Phoenix Point - Epic Games Store Announcement

Just to have a client taking a lighter cut on devs, therefore releasing more resources to make awesome vid products.

On the other hand, I don't think any other client service can reach nearly as many potential buyers as Steam, so while they might take a bigger cut, what they are providing (i.e. huge buyer pool) means bulk sales make up for the bigger cut (i.e. volume sales).

I have several "problems" with Epic store:

- no refund option

They don't have a refund policy? That is huge, and while I never return a game on Steam simply because I don't like it, that's still a massive negative against Epic if performance issues or other technical issues crop up.

I really liked SpoonFull's response on why he'll be requesting a refund, I'd love to see them argue his quite valid point.

I think taking a refund because they are no longer offering the DRM-free version is absolutely valid - and so, apparently, do they. I don't think they're trying to argue against his point - they've conceded it up front.

I don't see a problem with any developer choosing which platform to launch their game - that is their choice obviously, but doing it mid-stream while they've already promised certain platforms for backers is kinda disappointing. It would be like if InXile and Obsidian decided to release their future promised games (Wasteland 3 and Outer Worlds respectively) only on the Xbox and Windows stores. Notice - they did not do that. They said they would honor their Playstation release. That's probably what SnapShot should have done with Phoenix Point. Release on Epic with the free DLC but make DLC paid (or even increase the base price- gasp!) on Steam and GOG. There would still be blow-back of course, but maybe that's more honest-ish. Anyway, I was going to buy Phoenix Point on Xbox first anyway, so I don't feel affected. I feel for you backers though. Good luck.

Noone would cry if WL3 gets never made (except it's backers eager for some mmoing I guess). :evilgrin:

Outer Worlds can't go Microsoft Xbox Store exclusivity as the publisher isn't Microsoft. ;)

I have several "problems" with Epic store:

- no forum or user reviews to check k+m support, bugs presence or 30FPS lock with inability to disable motion blur

- no refund option

- not a single "exclusive" title I'd be interested in which includes Phoenix Point, in fact titles coming on it exclusively I consider avoidware (Division 2)

Not only those, Joxer. According to an YT user, the Epic Store has:
No cloud saves
No achievements
No controller support for the launcher menus
No integrated screenshot capture
No user profiles
No mod distribution system
"unfair" regional pricing
bad/unresponsive support
No ability to stream to other devices
No 3rd party keys

Of course some of those features can (and probably will) be added in the future. But the way it currently is, Epic Client is light-years behind most, if not all, other clients.

No cloud saves
No achievements
No user profiles
bad/unresponsive support
No 3rd party keys

Of course some of those features can (and probably will) be added in the future. But the way it currently is, Epic Client is light-years behind most, if not all, other clients.

In my opinion the only thing important missing is cloud saves. The rest is fluff to me.

I actually find this move pretty smart.

Outside of the hardcore gamer niche I'm gonna guess this will be forgotten pretty quickly and epic store will have lots of new potential customers who installed the client.

The younger generation is used to phones with loads of specialized apps and I doubt they'll find it strange in computers.

I think that's right. There is a certain constituency of gamers that is peevish, bratty, and hysterical - that will review-bomb you, pirate your games as punishment, etc. But, in the end I think the fuss will blow over, and most people will buy the games wherever they happen to be sold. I don't think these companies are stupid.

Yeah, and what I'm suggesting is that a bait and switch requires, by definition, the act of baiting. I don't think it's very plausible that they deliberately suckered people in with promises of Steam, planning to hoodwink them with the Epic Store, which didn't exist.

What we have here is a switch, without the baiting. And, because the company knows that the switch they've made wouldn't be fair to backers based on the original agreement, they're offering refunds to those bothered by it. Really, I think people are just crying "scam" because they're pissed off about it, but that doesn't hold up, IMO.
Yeah, I think most people (and laws) consider intent important.

No cloud saves
No achievements
No user profiles
bad/unresponsive support
No 3rd party keys

I never used anything of that. Never had the wish to do so. Am I stupid?

I never used anything of that. Never had the wish to do so. Am I stupid?

No, you're not. I don't mean to call anyone here names. I confess I've used only some of those aformentioned features on other clients, like mod support and regional pricing, for example.

Last edited:
Disappointing as I was looking forward to this one. I play fortnite with my brother so end up accessing the Epic storefront quite a bit. I’ve also picked up some of the free games they have offered that I never got around to buying elsewhere (Subnautica for example). I have bought games from other stores here and there but I really prefer Steam and the majority of my digital games are there. I have no interest in buying games from Epic and i’ll likely be skipping any exclusive titles they acquire.

There are some odd people here. :)

I prefer Steam too, but I wouldn't deny myself a good game just because it's on Epic. It's even stranger to see people say they're not going to buy it from on Epic when they already have it installed on their system.

There are some odd people here. :)

I prefer Steam too, but I wouldn't deny myself a good game just because it's on Epic. It's even stranger to see people say they're not going to buy it from on Epic when they already have it installed on their system.

I don’t really like the idea of exclusive titles. But I’m not taking a moral stand or anything. My desire to not buy on Epic is based entirely on not really liking their storefront, having a massive backlog of games already, and having a ton of available options. If i had no other choice and really wanted to play a game I probably would go ahead and buy from Epic. But missing or delaying a game, no matter how good it is, doesn’t really impact me at the moment so I have the luxury of being picky/weird.

I prefer steam, but I don't have a problem with Epic as a platform, but i'm not going to pay a higher price for the privilege. Ok, so the dev's get more of a cut from Epic, but then they go and increase the price on Epic, so the likes of me ain't going to buy it until its at a price I would normally pay, 3rd party or not.

Yes, some good points made by those who are not gung ho for Epic store. Games offered on Epic should be at least 20% cheaper - consistently - than those offered on steam. Why are most developers asking for the same price as what steam charges when they are getting a much larger cut. Talk about being greedy. They should pass on the savings to their customers.

If Epic store really wants me and others to install their game store, here are some things they could do:

1. Pay me to install their game store. If they said I can pick and get free games from not only their crappy and severely limited selection, but also games on steam.

For example, I agree to install Epic games store and buy one game there at full price in a year. In return, I get to pick 3 full priced games on steam, and Epic will pay for them as a courtesy on the steam store. This is Epic giving me an incentive to install their game store.

2. Make their exclusives "permanent". I hate to tip off the Epic store, but they don't understand some gamers are not only wise but also patient, like me. Why would I buy a game brand new at Epic store at full price when I can wait a year and get it on steam for a substantial discount.

Therefore, exclusive games offered on Epic games should be made "exclusive" permanently. This means, no games offered on Epic will become available later on steam. Epic is trying to have their cake and eat it, and they are not being hard core enough about it. Quite frankly, if they are going to try and force gamers onto their store, they might as well go whole hog - and just go for it.

Hell, I could go even farther, and say that Epic games store should demand any gamers who want to use their game store stop using steam altogether, but I get that maybe this is going too far and seems rather extreme. :biggrin:

People keep saying steam but they also promised gog where you don't need a client or internet connection to install it which can be quite useful at times.

I prefer steam, but I don't have a problem with Epic as a platform, but i'm not going to pay a higher price for the privilege. Ok, so the dev's get more of a cut from Epic, but then they go and increase the price on Epic, so the likes of me ain't going to buy it until its at a price I would normally pay, 3rd party or not.

I've yet to see any game cost more on Epic than it would have on Steam. In fact, Metro Exodus was actually $10 less on Epic.

Yes, some good points made by those who are not gung ho for Epic store. Games offered on Epic should be at least 20% cheaper - consistently - than those offered on steam. Why are most developers asking for the same price as what steam charges when they are getting a much larger cut. Talk about being greedy. They should pass on the savings to their customers.

Since when do developers have any say over the price of a game? The only time that's realistic is when the game is self-published by the actual developer, and most games aren't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom