What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Alrik since you're into animated things it seems, I have to recommend Blame!, should be available on Netflix except in some countries.

It's not as impressive as manga visually, but IMO they hit the softspot with CGI and story where technology went rogue.

Sorry, but anime is not my style.
Plus, I refuse to watch netflix as well.

My current "watching movies" habit consists of :

- watching it in a cinema
- watching at home via DVD

I don't even have a BlueRay player.

I watched an old Spanish spaghetti western (that doesn't sound quite right, does it?) yesterday called Cut-Throats Nine (1972). It has a lot of weird charm and is notable for being the first (only?) gore western. Peckinpah doesn't count. Might be worth watching as a true curio of the genre and for its interesting story but otherwise will probably turn off a lot of fans of westerns, even strange ones.

Thor: Ragnarök. Fantastic, loved it. 80's vibes everywhere, vivid colors and extremely over-the-top. The perfect blend of sci-fi and superhero-movie. 8.8/10

Probably one of the best Marvel movies i've seen.

On Vimeo and Youtube, just today: a documentary about sexual child abuse in Hollywood.
Controversial documentary An Open Secret reveals paedophilia in Hollywood
“What you see in the film is the tip of the iceberg” says producer Gabe Hoffman
According to The Guardian. Two and a half years later it concludes:

When the documentary An Open Secret tried to lift the lid on child abuse in Hollywood, it billed itself as “the film Hollywood doesn’t want you to see”. The marketing tagline did not exaggerate.

The film died upon release in 2015. There was no theatrical release to speak of, no television deal, no video-on-demand distribution.

“We got zero Hollywood offers to distribute the film. Not even one. Literally no offers for any price whatsoever,” said Gabe Hoffman, a Florida-based hedge fund manager who financed the film.
[…]
Hoffman released the film for free on the video-sharing website Vimeo this month after reports about Harvey Weinstein’s alleged sexual assaults set off a chain-reaction, with James Toback, Tyler Grasham and Kevin Spacey among those accused of harassment and worse.
[…]
Hoffman said he had intended to end the free online viewings of An Open Secret on Tuesday, but extended the window until Sunday because of public interest, with more than 3 million viewings on various social media platforms since 12 October.
According to The Guardian, on November the first 2017.

To be seen, just one more day, today, this Sunday, on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/142444429.

Or on Youtube without any adds, at least that is what I have been told:

Bryan Singer… they're comin' for you next, man! They're comin' for you! *patter of not-so-little footsteps*

Thor: Ragnarök. Fantastic, loved it. 80's vibes everywhere, vivid colors and extremely over-the-top. The perfect blend of sci-fi and superhero-movie. 8.8/10

Saw it yesterday. It was a fun movie but I think I am bored of the whole super hero stuff. I just didn't care about any of it. I am not cold hearted person but even if Thor himself died at the end of the movie, I would have left without giving a shite!

We have too many super heroes and none of them are really special anymore. Whats even worse is that they are apparently all in the same world! This makes some super heroes not so super any more but what even worse is that the power level go through the roof and they have to come up with even crazy uber villains with whom you can't really relate etc and you no longer care.

We have too many super heroes and none of them are really special anymore. Whats even worse is that they are apparently all in the same world! This makes some super heroes not so super any more but what even worse is that the power level go through the roof and they have to come up with even crazy uber villains with whom you can't really relate etc and you no longer care.

Which is why movies like Winter Soldier and Civil War are really good, because it's less about who's more powerful, and more about tough decisions.

Saw it yesterday. It was a fun movie but I think I am bored of the whole super hero stuff. I just didn't care about any of it. I am not cold hearted person but even if Thor himself died at the end of the movie, I would have left without giving a shite!

I like these movies once in a while, but i could probably not stand watching a super hero TV series, or several super hero movies in a week.. i watch maybe one every 6 months, and that's enough.

The super villains are usually the weakest part of any super hero movie, and it was the same in this one. I enjoyed the interactions between Hulk and Thor, hell, any interaction with Thor is usually good fun. But i do wish it was even more like Planet Hulk to be honest, and that it would have been even more focused on this seemingly interesting planet, it also needed even more Goldblum (and more gladiator battles!). But all in all, i liked it a lot.

Too bad we had to watch it in 2D (the friend i went with can't see in 3D)..

Wind River 7.5

Not quite sure why I liked this so much, as it was quite derivative. It did have a very unexpected series of events towards the end of the movie - but other than that, it was highly formulaic.

The atmosphere was very powerful, though - as was Jeremy Renner's performance. Same goes for the guy playing the girl's father.

It's really a mood piece more than anything.

After reading it's synopsis, refused to watch The Lobster.
That trailer looks like it's sequel I'll skip with joy.

The Farthest.

Very nice documentary about the Voyager mission.

Killing a sacred deer and Thor were ok'ish (Thor was fun but having seen it i doubt i will see it again); wind river was quite good (one of the better movies in a drab year) but Lady Bird was fantastic.

There are 3 movies I want to see in the near future: coco, wonder and three billboards - can't say if they are any good yet because haven't seen them but maybe in a couple of weeks….
-
Not sure if I have odd taste but i suspect no one else here will see Lady Bird.

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

I thought it was ok to pretty good. Apparently I'm not supposed to like it if I'm familiar with the story and other versions, however, I thought it was a fine modern re-telling and that Kenneth Branagh makes for an excellent Poirot, more in the Peter Ustinov style than other interpretations such as Suchet or Finney.

Didn't like Finney (although I watched him in only one movie). Ustinov and Suchet were different yet both somehow nailed it.
I'm scared to give this remake a try - unless it tops previous films.

Finally got around to seeing Thor: Ragnarok. I wasn't impressed.

It wasn't bad, but I thought the trailers made it look better than it actually was. I also thought they tried to inject way too much humor into it. If I wanted to hear people cracking jokes every 2-3 minutes, I'd watch a comedy.

I suppose I shouldn't have expected more.

Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond

5/10

Sort of interesting, but not really. I mean, if an acting role can't be achieved without becoming a child-like asshole to pull it off, then I'm not sure we're talking about great acting talent. More like stubborn adherence to the Method crutch at a ridiculous cost.

Then again, I don't quite understand why people tell themselves that movies and actors are important. It's just entertainment by regular people who get to play around for a living.

The kind of ego on display here is nauseating to me.

Back
Top Bottom