Arcania - First Print Reviews

After playing the demo, these bad reviews are not surprising. Honestly, it seems like they are not being as harsh as they could be to the game. This one goes into my "don't buy at any price" category. I wouldn't play this if it was free.

Rumor has it Arcania collected 2 scores >80% in Italian mags.

What are average quests and dialogs? I see a comparison to Two Worlds 2, but from my understanding people hated those so they can't be the "average" right?

Also, surprised…not comment about a buggy mess (i.e. the game seems bug free).

The original review doesn't actually use the words 'bellow average' (wrong translation). A more accurate translation of the used word would probably be 'inferior', 'poor' or, given the used context, 'pitiful'.

The comparison is made with the first Two worlds by the way, it means the conversations in Gothic 4 are so bad, they make the ones in Two Worlds look good.

The original review doesn't actually use the words 'bellow average' (wrong translation). A more accurate translation of the used word would probably be 'inferior', 'poor' or, given the used context, 'pitiful'.

The comparison is made with the first Two worlds by the way, it means the conversations in Gothic 4 are so bad, they make the ones in Two Worlds look good.

You're right about Two Words, I always mix up the 2 names.

And thanks for the clarification.

Ok I tried the demo now myself.

First, I have quite an old machine, and it ran well enough. Dual Core 2.13 Mhz; NVidia 7950 GT and 2 GB Ram on Win XP. It looked well and ran good.

Second, ok the start with the love story was fishy and dialogues were as usual bad. Not that any Gothic ever had good ones. It was different but also like a Gothic still. I looked like a Gothic and the combat was ok too. Not too difficult, but not too easy either.

While it's only the demo, and the shortness sounds bad for so much money, I can't see whats so wrong with Arcania atm. If I weren't entirely broke I'd likely buy it.

Possible I suppose, exploring everything and given all the back tracking of an open world. Once the world respawned with a billion lizards I moved along at a crisp pace. Risen was not even close to the other Gothics for length.

I'd say it was close to Gothic 1, but a long way from Gothic 3 in length.

Overall, I didn't have a problem with the length of Risen. I don't want every game I play to be 100 hours long, and some of them, like Gothic 3, start to drag on if they're too long.

I for one am looking forward to a more linear experince as Gothic 3 was way too open the main storyline was based off of one quest. all the others were take over this town for rebels or orcs rinse and repeat. with buggy monsters.
If it is close to Risen is in linear play i will love it.

Gorath, are they saying it's polished or at least bug free?

That's one thing I think everyone has agreed on with the demo. Not so much whether or not it was fun, but at least it was bug free ;)

I for one am looking forward to a more linear experince as Gothic 3 was way too open the main storyline was based off of one quest. all the others were take over this town for rebels or orcs rinse and repeat. with buggy monsters.
If it is close to Risen is in linear play i will love it.

Are you dreaming? ;)
Arcania is linear. Main quest, 3 side quests, move to the next region, repeat.

Gorath, are they saying it's polished or at least bug free?

That's one thing I think everyone has agreed on with the demo. Not so much whether or not it was fun, but at least it was bug free ;)

Why would you expect them to say something different than everybody else?

Do you know the name of the mags?
I haven't seen any review here in italy.

Some JoWooD gux said the reviews are in:

80% games informer
83% gamesvillage.it

I can't verify this.

I was just curious what a real reviewer said that wasn't based on one month old code or was just the demo. Sorry for asking.

Back
Top Bottom