Four Fresh Ideas to Fight RPG Stagnation @ Bitmob

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Tired of the usual Fantasy tropes, Bitmob has suggested Four Fresh Ideas to Fight RPG Stagnation. They don't all inspire me but certainly some creative settings would be welcome in the genre. One example:
Explore America Before It Was 'Discovered'
You've heard of America, right? You know, that landmass that Columbus "discovered" and Hernán Cortés "conquered?" Well, let's pretend those two events never occurred and play an RPG in a pre-Columbian American setting.
Aztec temple
Over the course of this RPG, players will explore various regions and time periods as notable gods and spirits. Their missions will include developing the small Mexica tribe into the prosperous Aztec civilization, attempting to prevent the Inca civil war that would devastate their domain before the coming of the Spanish, and players will explore the ruins of 5,000-year-old cities.
They'll also travel through North American agricultural settlements, develop trade routes that span the continent, and players will battle rival spirits and tribes.
In this American adventure, you'll reach new eras and regions by traveling through a dream world that you can only access through the powers of the game's main character: a female seer whose immense powers come from the gods. Even though she's a mere mortal, her powers are equal to those of the spirits, and she can summon them at will to halt potential calamities.
More information.

I agree with the first idea.

Lately I've been hankering for a good RPG to play, and it's sad that we've got a slew of new ones but none really appeal to me.

I just can't find myself attracted to Dragon Age, as I've never been big on party-based RPGs, plus the gratuitous use of gore just looks ridiculous imo.

As big of a Gothic fan that I am, I tried the demo for Risen, and it didn't grab me enough to go out and buy the game. - I think it's because the last truly great RPG I played was the Witcher, and I'm still brain-washed from the beauty of presentation and execution of that game. 10 years ago the Gothic formula was revolutionary... but not anymore, and I found myself going 'ho-hum'.

Here's hoping that Divinty 2 delivers something I'm looking for. In the meantime, anyone else have a suggestion???

P.s. - NO turn-based please!!

"The actual gameplay will be that of an action-RPG and a real-time strategy game. Like many games of the action-RPG genre, you can play this Native American adventure as a single-player game, but it'll be most fun when played with a group of friends."

No , i have already play RTS with Aztecs (Theocracy) and MMORPGs are not my thing.

Also in all of his ideas there was a MQ , why can't Developers get over main quests? it isn't that tough to make sandbox games .

IMO just the setting change on the first one would be enough to feel fresh, the messing around with gods & timelines & genre blurring would for my tastes probably be a bit too much.

Back
Top Bottom