Age of Conan fans?

human_male

Math and girls is hard.
Hiya. I have an account on the official Age of Conan forums but for some reason I'm not allowed to post. It just tells me I don't have permission. I contacted costomer support but they haven't answered. I don't know what to do about it. I've got some questions about the game and don't know where else to ask.

I originally made my account when I bought the game in late 2009 and I could post then. But I've just started playing again and since then I can't post. I'm not a premium member so I wondered if that was why.

Would anyone know what I should do to find out why I can't post?

You might be right that it's because you are not a premium member, Still, I would try emailing customer support again and again but I would also try petitioning GM in-game. Again, you might have to petition more than once since some GMs are better than others (and some are just plain arseholes).

Customer support got back to me (I've found they're actually pretty good at replying prompty) and it is because I'm not a premium member. That kinda sucks but hey at least the game is mostly free. I'm enjoying it immensly. I've never been a fan of MMOs, but I'm loving AOC, especially being a Cimmerian.

Played AoC for over a year. It's a good game but even a good game gets boring eventually but what did it for me in the end was endless grind introduced by the Rise of the Godslayer expansion...
What are the limits with FtP? Can you access all the high level raiding places? Do guilds accept non premium members?

Played AoC for over a year. It's a good game but even a good game gets boring eventually but what did it for me in the end was endless grind introduced by the Rise of the Godslayer expansion…
What are the limits with FtP? Can you access all the high level raiding places? Do guilds accept non premium members?

Wouldn't you expect any game to get boring eventually? What's your favorite MMO, or what can you recommend for someone who like AOC?

I'm not interested in the expansions because I hear they require higher system specs. When I try to enter the gateway to Khitai region the computer hangs on the loading screen. I'm not really interested in guilds either. I prefer to play on my own most of the time but whats nice about the server I'm on (Wicanna) is there are always a couple of other players running around so I can team up with someone if I need to, but it's not too crowded. The silly names annoy me a bit though.

I'm afraid I don't know if guilds accept free members or the high level raiding places (a raid is when you hit a dungeon with some guild mates isn't it?), I haven't tried yet. Just level 24, doing The Wildlands which I hear is one of the easiest two regions.

I don't play it now that it's gone F2P. But I do remember you have to be an active subscriber to post on the forums. Not sure if they changed that after F2P - but it could be the reason.

*EDIT* Oh, I see you already got the answer :)

I'm afraid I don't know if guilds accept free members or the high level raiding places (a raid is when you hit a dungeon with some guild mates isn't it?), I haven't tried yet. Just level 24, doing The Wildlands which I hear is one of the easiest two regions.

A raid in MMOs is basically several groups forming a raid. Example: A regular dungeon requires 5 people, a raid instance could be 10, 15, 20, 25 etc, formed by several groups.

Raids tend to be highest form of PvE content, with the best rewards. However, it's also possible to form other forms of raid, such as PvP raids to attack certain locations, guilds, factions and so on. Again, they're made up by several groups.

I've since learned that the dungeons are in fact locked to free players, well most of them at least.

I'm not bothered, I play to do the quests and there's plenty of those. Though I am getting a little bored of the same equipment I left Tortage with. All the stuff I've been getting as quest rewards are weaker than the gear I already have, and the stuff that's on sale has higher level requirements. I look around at some of the other players who are similar levels and they always seem to have cooler stuff than me, so I'm doubtlessly missing out on some nice goodies from not being able to do dungeons. But never mind.

Why did you stop playing when it was free?

Because of my experience with what F2P does. I wanted to give it a shot, but as soon as I learned they were implementing epic items in the item shop, I decided against it.

I'm not going to subscribe to a game that let's people buy power for money, and I'm not going to play it for free for the same reason as well as how restrictive they were with the classes.

In my experience, F2P means either pay or stay behind everyone else and miss out.

To me, it's not about the money - but about being able to predict the investment. I don't want to end up in a situation where I'm left behind if I don't pay for something. That makes it unpredictable, and I'm the sort of person who either wants all or nothing. This means I'd have to stop playing or start paying more than I'd want to.

Not for me.

That said, I think F2P is fine for players who don't mind spending in that way, and who might not really care if others are "ahead of the game" because they pay more.

Ideally, I'd like an MMO where you can predict the investment precisely - and where your DEDICATION, rather than your money OR "just" your time, was the key to success.

I'm not bothered, I play to do the quests and there's plenty of those. Though I am getting a little bored of the same equipment I left Tortage with. All the stuff I've been getting as quest rewards are weaker than the gear I already have, and the stuff that's on sale has higher level requirements. I look around at some of the other players who are similar levels and they always seem to have cooler stuff than me, so I'm doubtlessly missing out on some nice goodies from not being able to do dungeons. But never mind.
You are missing something HM. In every early area (Conall's Valley, Wild Lands, Gateway to Khitai and Khopshef Province) there are quest rewards and green drops with better gear than Tortage stuff. I do know for sure that Vanir in CV drop a lot of good green gear.

And DArtagnan is quite right. Age of Conan as a FtP seems to be designed to give people a taste of the game and than lure them towards full subscription. You will be fine while you are still discovering what the game has to offer but how long can you take being a second class "citizen" locked out of so many areas and with inferior gear? So, sooner or later, you will have to decide to start paying up or to quit.

Last edited:
And DArtagnan is quite right. Age of Conan as a FtP seems to be designed to give people a taste of the game and than lure them towards full subscription. You will be fine while you are still discovering what the game has to offer but how long can you take being a second class "citizen" locked out of so many areas and with inferior gear? So, sooner or later, you will have to decide to start paying up or to quit.

Yeah, I can't say I'm thrilled about that to be honest, but I'm getting a lot of play and value out of the free service so I'm fairly happy with it. I can't pay because I can't afford that every month (well actually maybe I should check how much it is before I say that) so I'll just play until it's still fun then leave it. Skyrim will be out by then.

Once I've got to the end of the story and levelled up all the way I don't think I'll want to keep playing anyway. I look at the level 80 players running around on their mammoths and battle tigers with their resplendent armour and wonder what they actually do. Is there anything left for them to do?

Not really. They do raid instances over and over, but that's pretty much it.

The "big hope" of the game, to me, was a strong open world PvP integration - but they went PvE instead.

Nothing wrong with that, if you like raiding all the time.

Back
Top Bottom