Larian Studios - Website Tease

I'm currently replaying PoE2 with all DLCs in turn-based mode, and I have to say it's better than I expected. Under that premise, and considering DOS games are some of my favourite games in the last decade, I wouldn't mind if BG3 was turn-based. If it's real-time, that's fine too (fake real time anyway, since everyone pauses every 3 seconds unless it's a trivial fight). Whatever shape BG3 takes, I'm sure I'll play the hell out of it and it's very welcome.

I like that Larian are behind it and I think nobody could have been better for it other than maybe Obisidian, but they wouldn't be interested.

Hopefully it'll have fully supported MP/Coop mode too.

After the last offering from Larian Studios, I admit to being trepidatious about them being able to do justice to this property. While I enjoyed the heck out of the first Original Sin, the second to me was a serious misstep. I'll be watching the progress avidly, and just hoping for the best.

For once I have to disagree with you even though we usually have the same taste in games. I'll agree with the mechanical issues with D:OS 2, though I think the memory stat was a clever addition, there is too much emphasis on equipment and elements. However, I think the story is vastly superior, the humour has been toned down to not be quite as absurd as in the first game, the art style is much more appealing, the companions which were awfully voiced and annoyingly written in the first game have been replaced with interesting and well fleshed out characters, and the world in the first game, which seemed to me disjointed and just sort of a patchwork of dungeons, jokes, and combats has been replaced by a far more organic one. I did finish the first game, largely because I enjoyed the character development and combat. I found myself at times losing track of time playing the second game, because I enjoyed every else in the game and the combat and character development are still good, if not quite so great as in the original.
I think now that Larian has put together a competant team of writers that a Baldur'S Gate 3 is not beyond them.

Last edited:
Some guy from Twitter open the video file in the Larian website with text editor and find texts like this:

Save the video and open it ina text editor Go to line 5678 ><rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">BaldursGate_logo_III_retouched.png</rdf:li> ><rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">BaldursGate_logo_III_retouched.png</rdf:li> ><rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">BaldursGate_logo_III_retouched.png</rdf:li>

<photoshop:TextLayers> <rdf:Bag> <rdf:li photoshop:LayerName="©2019 Wizards of the Coast. All rights reserved. Baldur's Gate,"

So it is real it seems.

I like that Larian are behind it and I think nobody could have been better for it other than maybe Obisidian, but they wouldn't be interested.

I'm not sure why you think Obsidian wouldn't have been interested, but like I said, I don't think they would have been able to outbid Larian anyways.

If it is BG3, the important question for me is if it gonna be an official DnD product(like a 5e dnd rpg).
Does the licence include that? I'm guessing any official DnD must be quite expensive these days.

I'm not sure why you think Obsidian wouldn't have been interested, but like I said, I don't think they would have been able to outbid Larian anyways.

I have the feeling Obsidian prefer to pursue and promote their own IPs rather than bolstering existing ones that don't belong to them. They've invested a ton on creating the world of Eora with its deep lore and even released their own PnP ruleset for it. Larian's world and lore feel pretty "lite" and seems like a good move for them to tag onto an already existing deep, rich setting that lets them prove what they're capable off and cash in from the experience.

With all "proof" listed I'm still not convinced it's BG3.
However…
why have a Belgian company do the sequel to a Canadian developed D&D game? Is D&D even big over there?
I refuse to play mmos so dunno. Maybe Corwin could answer how many belgians are in his DDO guild. :D
Because the couple of years old, forgot deliberately it's title, d&d mmo got shut down, it's now impossible to check how popular it was in Belgium. Maybe it was popular only there, but Belgium doesn't like modern mmo "monetizations" that are scammy so there. :p

That aside, the answer on why would anyone do a BG sequel is simple. It'll sell.
Assuming it's a real sequel and not yet another mmo.

Did wotc have change of heart and bless something that isn't mmo noone can know except them. That's the reason #1 I'm not convinced.

Obsidian's interest + Unity… Won't impress anyone.
Larian has it's own, similar but a bit better isometric engine.

