Which setting would you most like to see?

D

DArtagnan

In terms of atmosphere, immersion, and exploration, which setting are you dying to see implemented in a game? Maybe it's already been done, but not to your satisfaction - so how should it have been done?

Also, I'd appreciate examples of when a setting has been done particularly well in a game you've played.

For instance, what games have had the best fantasy and sci-fi settings in your opinion?

(sorry, for some reason my head went to mmo's only so I remade my reply :blush:)

World of Darkness Online sounds pretty much exactly like what I've been looking and waiting for. Basically VTM - Bloodlines set in an open world.
I've always wanted something darker than the usual anime or bright fantasy style that usually plagues many games. I want it dark, twisted, creepy and gloomy, set in a modern world. I want to see artist putting their creative minds to the edge to find the most obscure things they can find.
Imagine putting h.p Lovecraft into a game. The Secret World is a great example of this, I absolutely love the style there. As mentioned VTM - Bloodlines also has a great dark setting. Another game that were candy to my eyes was Black Mirror series.
That little extra that pulls me straight at it though, is adding vampires :smitten:

(sorry, for some reason my head went to mmo's only so I remade my reply :blush:)

World of Darkness Online sounds pretty much exactly like what I've been looking and waiting for. Basically VTM - Bloodlines set in an open world.
I've always wanted something darker than the usual anime or bright fantasy style that usually plagues many games. I want it dark, twisted, creepy and gloomy, set in a modern world. I want to see artist putting their creative minds to the edge to find the most obscure things they can find.
Imagine putting h.p Lovecraft into a game. The Secret World is a great example of this, I absolutely love the style there. As mentioned VTM - Bloodlines also has a great dark setting. Another game that were candy to my eyes was Black Mirror series.
That little extra that pulls me straight at it though, is adding vampires :smitten:

Interesting…

I thought the whole vampire thing had gone of out of fashion :)

It seems to me WoD has been a LONG time coming, and I can only hope it will live up to your expectations. I'm certainly going to check it out when it finally arrives.

Bloodlines is a great game with some truly fantastic levels, and who can forget the Ocean House hotel :)

I, too, am a huge fan of the atmosphere in Secret World - and expecially the Solomon Island region. I was pretty much sold once I heard the "Siren's Song" and the quest wanted me to follow it. One of the most powerful moments in an MMO for me.

Oh, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU1qkH7Fwqw

Funny you should mention Black Mirror - because the first game is among my favorite adventure games. I'm actually still playing it - having not finished it yet. Come to think of it, I don't really know why I stopped.

I'm a pretty big fan of Gothic settings overall - and I used to be a big Ravenloft reader. Vampire of the Mists and Dance of the Dead being my favorites in the series.

Thanks for your input!

Screw fashion. I'm not talking about sparkly vamps here. I'm talking classy gothic/victorian styled, murdering blood-drinking loonies ;)
Thanks for mentioning the books though, I'm gonna have to check them out.

I'd love to see a game in a good, classic swords and sorcery setting like something out of Howard or Leiber. Raw, primitive places that somehow still have sprawling, jewelled cities full of thieves, wicked priests, and devilish sorcerers. Strange, exotic lands full of unspeakable horrors lurking in the forgotten tombs of a doomed race long forgotten.

OK, a lot of that's not too different from what we've got now, but it's all in the presentation. No Gandalfs in stupid pointy hats, no clerics, no knights in shining armor, no epic quests to save the world, unless it happens by accident while saving yourself. It needs to draw more influence from Lovecraft than Tolkien, but still have that fun edge that make those stories fun instead of being all plodding and grimdark.

I'd love to see a game in a good, classic swords and sorcery setting like something out of Howard or Leiber. Raw, primitive places that somehow still have sprawling, jewelled cities full of thieves, wicked priests, and devilish sorcerers. Strange, exotic lands full of unspeakable horrors lurking in the forgotten tombs of a doomed race long forgotten.

OK, a lot of that's not too different from what we've got now, but it's all in the presentation. No Gandalfs in stupid pointy hats, no clerics, no knights in shining armor, no epic quests to save the world, unless it happens by accident while saving yourself. It needs to draw more influence from Lovecraft than Tolkien, but still have that fun edge that make those stories fun instead of being all plodding and grimdark.

Hmmm…

Have you checked out Age of Conan?

Sure, it's an MMO - but it's based on Howard and it's quite Lovecraftian in places. It has both humor and unspeakable horrors :)

It also happens to have the best music in any computer game - ever.

I gave it a try, but it didn't grab me. MMOs are just too gamey for me to get really immersed in.

I would like to see these settings

1) Medieval Europe (non/less fantasy) like Darklands
2) The Empire Triology written by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts
3) Wars of Roses

I would like to see Magic and technology world like Arcanum.Only game with similar setting was Shadowrun returns and that game felt underwhelming.Isometric party based RPG set in same world as Arcanum would be perfect.

