|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

June 12th, 2018, 16:17
Phantasy Star the third, I believe I'm nearing the final fight for the first generation, then, of course, on to the second!!!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#10661

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 8,384
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

June 13th, 2018, 03:47
Replaying through Baldur's Gate currently, I'm digging the enhanced edition
Tao_ is offline

Tao_

Traveler

#10662

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

June 13th, 2018, 13:20
Originally Posted by martincolins View Post
Fortnite Battle Royale, Pubg and CS: GO
Next one you'll be playing is FO76, right?
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#10663

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,717
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Default 

June 13th, 2018, 15:02
I will never be playing FO76.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#10664

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,220
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

June 13th, 2018, 18:07
Currently playing randomly depending on mood:
- Arc The Lad Twilight of the Spirits: They just added it this month to PS Now so I'm checking it out, so far so good. They also added Wild Arms 3 so it was a pretty good month for my taste.
- Battletech: I'm playing a couple of missions every few days, still loving it.
- Europa Universalis 4: After about 6 months of EU4 rest I started a campaign with Burgundy, was scared of France when I started but so far it hasn't been an issue because of my Austrian buddies.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Dalek SasqWatch

#10665

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tardis
Posts: 5,644
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

June 13th, 2018, 18:42
Originally Posted by Tao_ View Post
Replaying through Baldur's Gate currently, I'm digging the enhanced edition
Yeah the EEs are good! What class have you gone with?
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#10666

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Basingstoke UK
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

June 13th, 2018, 19:21
Agreed, the enhanced editions have all been worth the purchase for me, at least so far. I've dabbled in the NWN one, but haven't fully played it as of yet. The Baldur's Gates games were both fun.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#10667

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 8,384
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

June 14th, 2018, 14:36
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Yeah the EEs are good! What class have you gone with?
I decided to roll an archer and do an evil playthrough. It gives the game a totally different tone and feel, considering I'd always used to play a straight forward chaotic good fighter. I haven't played BG in years and I'm loving it.
Tao_ is offline

Tao_

Traveler

#10668

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

June 14th, 2018, 15:50
Originally Posted by Tao_ View Post
I decided to roll an archer and do an evil playthrough. It gives the game a totally different tone and feel, considering I'd always used to play a straight forward chaotic good fighter. I haven't played BG in years and I'm loving it.
Good stuff! I've been meaning to try an evil playthrough for a while (possibly with a cleric or a thief) and aim for an entirely evil party rather than the usual mixed bag. I'd be interested to hear your reflections when you finish.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#10669

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Basingstoke UK
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

June 14th, 2018, 16:09
Blew through the second generation of Phantasy Star three yesterday, got about an hour into the third before I stopped for the afternoon baseball game. Today I might finish the last generation, and then I might be going to Phantasy Star four next.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#10670

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 8,384
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

June 14th, 2018, 16:10
I could never bring myself to play the evil side
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#10671

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,220
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

Default 

June 14th, 2018, 17:01
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I decided to pick up Rimworld and I'm hooked!! Sunk in 5 hours already, trying my best to not get any of my colonist killed.
This game is intriguing. Tempted to try it out - just how well can you tech up your commune (I'm a big fan of factorio), how are attacks handled?
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Laughing Gnome

#10672

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 4,550
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

June 14th, 2018, 22:12
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
This game is intriguing. Tempted to try it out - just how well can you tech up your commune (I'm a big fan of factorio), how are attacks handled?
I'm playing on easiest difficulty so my colonists started off with pretty good tech. Can pretty much build a shelter with electricity straight away providing you have enough material to build things. So I now have a nice air conditionerd/heated, brightly lit house powered by solar battery. I'm currently researching on making drugs and biotic body parts etc I think the end goal (if you want to follow the story line) is to eventually build a ship and get off the planet you crash landed.

Attacks mechanic is pretty fun. You can get attacked by mad animals, pirates and other raids randomly. I've managed to survive for just over a year now, recruited 4 people (and I killed one of them because she's pyromaniac and kept setting house on fire… Sigh).
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#10673

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,146
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

June 15th, 2018, 01:08
Finished Phantasy Star three today, not quite nearly as long as the previous game. There is also a fair amount of back tracking throughout the game, which isn't my favourite activity, but then again it certainly eliminates any need of grinding at all.

Got about thirty minutes into Phantasy Four, which I suppose I'll be getting back to on Monday or Tuesday of next week.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#10674

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 8,384
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

June 17th, 2018, 10:12
Still on ELEX, now on chapter 4. 45h in. It's a good game but i still have that feeling that the world is a little bit.. dry/boring. One glance at a new area (e.g snowy area) and you have basically seen all the meshes and textures that particular area has to offer. It has extremely low variety in for example flora and some of the textures can be highly questioned (huge rocks as totally flat textures - i thought we stopped doing that in ~'99..).

The world mesh itself is very, very low-poly for a modern game, reminds me a lot of Gothic 2 - very blocky hills, cliffs etc. It's not what you expect in a modern game. I can also tell from looking at e.g tree trunks that they were once more hi-poly and and as some quick remedy for performance they have reduced the polycount on them. The trunks are square and have the typical stretched texture parts (which are introduced when you run meshes trough e.g "Polygon Cruncher".) It's not their best looking game.

Overall i think the game is way too drawn out, but this is a problem for many or even most games. I much rather have a 25h good focused, non-BS game, than a 50-100h one which is just drawn out for the sake of it. "How can we make these conversations as long as possible?", "how many of these types of quests can we do before the player is getting too pissed off and bored?" I wish game devs would not have to do that, but unfortunately there's a demand for so called "long" games. These games aren't long, they are drawn out. It's never considered a good quality for books, it's not considered to be a good quality for movies. But somehow, for this industry it's always good.

