Lunacid - Early Access Version released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Early Access version of the dungeon crawler Lunacid is now available:

Lunacid

Lunacid is a first person dungeon crawler inspired by old FROMSOFT games like Shadow Tower and King's Field.

Long ago a great beast arose from the sea and covered the earth in a poison fog. Now those deemed undesirable are thrown into a great well, which has become a pit of chaos and disease. You awaken in a moonlit subterranean world, having been thrown into the Great Well for crimes unknown. The only way out is to go further down and confront the sleeping old one below. On the way there will be many creatures and secrets to discover.
More information.

inspired by old FROMSOFT games like Shadow Tower and King's Field.

That immediately got my attention. I was going to wishlist it, but I went ahead and purchased it when I saw the price. I rarely touch early access games, but I'll check this out just to see how reminiscent it is of those old FromSoftware titles.

This was actually released on March 15th. Reviews are very positive so far.

Similar to JDR, this piqued my interest and purchased it. It works fine on my 12 old laptop and the control are responsive with nice physics as you bump into things. Only had time to try it for few minutes - many classes to choose from and the Steam reviews indicate huge levels in EA version.

I like this little indie overlooked project - they show promise and value (like Soulash which is a surprise rougelike).

Oh yes, mentioning King's Field grabbed my full attention. I don't do early access so I'll be watching to read what others think of this before making a determination for myself. More power to the indies!

I played for a bit last night. It's kind of rough right now imo. I'm surprised it's as popular as it is.

It definitely has a FromSoft type of atmosphere. Combat is very simplistic like it was in their older games, but exploration seems to be the focus here. One thing I don't like is that some NPCs have a sort of anime style to them. The game has potential though.

A solid exploration factor is enough to bring me to a game and likely tether my frame there for quite a while. And I like simplistic combat, if it's done well it is never boring, what people don't seem to understand often is you can over-complicate battle mechanics, to the point where it can turn people off.

Played more, got my first sword and explored more. Nice dungeon design where I discovered that the paths are connected with resting crystals where you can save and level-up (similar to bonfires in dark souls). Found two rings (method of casting magic): one for illumination and the other casts fire beams. Very nice and relaxing music. Good monster design so far (with different melee and ranged abilities). Enjoying this so far.

I just bought this and tried it for an hour or so.
Initially, very underwhelmed, but I kept going and have to admit that my first impressions were wrong. Great exploration and excellent atmosphere (love the soundtrack). The only thing I'd change are the awful anime portraits that seem very at odds with the rest of the game.
Other than that, it's shaping up pretty well.

I'm glad someone took a gamble on this one, Shagnak, and kudos for sticking with it though initially not impressed. I'll be reading more of your thoughts on this one!

I just bought this and tried it for an hour or so.
Initially, very underwhelmed, but I kept going and have to admit that my first impressions were wrong. Great exploration and excellent atmosphere (love the soundtrack). The only thing I'd change are the awful anime portraits that seem very at odds with the rest of the game.
Other than that, it's shaping up pretty well.

Glad you like it. I haven't went back to Lunacid since playing for a few hours after I purchased it. I'll probably wait a few months before checking it out again to see how it's evolved.

I think the hardest thing for me to get past was the PS1 era graphics. I agree the exploration is really good though, and some of the Steam forum posts I've read indicate there are a lot of cool secrets and easter egg type things to find.

Back
Top Bottom