Project Eternity - Update #49: Water, Trees, Day/Night, Lighting

That is fantastic!! Wow, I haven't been this impressed since BG2 but now I have 2 projects that I look forward to! (This and Torment). I hope they continue on this track because I was a little worried that PE didn't sound as organised as Torment, as most of things were thrown in without much planning (at least it sounded like that) for extra pledge amount when the kickstarter goal was met within few days (or was it hours?) time. I enjoyed BG2 a lot more than PS:T so it is obvious that I think PE is a more my cup of tea than Torment. But now I wish the best for the both games so I can spend most of my 2014/2015 absorbed into these games, and take a long break from WoW!

I wonder though, if they have to pre-render this stuff in 3D to produce the baked-in lighting, do they really maintain the advantages of doing a 2D game?
The real advantage is artistic freedom and control. The artists choose one angle for each scene and can paint by hand upon the 3D render and tinker with the look to get the desired result from that particular angle. Of course there is also the advantage of not having to bother with the backside of things. What is not visible from the chosen angle requires no work at all.

Back
Top Bottom