Tyranny - Dev Diary: Sirin

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
In what is the last of the development diaries Obsidian have shared some details about Sirin, Archon of Song, who is a potential companion.

Sirin caused the death of more people before she was seven than most soldiers do in their entire careers. One of the few mages on Terratus who was born with magic, Sirin first displayed her abilities the first time she cried. The midwife assisting with her birth burst out crying and asked what that bright light was and why everything was so cold. Her parents quickly learned anyone who heard Sirin's voice was compelled by the emotion behind it. Fortunately for them, she was a genial and easy-going child, so it wasn't much of a problem. Occasionally they would have to remind her not to use her powers on local children - especially after an episode with a local bully - but there were never any major incidents until she was seven years old.
More information.

the description reads very much like a chanter. Not sure I see much of a difference? I hope they don't simply reskin PoE classes for Tyranny. The setting is quite different, so would be nice to have character abilities that are quite different too.

There are definitely some differences from the chanter class that I see, but they make it clear that this is the class that it's based on. I was hoping for more unqiue classes as well, but the chanter was an interesting enough class in PoE that I don't mind seeing a modified version of it make a return in Tyranny.

So 1.5 years development cycle, reused assets and reskinned abilities. Sounds lovely so far...

the description reads very much like a chanter. Not sure I see much of a difference? I hope they don't simply reskin PoE classes for Tyranny. The setting is quite different, so would be nice to have character abilities that are quite different too.

The game is classless, so they can't really reskin PoE classes...

Companions have unique talent trees (usually 2, but Lantry has 3). The player has access to 6 (Leadership, Power, Magic, Defense, Range and Agility), but none sound like you could get "chanter-like" singing from them. see the wiki.

It looks more like they took an existing engine mechanics (the PoE chanter) and based Sirin's kit on it.

So it's not reskinning but basing azarhal? What's the difference?

So it's not reskinning but basing azarhal? What's the difference?

Difference with what?

It's just an existing game engine feature they decide to reuse for a single character where it happened to fit lorewise to display her "specialness" (she is an Archon afterall). I personally don't see a problem with that, seems that others do, but whatever.

It's just an existing game engine feature they decide to reuse for a single character where it happened to fit lorewise to display her "specialness" (she is an Archon afterall). I personally don't see a problem with that, seems that others do, but whatever.

No I don't see a problem with that either. Perhaps we'll see a cipher character?

To be honest I didn't like the PoE chanter (I got rid of Kana after a few hours), so I'm not that keen to see a companion with an ability tree based on similar skills. But that's just me. Maybe Sirin's skills will prove more engaging for me when I eventually pick the game up.

Yeah if you start criticizing games for re-using class features from game to game then you'd have to criticize almost every developer who has ever made RPGs. At least with Sirin they are taking the time to change and evolve the mechanics of her abilities.

Back
Top Bottom