RPGWatch Feature - Game of the Year Awards 2019 - Best RPG

Thanks for doing the vote!

2 Disco Elysium
[...]
4 Outward
I guess I'll give these two a try.
Waiting for a discount though.

All other games scored a percentage of less than 1.5%. And for the record, The Outer Worlds had 20% of the points, Disco Elysium 17% and Greedfall had 15%.
That's quite close.

But the game we apparently liked most was None, which had 25% of the votes.
That says something.
Would have been remarkable if it actually was rewarded with gold. ;)

Very interesting. It was definitely a year for indy RPGs to have a good shot at getting a top 10 place, I'll have some fun researching the three or four I didn't notice arrive in 2019.

I am SO disappointed in you people right now...

… and I'm proud of us.

But the game we apparently liked most was None, which had 25% of the votes.
Very proud, my game ranks number 1.

For the first time I didn’t vote ... because the only game in the Top 10 I actually played all the way through was Queen’s Wish, which I liked quite a bit but which is definitely not worth a ‘GOTY’ from a RPG site.

Need to buy Disco Elysium - will do it on next sale! And as noted elsewhere will but Outer Worlds on Switch when it comes out in a few weeks.

Congratulations to None! I reckon I'm not the only one who have yet to play DE, I might have given it my vote if I had the time to actually try it out. Same goes for Greedfall in my case, I do plan to get it eventually but…

Perhaps our new standard should be to only include games that are about 2-3 years old in the GOTY, then I could keep up. I *think* I've played most of the candidates from 2017 now.

Last edited:
I haven't played DE yet but from what I've seen I will probably like it. Greedfall was my #1 and The Outer Worlds was my #2, both very enjoyable (but not great) games, so I am glad for the 1-3 spots as they are.

I have been on the fence about getting Outward because of comments that while it is good in the beginning it gets less enjoyable later, but I'll probably get it at some point.

I just finished and somewhat enjoyed Operencia, but the others on the list don't look like the types of games I would be interested in (I may be wrong).

I have to agree with others here I have yet to play most of the games on the list as I fall farther and farther behind in my backlog each year. The only reason I played Outer Worlds is I got it free with a CPU purchase.
Thanks for all the work making the list and compiling the votes.

@Myrthos; the article says there are no editors choice awards, but Greedfall is marked as editor runner up?

… and I'm proud of us.
I'm proud of us also.

Definitely better than the Codex top picks.
@Myrthos the article says there are no editors choice awards, but Greedfall is marked as editor runner up?
Not enough votes for any game to win the top two spots is my guess.

If true Greedfall should be first then.

It was always going to be close between the top two picks. Probably a matter of which style you prefer.

My Editor's vote:

1. Greedfall
  2. Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions
  3. Disco Elysium

I haven't played The Outer Worlds yet. I have used 2019 to catch up with some older Indie RPGs and I wasn't dissapointed. -> look here

6 Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

nice to see my pick at least made the top 10. More of a RTSG but it had quite a lot of story.

Perhaps our new standard should be to only include games that are about 2-3 years old in the GOTY, then I could keep up. I *think* I've played most of the candidates from 2017 now.
Yes, we should have a GOTY post mortem...

Reminds me of gamasutra's post mortem articles which I really loved to read.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...e_postmortems_every_developer_should_read.php

Apparently for BG2 they implemented all features requested, without any plan or give priority to some. It's a miracle something coherent came out of it at all.

Back
Top Bottom