Obsidian can outbid anyone thanks to it's new owner. But why would they? In some future Microsoft will buy both Bethesda (for singleplayer FO continuation) and Bioware (ME and possibly BG continuation). It's $ from singleplayer games we're talking about here. And Microsoft needs strong singleplayer exclusives for it's plastic trash named Xbox, as you've probably heard Sony's plastic trash pwned them with singleplayer exclusives (HZD, GoW, Spiderman).
If you were a newly appointed decisionmaker in Microsoft and checked the past, remember ME on xbox? Add a timed FO5 exclusivity and you got your upcoming console generation covered.

Unless of course the rumors are true where Microsoft and Sony plan to "end the war" and cooperate due to Google's upcoming games streaming service. That public bus/train service won't kill comfy private cars (PCs), but the mushrooms junk will be trashed.

They must make it UgoIgo.

That studio has no experience in RTwP, is not known to be strong enough to cling to their guns and will be pressured heavily in making it UgoIgo anyway.

Instead of delivering UgoIgo disguised as RTwP, they must make it UgoIgo from the start and focus on making it good UgoIgo because UgoIgo is not by itself a guarantee of quality.

A turn-based Baldur's gate would be fine…
BG is turn based, the turn is the basic sequence. BG is not UgoIgo though.

Deleted instead of editing… Sorry.
On Chien's post I can only say man, it's time to chill or find another obsession. :)

The reason I wanted to edit this, I'm now convinced it's BG3 because this;

https://www.resetera.com/threads/la...-3-see-threadmark.119852/page-7#post-21268030
In case there was any doubt, a lot of people are privately confirming to me secondhand/obliquely that this is for real. Holy fucking shit.
It's a post by Jason Schrier, the Kotaku journalist with numerous connections in industry who's insiders so far never lied. This would be the first time they do, the probability of that happening is almost zero.

There is also his newsbit here:
https://kotaku.com/the-makers-of-divinity-original-sin-2-are-teasing-bald-1835128071

Regarding the nationality thing, I don't think it matters much. But do recall that Larian has a studio in Canada.

Also, please make it turn-based and gritty.

A certain birdie has told me there might be yet more news on this :) A certain birdie who used to post on here.

Ack, I was prepared to be cynical about this, but the thought of a new D&D game set in the Forgotten Realms makes me very happy! Hopefully Larian have some good ideas and don't intend to turn it into a FPS like the Fallout revival :)

I don't want it to be dark or gritty though - this is Baldurs Gate, home to giant miniature space hamsters and whimsical side quests etc. More fun than gloom in my opinion, although there was plenty of scope for some dark touches (like the armour you can get made from human skin etc).

From p&p and books to games, I'd love to revisit the Forgotten Realms as the "home away from home" it used to feel like to me. But they so utterly wrecked that setting in 4e that I doubt it'll feel like home at all... as if it had been nuked and then replaced by a Disneyland version of the same place.

From p&p and books to games, I'd love to revisit the Forgotten Realms as the "home away from home" it used to feel like to me. But they so utterly wrecked that setting in 4e that I doubt it'll feel like home at all… as if it had been nuked and then replaced by a Disneyland version of the same place.
5e replaced that shitty 4e version with a proper one again.

After the last offering from Larian Studios, I admit to being trepidatious about them being able to do justice to this property. While I enjoyed the heck out of the first Original Sin, the second to me was a serious misstep. I'll be watching the progress avidly, and just hoping for the best.

Say what? I thought the second one was much better....am I alone in this?

Let me be clear on this, while I thoroughly enjoyed the story of the second Original Sin project, the combat mechanics were subpar beyond belief. The characters were good, the tale woven into the fabric of the game was enthralling, but the combat simply was a mess. That's a big fail for me, I'd rather a subpar story or poor characters rather than such a weak, barely holds water combat system.

Wow, BG3? I'm not dreaming am I? I can't tell you how long I've waited for this.

If Jason is able to confirm his sources, this would be an amazing reveal.

Back
Top Bottom