Neutrinos are FASTER than Light !

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
WOW ! O_O

THAT was unexpected !!! O_O

There IS actually (seemingly) something out there that is FASTER than Light ! O_O

Uh. To Physics this is like … The end of the formerly known world. This is like 2012 to modern particle physics, if this proves to be true.

Read more here : http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110922/full/news.2011.554.html

Alrik

im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg

The experiment covers 732 km. There is a 60 nanosecond discrepancy. Huge instruments are involved. Draw your own conclusions. :)

ed: My critique is aimed at the press release, not at the post. From what I read elsewhere the research team released the result publicly since they've checked all known error sources and is looking for outside critique of their experiment.

We still need more science post here. Too much politics. :)

Last edited:
Yepp, it takes a bit more to overturn relativity. Safest bet is on inaccuracy.

Posted about this in another forum. Frankly, I think it's either procedural error or an error in the calculated distance and/or time.

For instance, what if time, as we perceive it, actually sped up for the neutrinos, therein allowing them to cover the distance in a larger amount of [their] time? Then we would incorrectly assume that they were traveling faster than they actually were.

We know so little of physics at the quantum level that this 'news' is akin to a 17th century Puritan proclaiming that rocks should be able to float if they were to witness the Wright Brothers' flight. And this is all assuming there's been no experimental error, which I'm more inclined to believe.

A human construct might not be real?

That's a shock, let me tell you :)

Hours, Minutes, 365.25 days - those are human constructs... time itself is not however.

For instance, what if time, as we perceive it, actually sped up for the neutrinos, therein allowing them to cover the distance in a larger amount of [their] time? Then we would incorrectly assume that they were traveling faster than they actually were.
Surely they must have covered this?

The linked article from above actually has a few tries to explain this thing to me.

The thing I personally find most reasonable is that if light particles actually "interfering" with other particles - and the Neutrinos don't, the poster said (if I understood him correctly).

Neutrinos, b the way, are still not very much understood, so there might be all kinds of things going on there.

Even that Neutrinos do have mass ast all is relatively new knowledge.

well its just one experiment. It needs to be reproduced by number of other teams. Thats whats they want anyway.

Exiting times either way.

We still need more science post here. Too much politics. :)

The reason why you get too many politics post is anyone can join in and talk crap and still feel they are "right" by saying "wells its your opinion" etc. However they can't do that with science so you get less posts :)

Generally speaking in the U.S., Sports >= TV > Politics >>> Science

This status quo of complacency for the past ~40 years makes me very angry. I shipped a telescope to my 8 year old niece but I'm told it still sits in its box; but she's been mentored to be a great soccer and softball player, so that's what counts, right?

Adding fuel to the fire of my tirade, I would say that the problem with science & technology in today's civilization is that the majority of its advancements are driven by consumers and corporate 5 year plans. I am not naive - I will be the first to admit that this has been the case in much if not all of our history from the industrial revolution onwards - but we've reached a point in advancement where we're just so god-damn complacent with the way things are that any progress through consumerism that does occur does so at a snail's pace.

Last edited:
Too bad. It would have been such a surprise ! ;)

Back
Top Bottom