The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

I see a long rant about how the books are far superior to the show in your future.;)

I think if you go in with the mindset to compare every detail to the books you’re setting yourself up to be sorely disappointed. I’m actually kinda glad I’ve never read the books at this point.

In these book to screen translations liberties are usually taken and changes are usually made.

I mean, when do you ever hear someone say “ that movie or show was much better than the books” :)

Yes, I think you should prepare for very long rant :p

/mini rant

I don't have problems with them taking some liberties since I understand both book and tv are different formats and they do need changes. My issues is with dumping down. Even in TV show they can still be subtle about things and they don't need to explain everything in details to the audience. So my criticism isn't about book v Tv rather, the quality of the TV show on its own merit.

/mini rant over!

Yes, I think you should prepare for very long rant :p

/mini rant

I don't have problems with them taking some liberties since I understand both book and tv are different formats and they do need changes. My issues is with dumping down. Even in TV show they can still be subtle about things and they don't need to explain everything in details to the audience. So my criticism isn't about book v Tv rather, the quality of the TV show on its own merit.

/mini rant over!

I get what you mean. I wonder ( and this isn’t meant as an insult to anyone as I’ll be one of those who’s watching over reading) if they think a television audience will need more explaining than a book audience. :)

Kind of wish this wasn't on netflix.

Why? I’d much rather Netflix than network TV that I’d have to wait a week between episodes. Unless you mean another service like Amazon or Disney, but then I’d still wonder why?

Final trailer:

Pretty sure I have convinced even the most sceptic watcher by now :)

Bah you haven't convinced me as I made my stance clear on the first few pages.:p

Nothing personal really I'm just not a fan of most Netflix shows nowadays.

Bah you haven't convinced me as I made my stance clear on the first few pages.:p

Nothing personal really I'm just not a fan of most Netflix shows nowadays.
Well, maybe I convinced you the other way around then.

It's no problem, I never am that enthousiastic as I may sound. Just looking forward to (hopefully) a half-decent fantasy series.

Last edited:
Just like to say I will be avoiding the TV series thread for a while. Don't want my enjoyment dragged down by overly critical people and spoilers.

Last edited:
Watched about 3/4 of the first episode before I had to stop to get ready for work. It's better than I was expecting. Nothing mind-blowing, but entertaining at least.

Cavil surprised me. He must have put in a lot of practice on Geralt's voice because he sounds almost exactly like Doug Cockle in the games.

Watched about 3/4 of the first episode before I had to stop to get ready for work. It's better than I was expecting. Nothing mind-blowing, but entertaining at least.

Cavil surprised me. He must have put in a lot of practice on Geralt's voice because he sounds almost exactly like Doug Cockle in the games.

I fully watched the first episode (and only the first one as I write this). I agree with you, perhaps mind-blowing is not the correct term but the first episode is really very good. I'd give it a 8.5/10.

Henry Cavill seems to be at home playing Geralt. His voice is pretty muck like the video game's character and he's comfortable with the swordfighting, although I didn't like his fight with the kikimora (not because of Cavill but because the underwhelming CGI used to depict the monster). But the fights against human opponnets are very well-staged.

And since The Witcher Netflix series production not only started but it's already done (for the 1st season at least), then this thread kinda lost its meaning. I suggest that someone create a proper thread to discuss the series.

It was okay. My mind wandered, but it wasn't bad.

A question for those who have read the books: the little speech Geralt gives about good and evil and choosing not to make a choice…. is that from the books? Because it's almost word for word from the "Killing Monsters" trailer for The Witcher 3, but I don't know if that was originally taken from Sapkowski's work.

Last edited:
It was okay. My mind wandered, but it wasn't bad.

A question for those who have read the books: the little speech Geralt gives about good and evil and choosing not to make a choice…. is that from the books? Because it's almost word for word from the "Killing Monsters" trailer for The Witcher 3, but I don't know if that was originally taken from Sapowski's work.

I've read elsewehre it's from Sapkowski’s The Lesser Evil short story.

They nailed the atmosphere in my opinion. I’m impressed so far. Perfect no but I was fearing a train wreck so I’ll take it!

3 Episodes in so far:

Acting is excellent. I was waiting for the cheesy fantasy dialogue which never came. The script is not lame recycled fluff, and in fact after what watching for a few minutes, I had to go back to the beginning with the realization that I actually need to pay attention to what people were saying. And there’s a good balance of that along with surprisingly above par action scenes. Cinematography isn’t LOTR but they maximize what they can do according to what they have to work with (Think Pitch Black or Moon). Cavill nails Geralt. Even down to his “Mmmhhhmm” grunt (very hard to tell how well he does from just the trailers), and his timing for the subtle sarcastic humour. Most of all, it pulls you in enough, not just so you pay attention, but are left wanting to find out what’s going to happen to the characters in the next episode. Obviously I’m not even half way through yet so there’s still time to find issues,, but so far it’s ticked every box. I do see what some were saying about certain actors’ races being a distraction, but you can tell first and foremost that acting was taken into account over looks. For only the most obsessed die hard Witcher fanatic would notice, since it doesn’t change story or character development in the show.

Watched the whole season and enjoyed it. I thought the monsters that were depicted were fairly well done; at least for a TV show. I like that Geralt bangs every girl he sees basically. I could have done with less war/politics and way more monster battles, but that's a quibble. Superman did a good job as the witcher. The rest of the cast seems like extras except maybe Dandelion or whatever they're calling him.

Last edited:
A question for those who have read the books: the little speech Geralt gives about good and evil and choosing not to make a choice…. is that from the books? Because it's almost word for word from the "Killing Monsters" trailer for The Witcher 3, but I don't know if that was originally taken from Sapkowski's work.

The capacity to dismiss immediate surroundings is a splendid capacity, a sign of superior minded people.

I've watched the first 3 episodes now. There's been a few cringy sequences, but the acting is ok for the most part.

Triss and Dandelion were both miscast imo.

I thought the fight with the Striga was really good. I liked that they stuck close to the lore there. It's quite similar to the opening cinematic in TW1 except that the Striga in the show looks a lot cooler.

Back
Top Bottom