Video Game 'Wolfenstein II' Angers Nazis With Make America Nazi-Free Again Slogan

R

RPGFool

It seems that Bethesda's upcoming Wolfenstein II is generating lots of controversy including the Newsweek headline story that begins:

"It's a hell of a time in America when a video game taking an anti-Nazi stance is considered by some to be too controversial. Yet here we are."​

According to the Newsweek article, a promo video linked on Twitter showing, "heavily armored, mask-wearing, jackbooted soldiers marching through the streets," and including text reading "Not my America," produced the result that "a certain subgroup of folks got angry online with the game-maker, Bethesda Softworks".

A spread in Rolling Stone, calls 'Wolfenstein II' a "Nazi-American Sitcom" and says the game "has several disturbing, fully realized television shows embedded within it -– all viewable in televisions spread throughout the fictional towns"

Here's a clip, "I'm still going to have to inform on you!" taken from the Rolling Stone spread:

Wolfenstein II releases October 27.

__

RPGFool is the new Damian ;)

On a side note, Newsweek and Rolling Stone can go fuck themselves.

*Edit* My bad… I mistakenly thought they were denouncing it for having such content, but that's not the case. In fact, the guy from Rolling Stone is apparently quite impressed by the game overall.

Last edited:
dafuq?

Why do yellow magazines contain articles videogames content? How about some coverage on microtransaction and gambling scams instead?

dafuq?

Why do yellow magazines contain articles videogames content? How about some coverage on microtransaction and gambling scams instead?

Coverage apparently is becoming widespread if not viral -- apparently Bethesda's marketing campaign has generated sufficient controversy to qualify as news.

Business Insider explains the controversy:

"Not My America" and "Not My President" were popular slogans used by various immigration and civil-rights groups during protests against President Donald Trump's controversial policies and statements — including his broad travel ban and his initial response during the deadly Charlottesville riots, which were largely sparked by the "Unite the Right" white-nationalist rally.

"Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus" is set in an alternative universe 1960s where the Nazi regime wins World War II and rules Europe. The protagonist, as part of a resistance, navigates through Nazi-occupied America in over-the-top action sequences that have gained a cult-like following among gamers, especially after its original 1990s hit, "Wolfenstein 3D."​

From what I've seen, the game has a distinct 'Fallout-esq' type of feel, such that it might justify a new visit to the FPS genre. Am in 'wait and see' mode,

__

I hope the game is actually good. Otherwise, they are just cashing in on current political turmoil. (E.g. art is good, exploiting for profits with crap game is not so good.) Sorta like this.

Last edited:
Nazis have been *THE* people to kill since… well, the original Castle Wolfenstein from back in 1981. Everybody hates'm all over the planet so they work great (except they have swastikas, making it impossible to sell in Germany, but those aren't too hard to edit).

Development for this game started a few years ago and it's a follow-up to a game made in 2014. No way is this game a response to Trump or nationalism in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'not my America' bit is new but I wouldn't be surprised if it pre-dates last November, either.

The previous game was definitely good, in a single person FPS sort of way… oh, and called Wolfenstein: The New Order! That whole 'New World Order' thing is passé now, right?

The previous game was definitely good, in a single person FPS sort of way… oh, and called Wolfenstein: The New Order! That whole 'New World Order' thing is passé now, right?

I wasn't blown away by either The New Order or The Old Blood. I thought they were just slightly better than average shooters with really crappy save systems.

I'll still probably preorder The New Colossus though in the hope that it's going to be an improvement. I've been a fan of the series since RtCW and even played the original Wolfenstein games on the C64.

Back
Top Bottom