Microsoft Games - Shadowrun Plans

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TGG reports that Microsoft is considering to make a Shadowrun game:

Microsoft considers a next-gen Shadowrun game; show your support! – Interview with Producer Dan Connery

I honestly didn’t see this interview coming, because the announcement of the next-gen Shadowrun proposal to Microsoft came out of nowhere. Nevertheless, it’s very much true. So I talked to Daniel Connery (the leader of the Dragonpunk team) for quite some time today, and while I was doing so, I soon realized that it would be much better if I turned Connery’s answers into an interview instead of an article (thus the interview that you got infront of you right now). So without further ado, please enjoy our interview with Dan Connery =) (and don’t forget to check out the “Dragonpunk: Tribe of Gods” mod for “ARK: Survival Evolved”!).

Robin TGG:
I think we better set the record straight from the very start to avoid any potential misunderstandings or such. So is it correct that you want to make a remake of the original Shadowrun game? Or is it a new nextgen “Shadowrun” title that you aim to develop? Furthermore, what kind of an game will it be?

Connery:
Sorry for the confusion, but no. We want to create a next-gen Shadowrun platform to allow traditional, new, and mod campaigns. For example, there would be no reason why you couldn’t remake the old games as a mod, just like they’re doing with the SNES game in Shadowrun Returns. There are always challenges with next-gen modding, but as Modders ourselves for the last three years, we know exactly how to handle that!

It would be an Action-RPG/Multiple player title, of course! Like the RPG glory days of Mass Effect with multiplayer elements like Destiny.

[...]
More information.

"Like the RPG glory days of Mass Effect"

O_O

God I hope not. I have two BIG issues with MS(G). First they push windows 10 too hard which basically mean their games will only run on the their chosen platform; second they take these IPs and then fuck them up. But no matter how bad they make them they refuse to release the IP for others to use.

"Like the RPG glory days of Mass Effect"

O_O

You cut the best part

with multiplayer elements like Destiny.

They want their own Destiny game with a Shadowrun painting on it and some story elements (that Destiny already has even if it's like 3 hours long). I can already tell you it's going to be shit.

Oh, boy.

As a years long Shadowrun player, I am stuck somewhere between extreme disgust and extreme shock.

Maybe it will go away if I close my eyes...

For me the most interesting part of this interview is the information that playing RPGs might qualify you for a career in the army.

I'm glad they made a comparison with Mass junk, that means I can totally avoid this drek. Leave the Shadowrun series to the professionals, por favour, stick with your junky Mass crap games with electronic messes.

I liked the games Harebrained made, and I admire them as a studio. I don't actually care about the Shadowrun world, as magic plus tech is not my favorite sort of setting. As long as good devs like HBS keep making decent RPGs, I don't really care about Microsoft's evil plans for the IP.

Robin TGG:
If Microsoft gives the nextgen “Shadowrun” title a go, then I take it that the game will be released to PC, PS4 and Xbox One?

Connery:
Good question. We’re pitching this as an XBox One X exclusive, though possibly with crossplay for PC. Ultimately, it’s up to them.

What the actuall fuck :bigcry: It's not enough that he wants to make it an action RPG plus a MMOish kind of game but make it exlusive as well. What a douchebag.

I sure hope they end up releasing at the same time as cd project red does. :lol:

From the same people who gave us Uncle Clippy, Microsoft Bob, Zune, and Windows 10 upgrades...

Oh Oh Will there be micro transactions and loot boxes too? Please say yes!
:p

What, Microsoft, AKA the Barf McVader of computer games, threatening to mess up ANOTHER franchise?!?! Well, this sounds….flatulent. Completely, utterly flatulent.

Surely people haven't forgotten the mess that was MS' previous Shadowrun game from the Xbox era. It was a horrible multiplayer-only FPS type thing. After that debacle, I would be very sceptical about their commitment to making a proper RPG out of Shadowrun.

I liked the games Harebrained made, and I admire them as a studio. I don't actually care about the Shadowrun world, as magic plus tech is not my favorite sort of setting. As long as good devs like HBS keep making decent RPGs, I don't really care about Microsoft's evil plans for the IP.

perfect answer, yes. I wish they just kept the magic out of it - stopped being a proper Cyberpunk game when they did that. I fantasized about a mod taking that all out. It was also pretty 90's new agey which was dumb.

Surely people haven't forgotten the mess that was MS' previous Shadowrun game from the Xbox era. It was a horrible multiplayer-only FPS type thing. After that debacle, I would be very sceptical about their commitment to making a proper RPG out of Shadowrun.

Exactly what I was thinking - and ran on Vista only due to the DirectX requirements like they thought this was going to be some killer app that would sell the thing.

And Harebrained came out and apologized for that debacle during their crowdfunding, making it clear they weren't going to do that again. Here MS reverses course forgetting the lesson. They must still have some sort of rights to the game to be willing to mess with it again.

BTW, I am finished the HBS games and I love it. Can't believe we don't put it on a pedestal - maybe it it had too much hype from the Kickstarter. Certainly the original save points problem was just that but that was fixed and they never did that again.

Does that mean that we won't see new TB RPG Shadowrun games in the near future? I finished two of the Harebrained's games, I really liked those. I know that HS is busy developing BattleTech, but it would be nice if they continue releasing Shadowrun games in the future.

Last edited:
He lost me at action-RPG ME style with MP like Destiny. Plus, such a game would certainly use the bloody Windows Store.

Back
Top Bottom