CRPG Addict - Review Roundup (Part Five)

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Sorry I haven't been updating my Review Roundup. I blame Terraria and Frayed Knights for my lack of updates. Those two games had me hooked for the past few weeks.
So let's get started with one of the best games I played as a child and still replay to this day:
Starflight (1986) - Game World. Absolutely top-notch. You have an entire galaxy to explore with a fascinating backstory that is sketched out in the manual but only fully revealed as you explore, find artifacts and messages, and talk to various races. The lore is unique and interesting, the final twist is amazing, and some mysteries persist even after you've won. Unlike almost every other game of the era, your actions measurably affect the game world and your relationships with the various alien races. I can't think of many games that do it better. Final score: 9.

Final ranking: 53. This puts it with Ultima IV but not quite as high as Might & Magic I. I don't know how well this reflects the game. Perhaps I need to add an "addictiveness" handicap to my rankings, because there's just something ineffably compelling about Starflight. From the moment I started playing it, I played it for a few hours every night.
Sword of Glass (1986) - Gameplay. If it wasn't for that damned permanent paralysis and sleep [Later edit: wrong about this; see here], I'd rate the game pretty high. Although it's "linear" in the sense of being a single-dungeon, multi-level game, it doesn't restrict where you can go in the dungeon. It seemed to have a good balance in terms of monsters, you level at a good clip, and the cooperative multiplayer is quite impressive. It's not replayable except to the extent that any roguelike is replayable. Score: 5.

Final score: 27. That puts it on par with Rings of Zilfin and some of the roguelikes for enjoyability. It's worth a rainy afternoon but not a week.
Tera: La Cité des Crânes (1986) - Look, I'm man enough for a challenge, like playing a game without any instructions, or playing a game in a foreign language. Just not together at the same time. And here's the other thing: I'm not entirely sure that Tera isn't really stupid. I mean, like Ultima II stupid.

So I'm going to move on to Wizardry IV for now, but I'll think about giving Tera another try if someone comes up with a manual (one that doesn't require telechargement, thanks, Murlock) or if any reader who has played it can give me some advice.
Wizardry 4 (1986) - The difficulty of the game is one thing, but what really killed my enthusiasm for Wizardry IV is that it doesn't include any of the elements that I like about CRPGs. Oh, it has an interesting back story, I grant you, and a very original approach. But there's virtually no character creation or development: you start off as the same Werdna every time, and you only "develop" by visiting successive pentagrams; there are no experience rewards for your eons of combat. There are no meaningful NPC encounters, no economy, only one pathological main quest, extremely linear gameplay, and an overall experience that's exasperating instead of challenging. It features some of the tactical combat intensity that I liked about the original Wizardry, but limited in that you can only control one character. The graphics and sound are an insult at this stage of CRPG development.

I'm giving it a 30 on my GIMLET scale and moving on to 2400 A.D., but I do so with some remorse. Actually finishing this game, without cheats or walkthroughs, would have felt like a real accomplishment. Unfortunately, I just don't have that kind of patience.

2400 A.D. (1987) - 2400 A.D. takes place at some unspecified point in the future on a planet technically known as XK-120 but called "Nova Athens" by the residents. Colonized by earth for its mining potential, it became a major center for learning and culture, but over the course of a few decades it was conquered--along with many other earth colonies--by an alien race called the Tzorg. To keep order among the human populace of Nova Athens, and in its capital city of Metropolis, the Tzorg staff...More information.

Maybe I was just an Origin fan-boy. Okay, skip the "maybe" - I was a total freak-show Origin fan-boy. But (not so) hard on my (tepid) outrage about Autoduel, I must hear of another of my childhood favorites, 2400 A.D., being described as "meh"!?

Okay, well I can totally understand that. For someone without the benefit of nostalgia I can imagine 2400 A.D. seeming a little dry. But I will say that, at least with the benefit of nostalgia, 2400 A.D. was still fun to play when I last replayed it a few years back. While it is indeed confined, I felt it had a lot of depth. Not story depth, no, but game-play depth. I really liked the tether mechanic, where you had to check every X turns or become an enemy of the state, as you had to plan more and more for later excursions. I liked the variety of equipment you could find/build. The dialogue was simple but pretty good for its time. It had some interesting puzzles. And, what I think it pegged really, really well, was exploration. I really enjoyed exploring the small city of that game. It felt like it had a life outside of the main character (at least for its time). I loved finding new nooks and crannies, new black market dealers, ultra weapons of death pieces in dumpsters. It remains one of my favorite games.

I also found, at least at the time, 2400 AD a lot of fun.

I played Starflight on the Sega MegaDrive (in US afaik called Genesis). Great game indeed. Does anybody know how it compares to the PC original?

Back
Top Bottom