RPGs are becoming "less relevant" according to Bioware

I think we need to change the headline: "Bioware is becoming less relevant according to RPGwatch."

The market will always be there. If they leave it, someone else will fill it. And that's a good thing! :)

OKay, but there's a twist :

The market for Adventure Games is still there - but almost no-one outside of Germany knows about it ...
Not in a larger scale, at least ...

The market for Adventure Games is still there - but almost no-one outside of Germany knows about it …
Not in a larger scale, at least …

And it is a darn shame. There have been plenty of good adventure game, or hybrid games with strong adventure elements in recent years. Games like Gray matter & The whispered world shows that there is still a place for (relatively) high budget pure AGs.

It is inappropriate to talk the world into even more "rpg crises". A lot of people like the original rpg-format, buy a lot games (many rpg-fans are collectors) and are true fans of the genre.

If Bioware doesn't want to make rpgs - I already skipped DA 2 - others will fill the void.

If Bioware doesn't want to make rpgs - I already skipped DA 2 - others will fill the void.

QFT. I have to say after reading this my finger is hovering over the 'cancel' button on my SWTOR pre-order. I am hoping this will be the old Bioware's 'last gasp' and deliver on being KOTOR 3 as far as the stories go. If the MMO portions are solid then that is a bonus.

Realistically, everyone knew this would happen once EA assimilated Bioware. That company is gone. And according to EA, they aren't interested in developing 'new IP', just making yearly sequels to existing properties. In fairness to the former Bioware employees, they either fall in line with EA's wishes or... well there is the door. Tough call in that industry and this economy.

Realistically, everyone knew this would happen once EA assimilated Bioware. That company is gone. And according to EA, they aren't interested in developing 'new IP', just making yearly sequels to existing properties. In fairness to the former Bioware employees, they either fall in line with EA's wishes or… well there is the door. Tough call in that industry and this economy.

Well the old Bioware was already changing long before EA bought them imo, but I still agree with what you're saying. As it stands right now, Mass Effect 3 might be the last game I purchase from them.

The market for Adventure Games is still there - but almost no-one outside of Germany knows about it …
I'm not really concerned about mass-market appeal. There's atleast enough of a market there to make it sustainable. I would actually say it's been growing a bit if you consider Telltale Games (Sam & Max, Money Island) and Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain).

Besides, I still buy them!

You know, I'm interested in adventure games but I honestly don't know where to find out about them and what sites talk about them in depth. Sometimes Steam will have some on sale and I will grab them but other than that I just don't hear about them. The only exception was LA Noire which did generate a lot of buzz.

I think we need to change the headline: "Bioware is becoming less relevant according to RPGwatch."

I like it... But I was thinking more along the lines of,

"Bioware is fast becoming entirely irrelevant to RPG fans."

Back
Top Bottom