Warlock of Firetop Mountain - Review @ RPGFan

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPGFan has reviewed the gamebook adaption of The Warlock of Firetop Mountain:

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

Tin Man Games has carved a niche for itself in the digital gamebook market, with their original 2000 AD's Judge Dredd series and the popular Fighting Fantasy series by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson. The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (WFM) is no stranger to the list as a 1982 paperback by the two aforementioned legends. After a successful Kickstarter that almost quadrupled their $15,000 goal for better artwork for environments and characters, WFM is now available on Steam and coming soon for smart phones and tablets. While I've never played the original paperback on tabletop, it's clear WFM aims to be more than a nostalgia trip.

[...]

Overall, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain certainly has its unique charm—I was captivated for a good amount of time until things started to crash and burn near the end. I have no doubt a demographic exists for those who enjoy exploring and don't mind repeating paths to eke out the best way, but I can't help but feel that the game could be so much better if it had chosen to focus more on one thing rather than both. Perhaps I'm a little too spoiled by Sorcery!, but if WFM had a rewind feature, or even just more save points, I would have stuck around for much longer.

Score: 72%
More information.

Thanks for posting this one, HiddenX.

Ironically - I just sent a draft of my own review to Myrthos last night for approval and so naturally I can't help but compare the various points of focus and opinions on specific mechanics in the game.

This is a much more tightly contained, more in-game descriptive and overall more concise piece than mine. But I'd have to disagree on a couple of the topics, namely the Maze of Zagor (it's not as difficult as made out) and the usage of benches as checkpoints, which was never really a significant issue for me. The point on having a "simple rewind device" (i.e like a finger bookmark) is a fair one however in the light of previous titles, as it would certainly give the game greater more immediate appeal.

I've completed the game five times now and have done a good amount of the individual side-quests. It's probably time for me to take a rest from the game and wait for new content and the epic character tier to be unlocked.

In any case, looking forward to the feedback and hopefully interesting discussions to follow. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom