $1,000.

Time to sell a kidney or just game on consoles from now on.:(

Last edited:
As I said, you cannot mine Bitcoin with an Nvidia or a AMD GPU or any retail components really. You need to buy ASIC's. If people are buying them for mining, it's not for mining Bitcoin.
Building an ASIC is very expensive, though there are prototype programmes that allow developers to share wafers with others and to reduce the cost. It also requires most expensive tools and a great deal of know-how, one mistake and the chip won't work. Then if you need to adapt the application for a new type of bitcoin that was not foreseen, or the key length or whatever, you have to make a new chip, you can't reprogram them (hence the name Application-Specific IC).

So I'm not convinced it's a viable solution except if you do it on a massive scale and happen to work in a company that develops ASICs for a living (that's what you say in your other post, just echoing that here).

But I think you can still use FPGAs for that. Most companies developing ASIC chips use them for prototyping, but there are many other companies developing only on FPGA because products which a lower production volume use that technology (higher cost by unit, but much lower NRE). Those boards are largely underused and it's easy to let them run a bitcoin application at night or when they're not used for testing.

Even as an individual, you can buy those boards and the development tools for an affordable price. I wouldn't say it's cheap though, but it's 4 digits instead of 6 ;)

Since Intel bought Altera, there might be CPUs with an integrated FPGA that could serve that purpose, if the FPGA is big enough (same for AMD/Xilinx). Perhaps a future alternative.

EDIT: like here, though this doesn't sound realistic and such a patent is probably more for trolling or protecting potential developments that are more specific. Intel has been onto that way before them, I'd be curious to see if they can get this patent to pass through the first examiner's round.

Last edited:
i just relish the fact that I have so many games in my backlog that I don't need any new hardware within the next 1-2 years ...

However, I fear getting into a situation like you as well ...

Due to the 7-25% price hike that hit this week for pretty much everything computer-related coming form China, I'm feeling a bit better about buying most of my system last week.

But now my 3080 will cost $200 more (...when available). *facepalm*

ASUS released a stock of 'white' ROG 3080's today, which sold out in about 5 mins and crashed their website (it's still down as I type). These are the first non-scalped 3000 series GPUs I've seen for sale since they released a couple months ago. I had a chance, but passed. I want the TUF edition.

The good news is that I picked up a Ryzen 7 5800x last night for "only" $50 markup. I know the cost vs 5900x is debatable, but I don't need 12 cores.

At least I can complete my build now, while re-using my current 2080 super until more 3000 GPUs are available.

ASUS released a stock of 'white' ROG 3080's today, which sold out in about 5 mins and crashed their website (it's still down as I type). These are the first non-scalped 3000 series GPUs I've seen for sale since they released a couple months ago. I had a chance, but passed. I want the TUF edition.

The good news is that I picked up a Ryzen 7 5800x last night for "only" $50 markup. I know the cost vs 5900x is debatable, but I don't need 12 cores.

At least I can complete my build now, while re-using my current 2080 super until more 3000 GPUs are available.

I'm pretty sure the 2080 can run any game out there at the moment on mostly highest settings. No need for a 3k series.

I'm pretty sure the 2080 can run any game out there at the moment on mostly highest settings. No need for a 3k series.

It's VR that needs it. Pushing two signals.

Plus, I usually upgrade & part-out my 'old' system as those parts still have some demand and I can usually pay for at least half the cost of my new build by doing so.

I thought that the 3080 was the first card that can push 4k pixels at 60fps consistently.

Last edited:
I just acquired a 3070 - my first gfx card upgrade since I got my GTX980...7 years ago? A few days after I received it, my supplier told me the price had gone up by about 20%....fortunately I'd already paid. Anyway, the compute power is quite a jump from my old card so that's good, and the card seems to run a lot quieter and draw less power (?) Ran some CUDA benchmarks and it's quite a beast - and doesn't get as hot as my GTX980 (you could fry an egg on that exhaust!) I don't have any games that use RT though, and I still have an old 1080 monitor, so no 4K gaming either ;-) I sit literally 1.5 feet from the monitor at my desk....and don't need 3 monitors to feel immersed. anyway, should be good for another 7 years I hope.

I just acquired a 3070 - my first gfx card upgrade since I got my GTX980…7 years ago?

It's always nice when a video card lasts that long. I'd still be using my GTX 980 Ti from 6 years ago if it hadn't went bad about 3 years in. They replaced it for free though with a GTX 1080 that I'm still using. :)

The 980 and 1080 were the best GPUs in history, price-per-performance, build quality, etc. They were tanks.

The stuff they're putting out now is pretty janky. The 2000 series cards are almost disposable, quality-wise. I haven't gotten my hands on a 3000 but I'm not optimistic-- especially if they're now having to desperately outsource to get enough parts to build them.

They're being built to survive 1 year of heavy mining before they're replaced. This is all my opinion, of course, based on my observations.

Literally the worst time ever to build a new PC
Clearly you're forgetting about 1998...
...bce ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfyJ5XBchoQ

This is what you're up against if you want a GPU right now…

Could you finally find the components you were looking for?

I thought about you and I'm reviving this thread because I was discussing with someone from Russia on how GPUs were hard to find. I looked at what we've got here in Belgium, France or UK, and it's astounding, I couldn't find one RTX in stock, no matter what model.

Well, yes, there were a few abusive offers on Amazon, from Chinese sellers (most of Amazon's offer these days, anyway) who were smart enough to grab enough cards and who still have a little stock. So a 3060 Ti, normally at ~700 EUR, can be found at 3000 - 5000 EUR.
image.png

Another example: "Average price" of an RTX 3080, though I'm not sure how they measure that today:
https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/#gpu.chipset.geforce-rtx-3080

who would have thought…

It wasnt too long ago that I was amazed by how cheaply I couldve slapped together a really nice computer, fairly cheaply. Even TB SSDs had really plateau'd in price.

My ten year old gaming rig w/ an I7 still holds up really well, and my company work computer is an Alienware loaded to the gills, if I really need it. Hopefully those cover me until this idiocy is over.

I understand it - the lure of easy money is strong. I have an associate who has put together stuff out of spare parts and swears he's making 15 bucks a day doing it. To me, as somebody who makes a decent wage, I dont feel it's worth the time. He, on the other hand isnt doing so well, and needs all the money that he can get.

I sure hope that the tech companies come out w/ a "Miner's Card" or something, much like the specialized Autocad-focused cards that are total crap for gaming.

Apparently that's mainly a combination of lucrative bitcoin mining and slowdown of production due to the COVID.

At that price, it's more interesting to buy an FPGA board for the mining, but maybe this technology is not very well known to the general public.

I sure hope that the tech companies come out w/ a "Miner's Card" or something, much like the specialized Autocad-focused cards that are total crap for gaming.

I think Nvidia were talking about that - GPU cards with no video output, just for compute purposes.

Back
Top Bottom