Shadows: Awakening - Preview @Gamecrate

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamecrate previewed Shadows: Awakening.

At first glance, it's easy to think of Shadows: Awakening as somewhat Diablo-like. While the game certainly shares many elements with classic PC RPGs, it also manages to infuse a cool duality-based gameplay mechanic that's sure to make it stand out. In addition, the game is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in addition to PC, so now you've got a game that's even more accessible than most traditional PC-only games of this ilk. Suffice it to say that if you're a fan of hack-and-slash RPGs, Shadows: Awakening should most definitely be on your radar.

Developed by Games Farm, Shadows: Awakening is the next entry in the Heretic Kingdoms series. But you don't have to have played the previous games to jump right into this. And given how intriguing this new title is, it's certainly a great jumping-on point for newcomers.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

This game came out in 2014, why are they still talking about it? It was pathetic then and looks 98% the same as it did four years ago.

This game came out in 2014, why are they still talking about it? It was pathetic then and looks 98% the same as it did four years ago.
Well that's because the first game was never completely finished, and the developer sued the publisher to get the IP. It was one huge clusterfuck on both sides.

It is supposedly a complete rewrite and includes book 2 which was never finished due to publisher going bankrupt. Owners of the 2014 version will get this for free (think of it as dinvinity -> enhance divinity - 'cept as I said this is supposedly a major rewrite instead of tweaks).

Well now I've watched the supposedly new build and I'm just not seeing much of a difference at all. I'm wondering what is new outside of a few graphic tweaks. Everything the crate site mentions was in the original Awakening in 2014; except maybe possession of enemies. I'm not positive if that was in there. I do know that I made a backup of my current game and will be doing file comparisons once the "new and improved" version shows up :D

Note, I'm aware that there will be more content after book 1, but I'm wonder if there is anything at all new in the parts we've already played. The game wasn't very good, so there needs to be a compelling reason to replay it.

I love single-player kill/loot games but S:A was a big failure on the loot/build carrot.

No clue I didn't play the first. Also it is quite possible they reused the original trailer. Anyway hopefully the second is better than the first as that first didn't receive much love from fans.

I'm a huge fan of Kult or Heretic Kingdoms. The attunement system in that game is really cool. Too bad they dropped it in S:A.

Back
Top Bottom