Top 3 Star Trek characters

1. Wesley Crusher
2. Red-shirt guy/gal
3. Khan

You beat me to posting this, except I would have said
2. Black red shirt guy
And
3. Attorney Melvin Belli

As a runner up I'd also say Spock's brain.

While I really like Data and Brent Spiner's portrayal - I felt his constant pursuit of humanity was silly and far-fetched. It never made the slightest sense to me.

At least not until his emotion-chip.

Same is true for his countless human-like observations and motivations.

But I agree about Vulcans - I find them rather dull and one-sided.

That's why I'm so fond of Spock, because he's only half-Vulcan - and I find his conflicted nature dramatically appealing - and a much more plausible mirror of the challenges of the human condition.

Gul Dukat was a great villain except for the end bit.

I liked Cracked magazine's take on TNG, "I am Dudu. I am an android. I am stiff and lifeless. The rest of the cast has no excuse." I thought it was appropos.

For my part, I think Data was a great character because:

1. Brent's acting.
2. The episodes revolving around him.

To me, it always seemed Data was played like an innocent child rather than an android without emotion, which is what he was established as.

They utterly failed to justify his desire and quest to be human. At least to me.

I've seen 95% of TNG about 15-20 times, by the way :)

For my part, I think Data was a great character because:

1. Brent's acting.
2. The episodes revolving around him.

To me, it always seemed Data was played like an innocent child rather than an android without emotion, which is what he was established as.

They utterly failed to justify his desire and quest to be human. At least to me.

Oh that's easy. A wizard did it. i.e. Dr Soong made him that way - particularly because he was incomplete without his emotion chip; although his positronic brain was built with emotions in mind which is why he could take issue with Dr Polaski calling him Data instead of Dayta or long for his affection to the late Lt. Yar.

1. Q (It's hard to work in a group when you're omnipotent!)
2. 6 of 9 <AHEM> I mean 7 of 9! :blush:
3. Worf

I just started re-watching the series on DVD. Been a looooong time.

P.S. Isn't @crpgnut;'s #1 pick a bannable offence!? ;)

P.P.S. I don't think it was Mudd on the Tribbles (a.k.a. furry wurry!?) episode. Mudd was in the one with the "beautiful" women and then the androids. The trader in the Tribbles episode did seem a lot like him, though.

Oh that's easy. A wizard did it. i.e. Dr Soong made him that way - particularly because he was incomplete without his emotion chip; although his positronic brain was built with emotions in mind which is why he could take issue with Dr Polaski calling him Data instead of Dayta or long for his affection to the late Lt. Yar.

Let's not forget his inability to use contractions - which is among the most stupid details of the character ;)

Even more so when you realise he's using them anyway.

P.S. Isn't @crpgnut's #1 pick a bannable offence!?

Certainly a bit controversial. Personally, I found myself wanting Wesley dead on more than one occasion :)

Ironically, I really like Will Wheaton.

Certainly a bit controversial. Personally, I found myself wanting Wesley dead on more than one occasion :)
He just did! I'm watching the episode where Riker got the powers of Q and Wesley got stabbed right through the stomach. It will take him hours to.... oh frak. RIKER!! WHY!?

Ironically, I really like Will Wheaton.
Oh, it's the character that's dumb, no mistaking that. The acting seems fine as near as I can tell. There's really a lot of dumb running around in the early part of the series. (The "Picard manuever"??)

He just did! I'm watching the episode where Riker got the powers of Q and Wesley got stabbed right through the stomach. It will take him hours to…. oh frak. RIKER!! WHY!?

Oh, yeah - that episode where Riker turned down ultimate power because of a little Picard moralising ;)

He had the ability to essentially save every life and improve everything for everyone - but nooooo, people should suffer and struggle naturally!

Oh, it's the character that's dumb, no mistaking that. The acting seems fine as near as I can tell. There's really a lot of dumb running around in the early part of the series. (The "Picard manuever"??)

I'm mostly talking about the mature Will Wheaton ;) But yeah, he does a decent job with what he's given.

As I understand it, Wesley was Roddenberry's version of his own younger self. A favorite of his.

Here's the thing about Wesley - its strongly hinted at that he's Picard's illegitimate child. Since Dr. Crusher seems to have the impeccable ability to memorize the entire crew's DNA sequences (at least the bridge officers), she would know for a fact where Wesley's Y chromosome came from.

As I understand it, Wesley was Roddenberry's version of his own younger self. A favorite of his.
!! Wesley was basically a god! He understands everything there is to know about warp theory, knows the Federation flagship inside out (you would think some of that info would be, you know, secret), and he actually created a whole new life form in one episode!
@Lucky Day;, Picard's lawyer will be in contact with you soon about these baseless accusations.

!! Wesley was basically a god! He understands everything there is to know about warp theory, knows the Federation flagship inside out (you would think some of that info would be, you know, secret), and he actually created a whole
new life form in one episode!

And yet, no one ever listened to him. He also recognized what a Dweeb that Reginald "Broccoli" guy was.

@Lucky Day;, Picard's lawyer will be in contact with you soon about these baseless accusations.

He should contact Beverly who seems to think its okay to not only not tell him he has a son, but abandons him with the Captain for entire year!

1) Arex
2) M'ress
3) Data

Back
Top Bottom