Fallout 4 - Survival Mode Overhaul & DLC Soon

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Game Informer They announce that Fallout 4 DLC is incoming along with a reworked survival mode - akin to Fallout New Vegas perhaps?

You've explored the Commonwealth. You've picked a side. You've probably even dabbled (or completed) a second (or third or fourth) playthrough. Your wait for new adventures is almost at an end.

Bethesda isn't ready to delve into details, but the publisher is suggesting our wait for more gameplay is almost at an end. A pair of tweets this afternoon points to an imminent announcement about what's next.

We know you're ready to learn what's coming for Fallout 4 DLC. We're not far off, and we think you'll be excited.
- BethesdaGameStudios (@BethesdaStudios) February 11, 2016

We're also doing a complete overhaul of Fallout 4 Survival mode. Food, sleep, diseases, danger and more. Stay tuned.
- BethesdaGameStudios (@BethesdaStudios) February 11, 2016

Bethesda has promised that the $30 season pass will save purchasers at least $10. Beyond that, we're not entirely sure what's coming.

For more on Fallout 4, check out our review.

Our Take
The Fallout 4 season pass was short on information, leaving us to speculate based on previous Bethesda Game Studios titles. It seems like we're likely looking at two expansions given the price. However, it's unclear how meaty they will be or if they'll take us to new locations.

We're certainly eager to find out what's next. And we're quite interested to learn more about official mod support.
More information.

When it comes to gameplay beyond creating a hiking simulator to play dressup in, I hold absolutely no faith in Bethesda and will wait on mods. I've already wasted enough time with Fallout 4 to suit me a couple years; perhaps after such a time, some poor sods with no lives will have torn out F4's hamfisted dialogue, quests, and loot and replaced them with choices that matter. But that's a monumental undertaking, so I won't hold my breath. And, even if it were done, it would not be voiceacted, so as such it wouldn't be as popular as your typical adjustable boobs mod.

Speaking of mods, where the hell is the GECK????

Meh. I'll simply continue to hope Obsidian gets a crack at Gamebryo 5.0.

Cool, I completed the main quest and put in 60hrs, but there are still loads of places for me to explore on the map. The incoming DLC will be a good reason to fire this up again! I wonder where they're going with it.... There were rumours of an underwater DLC a few months back, I doubt it was true but it will be interesting to see.

A survival mod would be cool, even if it only offers an outline. One of the problems with other Skyrim and Fallout survival mods is they they often aren't compatible with each other, it would be cool if the all worked off the same framework.

I wish they would hurry up and release the GECK. I believe it's already been slightly longer than it took Bethesda to bring out their other creation kits, probably because of Bethesda.net mod integration. It's a shame because most of the best mods will still be from sources like the Nexus due to their dependence of script extenders (which I assume mods from "official" sources won't support).

Personally, I hope their shift towards Bethesda.net falls flat on its face. Script extenders (f4se and eventually otherwise) provide way too many tools to work through and around that clunky 15 year old Gamebyro engine; if they want to eventually monetize other people's work, perhaps they should get off their laurels and code a new engine so people don't have to continually use workarounds.

Wow, this is the first time I have seen a company offer a season pass and not say anything about what kind, how many pieces, or when content will be delivered. 3 months after release and 4 months after they started selling the season pass and no information other than "trust us, it's a good deal." Yikes, I like Bethesda, but no specifics is why I haven't bought it.

OMG! Fallout 4, it's not an RPG! Bethesda! They're so awful, they're worse than Hitler!

I have 123 hours in the game so far. What I'd really love to see is a big expansion of the crafting and building, including the ability to completely rebuild the environment with pre-war modern technology. I could spend a lot more time in the game if they do that. It would be the most awesome crafting/building world seen yet.

Well, they could make the player disappear and then your "son" goes on a search for his Dad.
And then, one day, the boy stumbles on an air purifier…

Well, they could make the player disappear and then your "son" goes on a search for his Dad.
And then, one day, the boy stumbles on an air purifier…

Didn't they do that whole Dad search in Fallout 3 plus water purifier shenanigans. Anyways I'm hoping that Bethesda will rethink the conversation system in the DLC and provide more options besides combat. Maybe then I'll be interested.

I am tentatively excited for the DLC. I am not into realism in games nor extra hard modes or survival modes - would prefer more companions, content to explore, and quests. Still some of the survival stuff is fun if it doesn't have to be combined on some ultra-hardcore difficulty mode.

But what I would really like to see is this ... big spoilers ahead so you are warned.

I would like to see them add a DLC that would expand on the ending of the faction stories (perhaps one DLC for each or one large combined). Beth did start this idea. I have noticed that after the "end-game" with the Brotherhood of Steel (BOS) that as you explore the wasteland you start to see the BOS in more places. For instance I find them shopping and eating at Diamond City. I also run into small patrols fighting enemies all over the CW. I get a quick radiant quest to "defend the checkpoint" and can help them.

So my idea is to take this to the logical end. For example with BOS they should slowly have more BOS fortifications and bases appearing around the CW (replacing the ones used by raiders and mutants). More troops show up everywhere and the player gets to help push the enemies out of the CW. Slowly all the "enemies" are pushed to the frontier (the edges) and the player will only find enemies at the edge of the map areas - and they will be the strongest (the hardest to push out) and in the deeper "dungeons."

That way you can still play and level after "end-game" but eventually the wasteland will be "safe" from the view point of whichever faction you allied yourself with. It gives some nice purpose and extra game play while being dynamic. I can't see why they couldn't do this since they made a step in that direction. Even just showing more presence by the "winning" faction would be cool.

For the RR, who are the weakest, they might have to be allied with the MM (as at some point if you fail a certain quest Desdomonda will tell the player they need more power then the RR can provide and to seek out the MM for help). The MM then would show up more and have bigger settlements with more people in them. All the ones you are helping to make and defend would become stronger. Until the CW was safe and well populated.

For the INST I was thinking maybe something darker. The Synths might take over (above and below) and you have to fight them off. More Synths would start appearing on the surface replacing real people or just in general. A few options for this faction and this could also be tied to the Railroad - meaning if sided with the rail road another option might be some kind of Synth rebellion only in this case you would help the synths.

Just think they could make things more dynamic on the ending so you have a REAL impact on how the story wraps up.

Will be curious what the DLC offers but excited for some more game play from them. While I still have so much left to do in the game it gets less interesting once the main quests are over I think. Still fun but not as fun if you know what I mean.

Oh and I would love to see the cut content on Danse and the BOS put back. Would like to fight Elder Maxon and become the new elder and re-instate Danse into the BOS.

I am tentatively excited for the DLC.
I'm still not buying it.
The game was good and instead of moving to FO5 they're now putting out DLC... Not interested.

They just tweeted they are accepting pre-orders on their next game. "Whatever it is, it will be at least worth $60." It is expected sometime.

The next game is Dishonored 2.
I'll definetly preorder it and am shelling out even if they ask $100 for it.

They just tweeted they are accepting pre-orders on their next game. "Whatever it is, it will be at least worth $60." It is expected sometime.

Eh, kind of reminds me when buying Kinder surprise as a kid. LOVED those things. Bethesda seems to be going for the same business model. :p

I'll pick up any Fallout Four extras on a serious discount, no need at all to play the first day out. However, should Xcom two release any more content, that I'll be buying and playing on the very first day. Believe that.

Back
Top Bottom