Half-way though, the game would have benefited greatly from introducing something completely new to the player. In this game it would have made a lot of sense to make something fun with the jetpack, like being able to fly long distances horizontally. But nope, you get nothing (so far), it's the usual upgrades in armor and weapons. Joining a faction does very little to change the gameplay in any way.

Overall i like it, but it's not Gothic 2-fun, much due to it feeling less focused and being more sloppy overall (which comes almost naturally with the much bigger world i'd say).
(wow, this got way too long..)
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#10675

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 2,665
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

June 17th, 2018, 10:48
Still on DKS having reached the 2nd part I must be on fire. The game is ok not quite as good as I first remembered but not bad. Like all divinity games there can be points of confusion.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#10676

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,220
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

Default 

June 17th, 2018, 11:00
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Still on ELEX, now on chapter 4. 45h in. It's a good game but i still have that feeling that the world is a little bit.. dry/boring. One glance at a new area (e.g snowy area) and you have basically seen all the meshes and textures that particular area has to offer. It has extremely low variety in for example flora and some of the textures can be highly questioned (huge rocks as totally flat textures - i thought we stopped doing that in ~'99..).

The world mesh itself is very, very low-poly for a modern game, reminds me a lot of Gothic 2 - very blocky hills, cliffs etc. It's not what you expect in a modern game. I can also tell from looking at e.g tree trunks that they were once more hi-poly and and as some quick remedy for performance they have reduced the polycount on them. The trunks are square and have the typical stretched texture parts (which are introduced when you run meshes trough e.g "Polygon Cruncher".) It's not their best looking game.

Overall i think the game is way too drawn out, but this is a problem for many or even most games. I much rather have a 25h good focused, non-BS game, than a 50-100h one which is just drawn out for the sake of it. "How can we make these conversations as long as possible?", "how many of these types of quests can we do before the player is getting too pissed off and bored?" I wish game devs would not have to do that, but unfortunately there's a demand for so called "long" games. These games aren't long, they are drawn out. It's never considered a good quality for books, it's not considered to be a good quality for movies. But somehow, for this industry it's always good.

Half-way though, the game would have benefited greatly from introducing something completely new to the player. In this game it would have made a lot of sense to make something fun with the jetpack, like being able to fly long distances horizontally. But nope, you get nothing (so far), it's the usual upgrades in armor and weapons. Joining a faction does very little to change the gameplay in any way.

Overall i like it, but it's not Gothic 2-fun, much due to it feeling less focused and being more sloppy overall (which comes almost naturally with the much bigger world i'd say).
(wow, this got way too long..)
I think you notice all these things because you have worked on mods and seem to be very familiar with gaming artistry. I would never even have thought to look at those points

I haven't played through it yet, but from what I have read about the game from other watchers, it does seem like they made the game too long. I think the same was true for Gothic III (which I played for over 100 hours and never finished).
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#10677

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,075
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

June 17th, 2018, 11:18
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I think you notice all these things because you have worked on mods and seem to be very familiar with gaming artistry. I would never even have thought to look at those points

I haven't played through it yet, but from what I have read about the game from other watchers, it does seem like they made the game too long. I think the same was true for Gothic III (which I played for over 100 hours and never finished).
Yeah i got close to finishing G3, but didn't. I think it's rare that i feel "oh man, i can't wait to see how this one ends!". I can probably count those moments in games on 1 hand.

This trend with "long" (=drawn out) games must be something introduced by demands from kids? I mean for them games are very expensive so of course they want them to be as long a possible and demand it, to get their money's worth. I really wish devs would not listen to it, it makes games so much worse. What if it was introduced for movies.. "i won't watch if its not at least 4h!!!!" the horror… movies has gotten longer though, but within bearable range.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

#10678

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 2,665
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

June 17th, 2018, 13:02
All it needs now is one of those Flora overhauls. Leafs and shrubbery, tall grass and small grass, from the hills to the plains!
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.
BoboTheMighty is offline

BoboTheMighty

BoboTheMighty's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10679

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Croatia
Posts: 3,738
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

June 17th, 2018, 13:07
For large open-world RPGs I love when they're epic in scope and length. But not every game needs to be the same. I like the 100+ Elder Scrolls/ELEX epics and also the 40 hour Vampire: Bloodlines or 20-25 hours Chrono Trigger, etc..

Speaking of Bloodlines, that's what I'm playing now. Second run through it, this time as a stealthy Nosferatu (first time was a Tremere with blood magic.) I'm reminded again why I thought this was the best RPG I've ever played at the time (first played it a few years back.) This playthrough has been much different so far. I've noticed a ton of little dialogue details, choices and things playing out differently than my first run. Really enjoying it. And to those who asked about installing the Unofficial Patch, it's dead simple. Just download the patch (linked on Steam in the Guides section) and then just open the .exe and install it like anything else. It does all the work for you.

I'd recommend installing the Plus version of the patch (you'll be prompted during installation to choose Plus or Basic) as it's a completely seamless experience and the restored content/tweaks are all high quality and blend in perfectly. The game still looks great, a little dated but still very nice. It's really a must-play CRPG. There's a staggering amount of love that went into this game and it shows greatly. It's hilarious at times, yet deep, dark, sometimes disturbing, creepy or even downright scary at times (that damn hotel ) Lots of choices to make with surprising twists and consequences. Great story with multiple endings. Astoundingly excellent atmosphere and lore. Faithful pen and paper adaptation of the ruleset. You'll never look at RPGs the same way again IMHO. It sets the bar way too high.

Deleted User

Guest

#10680

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:19.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch