Wasteland 3 - Designing Towns and another Free Game

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wasteland 3 is into the last three days and has released a couple of updates that are of interest. The first explains how George Ziets, lead area designer, is approaching designing towns in Wasteland 3 and the second update expands the free game offer to include Shadowrun Dragonfall as long as you have pledged $40 or more.

As part of our final push, we have another promotion for you guys! Thanks to our friends at Harebrained Schemes, we're offering a free copy of Shadowrun: Dragonfall to all backers $40 and above. This applies to everyone who pledges during our campaign as long as your final pledge is $40 or more - either through a reward level like Wasteland Scout, or by adding add-ons to an existing pledge!
[...]

As you may know, I'm currently the Lead Area Designer on Torment: Tides of Numenera, and I've also done writing and design work on a number of other RPGs, including Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. Today I'm going to describe my approach to designing a city or town in an RPG (and along the way, reveal some of our initial design thoughts for WL3).

At the start of the design process, the first order of business is always research. I try to find out as much as I can about the town's existing lore, dig up any maps that might exist, and search out preexisting stories, characters, and landmarks that could spark fun ideas for quests. For example, when I designed the town of Mulsantir in Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, I delved into some really old Forgotten Realms sourcebooks, looked for references to the town, and jotted down notes on everything that sounded interesting. Partly this is to reward fans of the setting and surprise them with references to people and places they know and love... but it's also an effort to gather as much creative ammunition as I can. I find that my imagination works best when I have plenty of disparate elements that I can fit together in interesting ways.
More information.

Mmm, Colorado Springs didn't seem all that interesting. Plus it's a long, boring drive up from Denver. I guess we'll see what they make of it. :)

A MMO gives a free phonegame to backers?
I wouldn't believe if I didn't read. Any more bad jokes today?

LOL okay... Reading between lines, that means Fargo stinks (too)? :evilgrin:

A MMO gives a free phonegame to backers?
I wouldn't believe if I didn't read. Any more bad jokes today?

What about… achievements from both MMO and phone game needed to finish single player? :p

Note: I'm not from Joxer's planet, I just answered… :biggrin:

Wow, so now it looks like I'm getting two free games just for backing Wasteland 3.
lol, this is nuts. I already got a game for being early in the Fig campaign, a game that I had been planning to get for a long time, the well reviewed rpg/adventure game Stasis, (it got adventure game of the year at a great site for adventure games, adventuregamers.com) and now I'm going to get another game, what looks like an isometric science fiction "new" old school style rpg in Shadowrun: Dragonfall. I was just reading the reviews for it and looking at screenshots on steam, and it looks good to me!

If you add up both of these games using their prices on steam, that is $35 worth of games I will be getting free for my pledge of $45…and that isn't including Wasteland 3 - what a sweet deal. And a few people say that some of us are crazy by backing these rpg games so early…doesn't seem so crazy to me!

Well to be fair; both games being offered can be found on sale for much less than $35; and also let us consider that many rpg players have one or both games already.

If my copy of Stasis had actually been a disc like in Ye Olden Tymes, I would've mailed it to you for nothing.

If my copy of Stasis had actually been a disc like in Ye Olden Tymes, I would've mailed it to you for nothing.

I suppose it will be a Steam code...meaning you can gift it if you want too. I was considering taking Underrail and gifting it.

Back
Top Bottom