For book settings I think Peter V. Bret's Demon cycle would be suitable RPG.

Also there have been lot of sci-fi game but I would like to see isometric party based sci-fi RPG.

For non RPGs I would like to see another Discworld P&C adventure .

A setting somewhere in South America, or in Africa.

I would love to see an alternate timeline game similar to Lionheart. I thought the game did great in the first city but then all the combat killed it for me.

The setting is amazing in my opinion though !

I'd love to see more of that and probably with turn based combat in the style of expeditions.

I'll just list three like others have. I could list others but these are the settings I want developers to at least try to make.

1. Steam Punk - Arcanum
2. Modern Day - Alpha Protocol
3. Alternate History - Lionheart

I know that Cyberpunk 2077, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance might be out in the next two years. So that's a start.:)

I'd love to see a good sci-fi RPG that's not cyberpunk, like a game based on the real Star Wars RPG (as in, the d6 or d20 game), set in the real Star Wars universe/timetable, or a Star Trekky exploration-heavy multiple-character RPG.

I'd love to see a good sci-fi RPG that's not cyberpunk, like a game based on the real Star Wars RPG (as in, the d6 or d20 game), set in the real Star Wars universe/timetable, or a Star Trekky exploration-heavy multiple-character RPG.
You have my vote also. I remember a few times there was talk about some developers trying to make one, but nothing ever came of it.:-/

Didn't we have this discussion recently via poll? :p

But, anyway, anything not medieval sword & sorcery... preferably with depth to the ruleset and combat mechanics.

I would like to see medieval styled games with more focus on realism over fantasy, and a lot attention to details. Gothic and Gothic 2 are great examples, I love how everything is thought though, even small things like where to people in this town get their food from or why are there bandits in this cave.

For something a little more exotic, I would love to see an RPG that toke place in some kind of world completely alien to our own and featured people with different moral systems then what we consider the norm. It could be anything from a game set in some kind of hellish landscape to a crash-landed spaceship on some very strange planet. The best kind of example for a game like this in my mind would be Planescape Torment.

I'm good. The Elder Scrolls is my setting. I'd love to go back to Daggerfall's ruleset though; along with all the holidays and feast days, etc. I want Morrowind's factions with much more consequence, I want other realms ala Oblivion, and I want the graphics and interactivity of Skyrim, all taken to the next level.

Basically, I want TES VI, but with way more consequence to your actions than we've seen since Daggerfall/Morrowind. If I join one faction, I want an opposing one to hate me and try to bring me down. Not always by combat, but by raising prices, putting roadblocks up to my progress, etc.

I would prefer for all zombies, vampires, and werewolves to go back to 60's schlock films and stay out of my crpgs. More mythology, much less TV. The thing that the Witcher did best was create unique monsters that stand out from the everyday. I'd love to see Bethesda take notes from that.

Gamma World - If I ever win the lottery I'd try to license and fund the damn thing myself (and that's probably the only way a Gamma World game would ever get made). But the same thing could be made without calling it Gamma World, a sci-fi/semi-post apoc setting with physical & mental mutations playing a major role.

Horror - Either actual Call of Cthulhu, or something of the Lovecraftian type of horror (not vampires,zombies). Inspiration by books of Lovecraft, Laird Barron, Cody Goodfellow & some Clive Barker (Lord of Illusions, Imagica, Weaveworld). Somewhat like The Secret World seems to be (haven't played it) but leaning more towards the horror, and single player. This would work in any modern-ish timeline from the 20's till now.

Wild West - Has there ever been a crpg in this setting? Why the hell not?

Arabian Nights - Either Al-Qadim, or anything in a fantasy middle-eastern mythology/setting.

Superhero - Like Freedom Fighters. Or the Champions or Villains & Vigilantes system made into a crpg.

Steampunk - But as much as I liked Arcanum something very very different from that.

My favourite Setting is the Setting of Arcanum - classical Fantasy meets Steampunk. Now if the Gameplay wouldn't have been so bad…

My second favourite setting is the "Fairy-Tale-Fantasy"-Setting of classic TDE. Very well done in the Realms of Arkania Series and in Drakensang - River of Time (in the later I'm once again not happy about the gameplay but it is decent, als long as you don't play the AddOn).

What I like to see is a Hard SF Game in the Setting of Firefly, or a Hard SF WW3 Game, that plays in 200 or 300 years from now, with factions like the marsian colonists, or genetic engineered Übermenschen and of course some religious fanatics and ultra-capitalists.

Oh, and a WW2-Game with some Cthulhu-Mythos or Zombie-Apocalypse thing thrown in could be nice, if done right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom