RPGWatch - Outland 17 Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Couchpotato and GrenadeTree Games answer your questions about Outland 17.

Couchpotato: Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer a few questions about your game Outland 17: Void of Liberty. Can you share a little background information about yourself and your game studio Grenade Tree Games?

GrenadeTree: I grew up playing games, so you can say it's been a lifelong dream. It wasn't until college that I actually got the ability to make video games. I started making with cell phones in college. This was back in the day when phones were monochrome and you had to carefully choose which platform and model you wanted to support.

It wasn't until I went to Mt. Sierra College that I got the opportunity to learn programming and project management. (Back then there weren't college programs on game development, you had to research yourself by reading articles and going to conventions like GDC.)

For my senior project I produced a game with classmates. This is where I met Rob, a fellow alumni. He and I figured that the best way to start getting experience was to jump feet first into development. It was there in the halls of school that we started practicing with pen and paper prototypes of games. We even called people over to try out new changes we had made and got them to sit with us and play!

Our team grew from there as we took our project forward by refining elements of gameplay, visual style, and narrative. We formed a name for the team, Grenade Tree Games, and took a prototype of our game to E3 2013 to display at the Ouya booth. We’ve grown even more since that year and now are ready to push our project into full development through crowdfunding.
More information.

Interesting interview. I like the setting and tactical turn based games.
GrenadeTree Games seems to be a down-to-earth realistic group of RPG-fans and developers. They know exactly what the want to do and don't aim too high.

Thanks and Good Luck with the project Outland 17: Void of Liberty!

I'll keep an eye on this.

Looks like it could be an interesting game.

I have a few issues with these types of games if they're only about combat a la Blackguards, but if there's some more meat to it and combat is fun, I would certainly buy the game.

Looking forward to some more updates.

Nice interview Couch. A lot of good questions. Interesting concept for a game. Could be a bit of fun to be had. I'll keep an eye on this one.

I'm JC the producer, thank you so much for your comments. Encouragement is the fuel that keeps us working hard.

If you haven't done so yet, do me a favor and head over to Square Enix's site and give us a vote. Today is the last day to vote! If you somehow missed it, join the mailing list and we'll keep you updated.

Thank you for the interview JC is there any progress with the Square Collective yet? I also see that you guys posted a new update about one of the games advisers.

So keep up the good work.:party:

I'm JC the producer, thank you so much for your comments. Encouragement is the fuel that keeps us working hard.

If you haven't done so yet, do me a favor and head over to Square Enix's site and give us a vote. Today is the last day to vote! If you somehow missed it, join the mailing list and we'll keep you updated.

I've upvoted it.

Your welcome, it was our pleasure.

We have a little less than 2 hours to go until voting ends on our project so we are working hard on a final push. Every vote counts at this point.

Overall the numbers look good. We should be finishing with at least a 81% approval rating. The next step will be waiting on The Collective to get back to us on the due diligence process.

We love knowing talking with people and hearing what they want to know about our game. Looking at the final comment that was posted, we made a last minute update. If anyone hasn't seen it, check it out.

I want to thank everyone who has giving us their support. The Collective has been a lot of work, but it was worth it. Everything we learned and improved will go into the kickstarter.

Congratulations Grenadetree.:celebrate:

Your game was successful with 81% voting yes, and 19% no.

I wanted to update the article here to let you guys know we've been alive and developing this whole time and we've finally got a demo out to the public! We've gotten a lot of positive feedback so far and would love to hear what you guys think.

Download available at GameJolt or IndieDB

Back
Top Bottom