Hellgate London - Review @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Following on from their first impressions earlier, IGN has posted a review of Hellgate: London with a score of 6.8/10:
So if you read last Friday's impressions of Hellgate: London, you know that we were hoping to spend a little more time with the game before finally rendering our ultimate verdict. Well, after a few more days with the title, we're firmly convinced that our initial impressions weren't far off the mark. The action RPG scores high in terms of atmosphere and the quantity and quality of monsters and loot, but falls far below the mark owing to repetitive combat, generic levels and a multiplayer system that adds little to the single player experience.
More information.

So it falls on Blizzard to make the spiritual successor to Diablo 3 as soon as the search and rescue teams are sent in to dig them out from under the massive piles of WoW money.

Nah, it isn't THAT bad that it deserves a 6.8/10. It's quite addictive for me right now, and I really love the mindless monster slaying and loot gathering inbetween some more serious stuff I have to attend to. For me it's the best game that's out right now for spending 20-30 minutes with and having fun. If they only would allow the iron man mode in single player and from the beginning...

My copy is coming in 15min from UPS. Lucky I just happen to have a day off from work. Ive heard lots of people enjoy the game - even the harder difficulty levels (apparently they are worth playing). Its definetly better than 6.8/10.

The scaling skill system seems really good to me; makes all of the skills viable in some way or another (at least it seems that way). I have real problems with the network though and the story does seem a bit weird - just too silly.

Well, the Diablo story was silly as well - all stories with demons are quite silly, but the appear more silly a a environment of today, I think :)

Minor Spoiler here: Diablo wasn't portal into peoples heads to find out information silly though. This is almost Python out there sometimes; I haven't got to the end of the main story yet though so as always I'll keep my final opinion till I've completed it. I preferred the more colourful characters from the beta as well to the dullards that populate the game now; I think the limited yet fun NPC's of Diablo 2 were better.

I was pretty frustrated with the game issues while playing thru normal ... I will say that elite mode is quite different (more fun than annoying).

6.8 sounds about right ... if they deliver what they promised it will easily jump up to an 8+ ... of course, if you weren't a fan of Diablo, don't bother.

I don't think that a ~7/10 score is too low based on my couple hours of very pedestrian play. This game is making me appreciate Titan Quest more each time I play.

The score is fair but given for the wrong reasons.

The gameplay is brilliant, imo, but the technical state of the game upon release was - and still is - unacceptable.

Got it yesterday, played it a bit now. It's a pretty good game to be honest, but don't expect anything other than a hack'n slash. People expecting an "RPG" will definetly be dissappointed - story, quests, etc is not the focus here: Killing, looting and character building is the only thing you'll get out of this game, just like in Diablo.

It excels there though, and the Templar faction is really cool. Especially the commander in the intro! Inspired me to go all out Templar.

Back
Top Bottom