Sekiro - Released on Steam

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has been released on Steam.

In Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice you are the "one-armed wolf", a disgraced and disfigured warrior rescued from the brink of death. Bound to protect a young lord who is the descendant of an ancient bloodline, you become the target of many vicious enemies, including the dangerous Ashina clan. When the young lord is captured, nothing will stop you on a perilous quest to regain your honor, not even death itself.

Explore late 1500s Sengoku Japan, a brutal period of constant life and death conflict, as you come face to face with larger than life foes in a dark and twisted world. Unleash an arsenal of deadly prosthetic tools and powerful ninja abilities while you blend stealth, vertical traversal, and visceral head to head combat in a bloody confrontation.

Take Revenge. Restore your honor. Kill Ingeniously.
More information.

Sounds gritty as sand paper :) Thrilled to try it and be destroyed by it today evening.

I've been playing this for about 12 hours now and my experience is similar. The game is brutally hard, but so addictive that it keeps you trying. And since there is "some" progress, even in failure (you lose your "souls" - this time represented as coins, but you keep most of the skill points you get), dying doesn't feel as devastating as in Dark Souls games, so you can take it a bit as if it was a rogue-like, where losing means a setback, but you gained something: knowledge of your enemy, and some extra edge that you didn't have the previous attempt in the way of skills or perks you purchase.

For those who are into this kind of game, this is a must-have jewel.

I'm a huge fan of that time period in the orient, but likely this game is a bit too much action for my liking. I will be reading what people here think of it and seeing if a friend or two has an opinion over the weekend.

Game reminds me of the Ninja Gaiden series.

The trailer is good, and certainly makes the game look very stylish and exotic with good to great action scenes. And I do like the Samurai-like code of honor and all that type of stuff too. For instance, in one boss fight, when the main character bows and says in a servile tone, "I have come for you, Lord" That is cool.

All that said, I'm not a fan of frustrating, difficult type combat systems. Like, where you have to do certain complex moves during battles in the proper sequence and timing...no thanks. I would probably be searching for cheat codes fairly quickly.

That said, if i ever decided to dip my foot into a game like this, this looks intriguing enough to me with the Eastern ninja/samurai theme to be the one I would choose.

Are the pc controls (kb/m) better than dark soul ?

I've been playing this for about 12 hours now and my experience is similar. The game is brutally hard, but so addictive that it keeps you trying. And since there is "some" progress, even in failure (you lose your "souls" - this time represented as coins, but you keep most of the skill points you get), dying doesn't feel as devastating as in Dark Souls games, so you can take it a bit as if it was a rogue-like, where losing means a setback, but you gained something: knowledge of your enemy, and some extra edge that you didn't have the previous attempt in the way of skills or perks you purchase.

For those who are into this kind of game, this is a must-have jewel.

Are the pc controls (kb/m) better than dark soul ?

Controls are a bit more friendly. Camera doesn't tend to go wild and lockon is more reliable than in previous Souls kinda games.

However, you're still stuck with seeing the console button schemes, such as.. press X to jump (and not precisely the keyboard's X). I don't know how much work it can take to change that kind of thing for a developer, but it's what it is, and it's kinda annoying. Other than that controls are fine.

According to the forum there is an option to tell it to show kb/m controls as prompts (instead of controller prompts).

Controls are a bit more friendly. Camera doesn't tend to go wild and lockon is more reliable than in previous Souls kinda games.

However, you're still stuck with seeing the console button schemes, such as.. press X to jump (and not precisely the keyboard's X). I don't know how much work it can take to change that kind of thing for a developer, but it's what it is, and it's kinda annoying. Other than that controls are fine.

I'll probably watch a play through. I'm too old for this type of game. It does look great, though.

According to the forum there is an option to tell it to show kb/m controls as prompts (instead of controller prompts).

This is actually true.. I had assumed not, since by default you're shown controller prompts. But I just checked and you can switch on-screen prompts to kb/mouse based, so that pretty much removes the one gripe I had.

I'm a huge fan of that time period in the orient, but likely this game is a bit too much action for my liking. I will be reading what people here think of it and seeing if a friend or two has an opinion over the weekend.

I'm worried about this too. Looks like a good game but I'm getting old and I don't know if my hand-eye coordination will allow me to get very far. As much as I love the souls games there are a few bosses in DS3 on the 2nd expansion that I could never beat without help from another human player... this game looks like I'd need help with everything and there's no multiplayer (as far as I can tell) so I wonder if I'd get stuck early on.

Spent one and half hour with the game, so Im just at beginning. But it feels like proper FS souls game. Without different weapons and armor. With more story. Combat feels great, fluent and quick. Critical points are indeed dodging and deflecting blows at the right time. But its more than that. For example, deflecting incoming attack too soon still makes you avoid damage, you just dont get possibility for high damage counter attack. Being old fart myself I did not feel too much pressure from combat mechanics for now. But Im sure it will get tougher soon. So my initial feeling is very positive. Looking forward to play more already :)

Spent one and half hour with the game, so Im just at beginning. But it feels like proper FS souls game. Without different weapons and armor. With more story. Combat feels great, fluent and quick. Critical points are indeed dodging and deflecting blows at the right time. But its more than that. For example, deflecting incoming attack too soon still makes you avoid damage, you just dont get possibility for high damage counter attack. Being old fart myself I did not feel too much pressure from combat mechanics for now. But Im sure it will get tougher soon. So my initial feeling is very positive. Looking forward to play more already :)

Most normal enemies are fodder, only dangerous when you start losing patience and play recklessly. Mini-bosses can be a pain. Full bosses are where it gets truly insane…

I have to say, some bosses can be "cheesed" to get sneak attack on them by just hiding from them and coming back when their aggro "resets", but I find that so lame that I couldn't respect myself if I did it. One early example of that is the 2nd/3rd boss fight you'll face, depending on the route you take - a fatso called Jazou the Drunkard.. you can kill his "adds", then hide, sneak attack him, hide, and sneak attack him for relatively easy victory. Fighting him properly is something else though, I think it took me easily between 2 and 3 hours to get past him the "legit" way.

I'm keeping my eye on this now, thanks to the coverage on this site.

I enjoyed the action-based combat (and everything else) in Assassin's Creed Odyssey on hard mode and the Batman Arkham games so that isn't a problem for me, but a game pretty much needs to have an enjoyable compelling story for me to want to keep playing it.

I tried Dark Souls 1 but didn't enjoy it at all after 4-6 hours due to the lack of any compelling story and also due to the lack of saves for 15-30 minutes (which I understand is one of its "features") so I don't think positively of games which try to emulate Dark Souls, but we'll see how it goes for Sekiro.

I'm keeping my eye on this now, thanks to the coverage on this site.

I enjoyed the action-based combat (and everything else) in Assassin's Creed Odyssey on hard mode and the Batman Arkham games so that isn't a problem for me, but a game pretty much needs to have an enjoyable compelling story for me to want to keep playing it.

I tried Dark Souls 1 but didn't enjoy it at all after 4-6 hours due to the lack of any compelling story and also due to the lack of saves for 15-30 minutes (which I understand is one of its "features") so I don't think positively of games which try to emulate Dark Souls, but we'll see how it goes for Sekiro.

Not sure how you went 15-30 minutes without saving unless you just stood in place. Dark souls save after just about everything.

It saves every time you get or use souls, use an item, enter the menu, die or kill an enemy, enter a fog gate, pick up an item, exit the game, literally after any action.

As for sekiro, i need to play more to see. Not loving it as much as others though. Combat seems to just be a race to break posture, which feels repetitive to me in a way dark souls never did. Need more time with the game before forming a solid opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom