Phoenix Point - Fig Campaign

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
OnlySP reports that Phoenix Point uses Fig to get crowdfunded:

XCOM Creator to Crowdfund Next Project, Phoenix Point

Julian Gollop, one of the creators of the original X-COM series, is taking to Fig to crowdfund his next strategy game, Phoenix Point.

At the moment, access to the Fig campaign is limited to those who have already supported a project on the platform, and Gollop is aiming to raise $500,000 to bring the project to life. Phoenix Point has already been in development for over a year, first being announced in March 2016, with the first media emerging in June last year.

The game will follow closely in the footsteps of X-COM, being described as featuring “turn-based tactics” and “world-based strategy.” Also as with X-COM, Phoenix Point will take place in a near-future version of Earth, though rather than an alien invasion, the enemies are the result of a mutagenic virus that emerged alongside the melting permafrost. While these beasts will control the sea, players will control the sky and the two sides will do battle for control of the land.

[...]
Thank you for the info, Farflame!

More information.

I'm trying and failing to figure out the elitism around a crowdsourcing platform that gates who is able to contribute, how much, and at what stage of the campaign. Do you want the money or not?

I don't get it: I backed Wasteland 3 at FIG and I can't see a Phoenix Point campaign. Or the Phoenix Point FIG campaign hasn't started yet ?

The project is there. I've already put down for a boxed copy but its in incognito mode at the moment. I only got the option to pledge early because I signed up for a 'backstage pass' from Fig but have been sworn to secrecy. The goal at the moment (because it could change) has been 11% funded already.

I'm trying and failing to figure out the elitism around a crowdsourcing platform that gates who is able to contribute, how much, and at what stage of the campaign. Do you want the money or not?

There's a group of people who are more willing to go in if they can see that the campaign's already doing well.

So by first opening it to a group of people who have already shown they're willing to put money into these kinds of campaigns, I imagine it's to help make the interest appear to be bigger to the regular unwashed public when they check out the thing on the 'first' day they're allowed in and see there's already a lot of other people putting money down.

There's a group of people who are more willing to go in if they can see that the campaign's already doing well.

So by first opening it to a group of people who have already shown they're willing to put money into these kinds of campaigns, I imagine it's to help make the interest appear to be bigger to the regular unwashed public when they check out the thing on the 'first' day they're allowed in and see there's already a lot of other people putting money down.

Its also helpful for finalizing pledge levels. Several new ones have been added due to feedback. Investors get an early look because I imagine that helps when putting down alot of money, to have time to jump through any hurdles.

INSTA-BUY! And if it doesn't turn out well, we will cry with Julian..

I managed to back Phoenix Point, after I emailed FIG.

Last edited:
Pledged. Strategic games with tactical tb combat and RPG mechanics is probably my favourite genre if I only get to choose one.

Last edited:

Its not elitism any more than open funding is communism. Its business marketing and not complicated.

Back
Top Bottom