What are you reading?

I read the Stiletto, which is the follow up to the Rook, and it was one of those situations where I enjoyed the second book even more than the first. If we are all very lucky, at some point there will be a third!!

Recently finished Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe. Fun, easy reading, it's about a world where you level up your magical abilities by going through various dungeons. Story about a young wizard who is learning magic in a magic university, he is attending school in order to find his brother who disappeared in one of the dungeons.

I picked up the biography of Ulysses Grant and have been reading it the past two days. Quite the interesting life he had, I was aware of most of his accomplishments later in life but his youth was just as equally fascinating.

I've been a bit obsessed with books on the fall of the Roman Republic recently, which started when I read Robert Harris's soapy but immensely readable trilogy of historic fiction books about Cicero. I'm currently reading Rubicon, which is more broadly about the history of the era. It really was a time of politics at its most ruthless and brutal, really gripping stuff.

IRON GOLD: Fantastic book. If you choose to read it - and haven't read red rising series by Pierce Brown; read the first 3 books. They are all short but very very good.

I'm waiting on Iron Gold from the library, fortunately I have books at hand so the yearning isn't too tedious. Red Rising is a most excellent series, he does a fantastic job of blending sword and space mayhem like perhaps I've never experienced before. Highly recommend. If I remember right, I think he plans even another book, making five for the series. They are not huge novels, but they have absolutely no filler junk in them, every single word is precious.

I'm rereading the Rook, after reading the sequel Stiletto, I realized I hardly recalled much of the first book, so another plunge into the first book was necessary. What an interesting and vivid world, I'd read ten books in this setting! Only two so far, of course, but I'm hopefully that eventually we'll have more.

Just finished reading a Discovery novel, Desperate Hours, by David Mack. I'd call this an excellent book to read before watching the series, as it features both Shenzhou and Enterprise, as well as both crews. There is some filler of course, but the main story is quite good.

I reread Soon I will be Invincible, one of my favourites novels featuring super-powered folk. I always thought it might get a sequel, but after this much time passing, probably not.

Picked up Doomsday Book because a friend suggested it, I recall seeing this book in the nineties but never taking a chance on it. I'm not even sure I would have enjoyed it back then, but right now I am. The premise is, about fifty years from now we have the ability to send people back to certain periods of time to witness events, and you can imagine the hijinks that ensue.

Doomsday Book turned out to be really good, not generally the kind of novel that I gravitate to, as it was fairly light on the action side. I'd say it goes to prove that when the story is good enough, just a little action can and will suffice. Life in the fourteenth century actually was fairly appealing, at least to me.

Now I'm reading the Warded Man, a friend said this was the best debut novel she'd read since The Name of the Wind, which I took as a pretty bold statement. Now having read eighty percent of the book, I'm not sure I'd go that far with praise, but I'll allow that is certainly is a great book.

And Warded Man is done! Pretty good, a unique world set up, and I've already requested the next volume in the series. Would I equate it to the Name of the Wind? My opinion matters not, read it for yourself and decide. It is certainly a worthy debut, and an author to be watched.

Next up, and already fifty pages in, Iron Gold!

Iron Gold was excellent, I was expecting perhaps an ending to the series and, if I'm not mistaken, got the opposite. I'm ready to jump back into the "Romans in Space" just as soon as the next book is released. Maybe in a hundred years or so we'll have the technology to do justice to a series of books like these in a television or movie format, but were it done today, I don't think it could hold a candle to the books.

This morning I finished The Breach, by Patrick Lee. More a thriller than anything else, with a bit of sci-fi tossed in for good measure. The title is an opening into another dimension/place, where various objects come through on regular intervals, all with certain abilities, some which are apparent and others that are....not. I've already ordered the second book in the series as I'm curious as to where this story might go, some of the twists I saw coming but the ending was unique.

Ursula K Le Guin died this past week. One of my favorite authors when I was a teen. :(

The Lathe of Heaven actually freaked me out when I read it! (Was smoking too much weed LOL.)

Some authors are so good, that they don't need to write horror to scare you. She was one of them.

I finished reading Child of a Mad God by Robert Salvatore, which I found to be quite unlike his other novels. This setting is far more mature than his other books, and in a place that is totally his own. It was a very different read, having read many of his prior books, and I look forward to future volumes in this new series of his. Free from any dungeon and dragon restraints, he was really able to cut loose in a world all his own.

started reading An American Marriage by Tayari Jones

Completed the second volume in the Demon Cycle Series, The Desert Spear. The beginning is a rehash of some of the prior book, but with the perspective changed to another protagonist. I'm no fan of the Krasians though, in some respects I find them worse than the corelings. It is interesting, however, to read about how Ahmann Jardir rose from his humble beginning to become a contender. I'll be starting the third book after I finish the one I picked up last night.

Back
Top Bottom