Last game you finished, tell us about it

Finally finished Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs. It is not a bad game - for the price point decent production value. I like that all the companions (10ish) have different and unique skills. Also the many opponents have different skills and pro/cons. Having said that about 2/3 of the way into the game i was tired of the combat (which I also found rather brutal).
-
The story is mostly basic but the presentation is fairly solid though a bit on the cutsey side if you know what i mean. Definitely not a game aimed at adults but it was entertaining enough and is voiced acted that is decent enough (conversely it does not have the gazillions of words that one finds an rpg such as poe or d:eek:s.
-
Can't really see myself playing again but not sorry I did play and if the developer does another game I would at least check it out - the effort level is very high - the game just doens't quite grab me. Something; though I can't say what; is missing.
-
I did have a few crashes and the limited ability to save can be quite annoying at time as battles can take a long time and if ya gotta leave you gotta leave (i.e, it is possible after an hour or two you haven't reached a save point). The crashing was very annoying esp with this save system but it only happened a few times (3 or 4).
-
I played on linux.

I also quite enjoyed Regalia when I played it a few months ago. It's a solid game, with interesting mechanics and while I don't see myself planning to replay it anytime soon, it wouldn't surprise me at all if I do so sometime in the future. The game did a lot of good things well, and the combat will always leave you wondering just how every single fight will end!

Lost Sea-5/10
Tedious grinding, got very repetitive fast. I'm not sure how the people who platted it before the save feature was added did it.

After 61 hours completed Eternity 2.

I've already shared my thoughts in Eternity and news subsections with perhaps too many details so just a reminder of a sort.
On positive side the game is smoother than it's predecessor, the release version has almost no bugs, the main story and sidestories are interesting, there is humor to find everywhere, voiceover rocks, visuals for this type of game are top notch, (on SSD) loading times are superfast compared to other Unity based games, just as in prequel trashmobs don't respawn, etc.
But not everything is positive, ship management feels halfbaked and leaves a lot to desire, boss fights feel a bit too easy (on normal), choices&consequences are pathetic and feel as added to the game just to have them without any deeper meaning, music is meh, companions and their personal quests/stories are outright horrible, a few soulbound weapons except the talking sword should have been removed completely, there are too many different sword/sabre weapons compared to other weapon types, stuff that happened in prequel affecting this game that takes place basically on another side of the planet is atrocious, etc.

What am I saying? I'm saying all those 9/10 and 10/10 reviewers should be ashamed. This is not a masterpiece nor it's an almost one.
It's an above average RPG that contains no boring filler, fun but without any drool moment.
7, right? No. It' contains an exact amount of humor it needs, and just when you think okay that's it no more laughter, you get talkative Morte and Imp pets to snicker some more. These are not Skyrim backward flying dragon bugs everyone laughed at, these are written dialogues and oneliners that don't feel out of place at all.
Don't skip this game.

8/10

Already skipped it, but that's because I get bored of party games really fast and I prefer 1st person. It sounds like a really good game though, just not my personal cup of tea.

You sure? Kinda can't remember seeing any 1st person survival roguelike… :p

Elex, very underrated IMO, once you get past the first few hours and work out what's going on it opens up into a thoroughly enjoyable RPG 8/10

Finished Battletech; only played the campaign did not try multiplayer.

The good: Combat is a lot of fun and progression is decent
It mostly works and balance is mostly decent
(there are no difficulty levels so if it is too hard…. live with it)
The so so:
There are a few glitches/hangs that require restart/exit (only a few not a huge deal)
There are a few quality of life glitches (like scroll bar on potential salvage being broken)
The last 2 fights of the campaign are both boring and under-developed. These should be large strategic fights instead they are short and boring (well the next to last is drawn out artifically). Campaign ended with a wimper.
Severe performance issues both with regards to disk access but also rendering complex maps and movements. The game is playable (I have an i7 with 1070 and 1440p monitor with all ssd (no hdd)); but it should be a lot smoother; less stuttering when trying to move and the turns are rather slow (but the ai wasn't a total bust).
Many maps are too small and poorly designed (poor here refers to strategic options). Many times I wanted to 'take a ridge' or 'skirt the battle field to flank' and couldn't because the boundaries of the maps didn't allow enough movements to the side. This also meant horizontal retreat could frequently be limited not by landscape but by lack of space. This might be related to the above performance issue or it might be related short development time.

The awful:
While the campaign story is well presented (but nothing unique or surprising - a common theme) with decent cut scenes - the actual text portion is awful, poorly worded, immature and full of clique. Furthermore chances to have a real rpg were blown. They could have meaningful choices, branching dialog and branching campaign. Instead it felt very rush, linear and a lost opportunity.
The 'events' that occur while traveling are very limited and reused too many times. They need more unique ones with more diverse outcomes.
-
Caveat: There are 13 missions - around mission 9 or 10 I went farming - not for the sake of farming but because I was looking for an atlas or king crab (curious); I did find a king crab several other mechs on the way but this might have increased my strength on the end game which was quite trivial. The king crab itself did not help since I found it a lousy mech (or lousy the way i set it up) in combat but wanted to mention this since the game has no difficulty levels and I'm unsure it it uses your deployed mechs or piolets level when making decision on its deployment. Then again you should end up with a set of pilots on the end game with the same level as myself since I used squad B which was not fully developed.
-
As I said the game itself - esp the combat is a lot of fun and i enjoyed listening to the voices and music (though the music is nothign special and repetitive - i still enjoyed it) but the rpg/campaign side/strategic side (small maps) could use a lot of work.
highly recommended but could have been much better.

Finished Dishonored 2 last week. Really liked it.

I managed to get the "bad" ending, despite finishing off all the villains the "good" way and refraining from killing innocents or soldiers as much as possible. Killing evil witches and obviously bad cutthroats did me in, apparently.

I'll definitely get the Outsider DLC at some point.

Finished Dishonored 2 last week. Really liked it.

I managed to get the "bad" ending, despite finishing off all the villains the "good" way and refraining from killing innocents or soldiers as much as possible. Killing evil witches and obviously bad cutthroats did me in, apparently.

I'll definitely get the Outsider DLC at some point.

Going by the wiki, the high chaos ending requires killing 20% of humans per missions. There is a medium chaos and low chaos too.

I really like the combat in Dishonored 2 so it kinda make a "no kill" playthrough hard.

It's not that hard, although you'll have to solve tricky puzzles to pass some instances otherwise easy to move through by wasting opponents.
It does get tedious in the last mission - the place is crawling with witches almost everywhere.

joxer, I love the combat in the game, that means I want to use the combat, not sneak around everywhere. lol.

Allowing players to choose how to approach the game is exactly the beauty of it's design and major reason why I've slapped 10/10 on the first game (the second reason was Dishonored 1 being a pic or it didn't happen proof that M+K is vastly superior to mushrooms).
You can play the game any way you want to, it doesn't force you to do boring chores like their turd Prey with horrible minigames. It's like totally different studio made Dishonored games from the one that made Prey, and it wasn't so (or was?).

Both Dishonored games have superb stories and memorable characters, outstanding visual and sound design, and kill me if I found any bug. That's not all. DLC are separate spinoff standalone stories that may function as games of their own, when was the last time you've seen something like that?

Yet, for some odd reason, Dishonored games aren't mainstream. Dunno why is that.

People don't like to think. Games that you actually have to consider what you are going to do are a turn off. That's the world today.

Allowing players to choose how to approach the game is exactly the beauty of it's design and major reason why I've slapped 10/10 on the first game (the second reason was Dishonored 1 being a pic or it didn't happen proof that M+K is vastly superior to mushrooms).
You can play the game any way you want to, it doesn't force you to do boring chores like their turd Prey with horrible minigames. It's like totally different studio made Dishonored games from the one that made Prey, and it wasn't so (or was?).

Both Dishonored games have superb stories and memorable characters, outstanding visual and sound design, and kill me if I found any bug. That's not all. DLC are separate spinoff standalone stories that may function as games of their own, when was the last time you've seen something like that?

Yet, for some odd reason, Dishonored games aren't mainstream. Dunno why is that.

People don't like to think. Games that you actually have to consider what you are going to do are a turn off. That's the world today.

I'm pretty sure the world as always been like that, it's just people didn't have social media to express how much they hate thinking until a few years ago.

Phantasy Star two, what a gem and still highly unappreciated game, right up to this very day. The only letdown for me in the entire run is the final dungeon, you have two of the most wicked battles in gaming history in one area, but also a place entirely devoid of any real treasure or equipment. Those battles though, the Dark Force being somewhat tougher than the Mother Brain, are quite memorable. When I beat the game years ago my group was higher level than I was this time, and it was seriously more challenging this run. An excellent game, well worth any true role players time in playing.

Not sure if I want to go for Phantasy Star three. That or Dark Sun, I'm just not sure. Oh, and I've a brilliant book to finish as well!

Finally finished Lords of Xulima. It took me 76 hours on Old School Veteran mode (which is the standard difficulty). My party ended up between level 49 and 52.

Great game. I had a few niggles towards the end, as the sheer volume of demon fights eventually got a bit tedious, but it feels a bit mean-spirited bringing them up when I had so many hours of fun overall. Lots of great exploration, combat, and puzzling out what to do. The ending was good, it set up an interesting concept for a sequel. I really hope Numantian Games make it, or at least another RPG.

Finally finished Lords of Xulima. It took me 76 hours on Old School Veteran mode (which is the standard difficulty). My party ended up between level 49 and 52.

Great game. I had a few niggles towards the end, as the sheer volume of demon fights eventually got a bit tedious, but it feels a bit mean-spirited bringing them up when I had so many hours of fun overall. Lots of great exploration, combat, and puzzling out what to do. The ending was good, it set up an interesting concept for a sequel. I really hope Numantian Games make it, or at least another RPG.

Had a very different perception. ^^
There were several mechanics inviting for grinding or promoting "unfun" gameplay.
Also the writing was some of the worst I have ever seen in a game.

That said, I would definitely play a second game of that series (where they hopefully improve on the issues, but in some post mortem posting they said they underestimated them and are aware of it).
Even though I should be happy for them as they are incredibly successful with "There are billions", I somehow suspect that after that success, they will hardly turn back to the small niche that Xulima was in.

The last game I finished was "Dark Quest 2" which is very similar to the Hero Quest Computergame of the 90s. Doesn't try anything spectacular and is rather short (<10 hours) but it also doesn't have any mentionable weaknesses either and was quite fun while it lasted.

Love that game, it's just so hard to remember its name. I was thinking about it a couple days ago and just could not recall the name. (so… thanks)

What I loved about the game was the ability to improve your stats in just about all facets of the game. Fighting, traveling, drinking, reading. Incredible design. man that was a lot of fun.

What I did not like was the story line was completely visible about 1/3 of the way in and there was no way I could alter my fate. So clearly the ending did not surprise at all, however, I am all in for the sequel.

-Edit-
One free copy of Sunless Sea - GoG Edition to give away.
Msg me and the key is yours.

Back
Top Bottom