New game launchers installed, yay!

I don't have an answer other than financial restraint and telling them you won't buy their product with their launcher. They do it because they can.

Sadly I think the ship has sailed on this as well. I think "launcher" or really data collection is here to stay if want the internet. Like you said before, most people have accepted this (50 or so apps on mobile and hence now PC) so the companies can get way with them and financial restraint is not going to hurt them at all.

Let's see I have Steam, Gog, Ubi, Bethesda.net, Blizzard (not Dairy Queen), and Ubisoft so far. I haven't found an Epic game yet that I've needed to buy. I've bought more games and yet played less hours than ever before. I see myself leaving my gaming days behind eventually as even my favorite games don't hold my attention for more than a few hours each anymore.

I've replaced gaming with ever more reading. My kindle library is over 2000 books now, mostly just rented not purchased, and I read royalroad, fictionpress and web serials too.
I also play (piano/keyboards) and listen to a lot of music. I should probably write with as much as I read...

I haven't found an Epic game yet that I've needed to buy.
There'll be an exclusive survival game there one day, and you'll be right there buddy :p

I've bought more games and yet played less hours than ever before.
Same.
My "high-priority MUST play" list is ridiculously long, yet I find myself more and more doing other things, and not really getting as far as I'd like in any of them. I'd like time to stop for a few years, so I can catch up with life.
So many books, so much family stuff, so many programming things, so many games. I also want to get back into PnP RPG stuff, so I've been reading a bit of that, too.
TOO MUCH STUFF.

Game launchers = DRM + Spyware.
But everyone is getting used to them.
Just like Windows Metrics, and every mobile app you install.

I have always included Steam into the same category, personally.

Let's see I have Steam, Gog, Ubi, Bethesda.net, Blizzard (not Dairy Queen), and Ubisoft so far.

I have only GOG and Steam, Ubi which I don't use these days, and … doi MMO Launchers count, too ?
I don't use Steam often, either. Especially since I have fun with other games (DDO right now) these days. I have my favourite "steam" games on GOG, too. So that i can avoid Steam as much as possible.
GOG is the only one I more frequently use.

After using epic launcher for a while now, I have to say... what a sorry mess. This is not a question of overhead, DRM, spyware, or whatever. It's just crappy software quality.

I've only used it for Outer Worlds, but to be honest I launch it from the shortcut and only open Epic if I want to see number of hours played. I played OW for a little over a hundred hours and never got past Scylla. I generally prefer the beginning hours of a game, so played Edgewater 5 or 6 times, Groundbreaker 3 or 4, Monarch twice and Scylla only once. I never got to the end of the game. :D

Epic's launcher is pathetic. Gives away consoles vibes. Shiny, colorful yet clunky. Style over substance, visuals clutter over functionality.

I have 4 games there and so far the only worse launcher I saw is Rockstar's rubbish. Note that I don't have battle.net nor Beth's whatever launcher.

[rant]
It also hangs itself for a few minutes now and then. Or just does not give you any feedback when it does not start a game due to an ongoing update. Also, after finishing a 40 GB update, it decided that it could not start the game, and without further questions restarted the complete download. Hooray. ):
[/rant]

Good reasons to avoid epic; which I shall continue to do....

[rant]
It also hangs itself for a few minutes now and then. Or just does not give you any feedback when it does not start a game due to an ongoing update. Also, after finishing a 40 GB update, it decided that it could not start the game, and without further questions restarted the complete download. Hooray. ):
[/rant]

Epic games is just awful all around. I saw when reading the Red Dead Redemption 2 pc in the reddit forums that the launcher was even causing really annoying bugs in RDR2 and preventing people from enjoying the game. I won't install Epic, period.

No. It was Rockstar's launcher, not Epic's, that caused problems with RDR2.

I don't know, the latest Steam update is a pile of shit, it makes it use more than twice the memory it used to, and I find it less visually pleasing than before.

I like the new steam interface. It looks nice and is easy to use. It’s not really a huge change. It still has the list on the left. It just has the thumbnails now on the right.

Back
Top Bottom