Quantcast
NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon

Default NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon

November 21st, 2017, 06:49
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Man, I was told I couldn't blab about this till tomorrow. What a gyp…….

Yeah, I'll be buying this. Come at me
Let me know if its worth the purchase
Silver is online now

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#41

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:03
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
If you feel the same way here is a relevant wishlist entry.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/p…_return_to_gog
Wow. I read some of the posts in that link. Some middle-aged dudes reeeeeeally don't have enough important things to worry about. Also, I have to wonder how many of those guys complaining about lack of choice aren't really just uptight about the inclusion of a "trans" character in Siege of Dragonspear.

Speaking as a Mac gamer, I can't wait for this. The original Mac version of NWN hasn't worked in years and I'd love to have a native version running without Wine. Thanks, Beamdog.
Clocknova is offline

Clocknova

Watcher

#42

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:04
I found an enhanced GUI mod for NWN for you Fluent. Its 1080p at least.

https://neverwintervault.org/project…i/enhanced-gui
Silver is online now

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#43

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:10
Here's what I don't understand about the anti-enhanced edition argument:

If you're old enough to have played and loved the original versions, you clearly already own them. So why do you care? Anyone too young to remember the originals are far more likely to buy a modernized and fully supported version than they are a creaky, dated original. If the enhanced editions rekindle interest in these classic games and get more new gamers into them, particularly if more people start modding again, then it's a win-win.
Clocknova is offline

Clocknova

Watcher

#44

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:15
Originally Posted by Clocknova View Post
Here's what I don't understand about the anti-enhanced edition argument:

If you're old enough to have played and loved the original versions, you clearly already own them. So why do you care? Anyone too young to remember the originals are far more likely to buy a modernized and fully supported version than they are a creaky, dated original. If the enhanced editions get more new gamers into these classic games, particularly if more people start modding again, then it's a win-win.
Because alot of these old games have mods that are not supported by the new versions. Also they do not have the same artistic vision behind them of the original creators and contain many fixes for modern player sentiments which destroys the feel of these games for those that played them originally. This is not true for Planescape EE but I think it is for the BG and IW EEs. It is like some of the modern Final Fantasy re-releases that uprez the sprite art and smooth them out but lose something in the translation if you know what I mean.
Silver is online now

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#45

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:19
But you can still play the old version. And, quite frankly, so can anyone who buys the enhanced editions, as the old versions are bundled. You already own the originals, so it won't cost you a dime. And I still say the existence of the enhanced editions will make new gamers more likely to experience these games.

Also, in the case of NWN, they say that original mods will work with the EE.
Clocknova is offline

Clocknova

Watcher

#46

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:22
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
So they will presumbably remove the original NWN from GOG which sells for $9 and now charge $20 for the enhanced edition 'effort'. Fuck these fuckers.
So you're one of those glass half empty people.

Lets see how this will turn out before drawing out pitchforks.
Dez is offline

Dez

Dez's Avatar
Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

#47

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,084
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:24
Originally Posted by Clocknova View Post
But you can still play the old version. And, quite frankly, so can anyone who buys the enhanced editions, as the old versions are bundled. You already own the originals, so it won't cost you a dime. And I still say the existence of the enhanced editions will make new gamers more likely to experience these games.

Also, in the case of NWN, they say that original mods will work with the EE.
Sure thats true for this enhanced edition. I have nothing against a new version existing but I wish more care was put into them. Why wouldn't you want the choice to purchase the original game separately?
Silver is online now

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#48

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:29
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
So you're one of those glass half empty people.

Lets see how this will turn out before drawing out pitchforks.
Yeah I'm speculating abit but this removal of the original has happened for each prior enhanced edition. I am glad this is being improved but I think it is disappointing considering what they could have accomplished. Fingers crossed that Beamdogs effort will be worth the price.
Silver is online now

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#49

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:29
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Sure thats true for this enhanced edition. I have nothing against a new version existing but I wish more care was put into them. Why wouldn't you want the choice to purchase the original game separately?
Because the original version came out fifteen years ago and no longer works on my system without considerable effort. And even then, because technological standards have progressed so much since 2002, the game looks old and dated. A modernized version will allow me to enjoy it again like I did when it was new.

This is the same reason I no longer play the original Morrowind, but have transitioned completely to OpenMW, even though it's not technically finished. Every original mod may not work, but the advantages far, far outweigh that disadvantage.

And also, I'm 42. I own the originals.
Clocknova is offline

Clocknova

Watcher

#50

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:33
The original campaign was crap, so I sure hope they include at least all the expansion packs. An EE is pretty cool for all the great mods out there.

The NWN Ultimate edition was given away for free on GoG a while ago, so everybody should have that one anyway. I also still have the DVD box (with "disappointment" written all over it).
Darkheart is offline

Darkheart

Darkheart's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#51

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: BW, Germany
Posts: 834
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:34
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Also they do not have the same artistic vision behind them of the original creators
To be fair, some of those original creators are the same people who made this EE version. Beamdog head Trent Oster was the director and producer of NWN the first time around.

Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
The original campaign was crap, so I sure hope they include at least all the expansion packs. An EE is pretty cool for all the great mods out there.
For $20, yeah, it better at least include SoU and HotU.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#52

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 23,706
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:34
Originally Posted by Clocknova View Post
Because the original version came out fifteen years ago and no longer works on my system without considerable effort. And even then, because technological standards have progressed so much since 2002, the game looks old and dated. A modernized version will allow me to enjoy it again like I did when it was new.

This is the same reason I no longer play the original Morrowind, but have transitioned completely to OpenMW, even though it's not technically finished. Every original mod may not work, but the advantages far, far outweigh that disadvantage.

And also, I'm 42. I own the originals.
Well great. But what do you have against other people having the choice to purchase the original separately?
Silver is online now

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#53

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:37
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
To be fair, some of those original creators are the same people who made this EE version. Beamdog head Trent Oster was the director and producer of NWN the first time around.
True. But individuals cannot replace the work of a team as we have learnt from Kickstarter celebrity games.
Silver is online now

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#54

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:39
Would be cool if they get a new server browser going as a replacement to the old GameSpy one.

@Darkheart - they mention diamond edition, pretty sure that's all official content… Wonder if that will include the extra adventures that need the key generator these days, Wyvern Crown and those other smaller ones.

Wait for the site to go live I guess

--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner
KaosWarMonk is offline

KaosWarMonk

KaosWarMonk's Avatar
Sentinel

#55

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:40
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Well great. But what do you have against other people having the choice to purchase the original separately?
Look, I don't have anything against that choice on its own merits. I'm just trying to apply a little reason here. My point is, anyone invested enough in these games to care about it probably already owns it. And anyone who doesn't own it by now will probably be more likely to buy it if it has better support for modern systems.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you probably shouldn't care quite so much. No offense intended.

And I'll just leave it at that.
Clocknova is offline

Clocknova

Watcher

#56

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 07:43
Originally Posted by Clocknova View Post
Look, I don't have anything against that choice on its own merits. I'm just trying to apply a little reason here. My point is, anyone invested enough in these games to care about it probably already owns it. And anyone who doesn't own it by now will probably be more likely to buy it if it has better support for modern systems.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you probably shouldn't care quite so much. No offense intended.

And I'll just leave it at that.
All good. No offense taken.
Silver is online now

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#57

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 08:16
Originally Posted by Clocknova View Post
Thanks, Beamdog.
Indeed! Thank you, Beamdog!

Not to be hyperbolic (would I ever do that? ), but this is probably the most exciting RPG-related thing this year for me outside of the release of ELEX. I just can't wait to get a nicely-crafted UI and some graphics updates for playing in 4K. It's as if the RPG Gods have answered my prayers.

There are so many good modules for this game. I played Swordflight recently, but only roughly 40 hours of it (it's huge), and intend to continue at the start of Chapter 2 soon. At least now I can do that in 4K and update my Let's Play to continue the series with the EE.

Now, I really, really hope modders pick this up again. I know some still make mods for the game, but it would be cool to see a revitalized interest in NWN and creating modules with whatever enhancements of the mod tools Beamdog is offering. I would looove to get some Planescape modules out of this! I was wanting to play through the Shaper of Dreams module for NWN 2 soon which takes place in the Planescape setting (one of the rare ones, if not *the* only module that does), but that might have to wait for now as I'll revisit some NWN modules when the EE releases.

Any word when the release date is?
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

#58

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,317
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 08:22
Since I don't really see valuable "enhanced" features worth mentioning (for me), I don't find this a welcoming news. Graphics is fine for me, modules work, game runs fine on my PC etc etc

If this "EE" don't include 2 expansions and breaks compatibility for existing player made modules, seriously don't see any reason to be delighted about this news.

EDIT: Many modules require expansions + CEP hak to work. If they are truly working for "backward compatibility", it should include expansions.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale I, The Aielund Saga, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#59

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

November 21st, 2017, 08:25
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
If this "EE" don't include 2 expansion and breaks compatibility for existing player made modules, seriously don't see any reason to be delighted about this news.
At least downward, upward and sideward compatibility seems to be in, so existing and coming mods should profit from an EE.
Darkheart is offline

Darkheart

Darkheart's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#60

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: BW, Germany
Posts: 834
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:04.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch