RPGWatch - Legends of Eisenwald Interview

Thank you both for the interview. Looking forward to the game.

I tried the Discord Times demo a few years ago. I almost bought it, but was turned away by the bad translation. If that problem is solved in LoE, I don't see how I could not love it.

Yes, the original translation by Alawar was very bad. One of the examples: Ludwig the Fierce in a scenario The Other Side was called four different names: Ludwig the Terrible, Ludwig the Furious and one more which I forgot. The English translation was fixed though after the Kickstarter by our backers, now it looks much better.

Last edited:
Nice interview, thanks.
And I agree that LoE graphics is great. :)

Yes, the original translation by Alawar was very bad. One of the examples: Ludwig the Fierce in a scenario The Other Side was called four different names: Ludwig the Terrible, Ludwig the Furious and one more which I forgot.

Similar mistakes are in english Drakensang and other games. Russian games often had these problems. For example Pathologic - in western world it was almost famous for its bad english translation. :)

Aterdux said:
Another trend I see in the industry and which I don’t like at all is the tendency of over simplification, especially when it ends up to be simply one mechanic per game.

I noticed this in interview. Do you understand where this trend came from or why is it so popular in some (or most?) indie festivals? It seems that these ppl want indies to be recognisable as simple games for casual market. Like that indies shouldnt compete with publishers' games. It actually goes against the idea about independent development. What do you think about it?

I noticed this in interview. Do you understand where this trend came from or why is it so popular in some (or most?) indie festivals? It seems that these ppl want indies to be recognisable as simple games for casual market. Like that indies shouldnt compete with publishers' games. It actually goes against the idea about independent development. What do you think about it?

I don't know where this idea came from. I noticed it for the first time when I looked at some of these indie festivals a few years ago. Or even last year when we submitted the game for Indiecade - we were obviously not accepted but the judges comments were like: oh, why did they submit the game at all? What new does it bring to the game? The game has no even tutorial etc. Indiecade later apologized for that judge but still, that's their mood. So in this respect, it's not fun to be indy. On the other hands, there are a lot of great games (Expeditions: Conquistador, The Banner Saga, Lords of Xulima just to name a few) come from indie teams and maybe there should be a division: simple one click indie vs real indies :)

There is a lot that in mobile games and in a way it turned almost into lottery for smaller teams there - making a game and hoping you will win. It's hard for me to imagine to work on something like this.

In my opinion the label indie should in no way be indicative about the game's content. A game being an indie or not should only indicate its funding or publishing model.

Morrandir, I agree with you. However, there is a tendency to think indie is only artsy simple pixel stuff. I heard from quite a few people in the expos - oh, your game is not really indie :)

Yes, the original translation by Alawar was very bad. One of the examples: Ludwig the Fierce in a scenario The Other Side was called four different names: Ludwig the Terrible, Ludwig the Furious and one more which I forgot. The English translation was fixed though after the Kickstarter by our backers, now it looks much better.

Any chance that new version of Discord Times might be released on GOG ? :)

Discord Times in its current form it a bit too old, 4:3 screen resolution and doesn't work at all for Win8. We asked GOG in the past about it and they were not particularly excited. The best thing would be to change the game a bit, to modernize it and I hope we will be able to do it after Legends of Eisenwald release.

Once again Couch, nice job. Really interesting questions to ask.

And thank you Aterdux, for answering them so open and honestly. A real breath of fresh air.

As a gamer, it's nice to get a peek behind the curtain of game development, and the industry.

Good stuff.

Discord Times in its current form it a bit too old, 4:3 screen resolution and doesn't work at all for Win8. We asked GOG in the past about it and they were not particularly excited. The best thing would be to change the game a bit, to modernize it and I hope we will be able to do it after Legends of Eisenwald release.

Thanks for the answer.

I don't mind that it's old. I saw on your website that we can send money with Paypal to get a copy. Is that the old copy or the one with the enhanced translation fixed by your backers ?

Gilliat, the only version of Discord Times we have is the one with the translation fixed by our backers, we don't keep the old unfortunate version :) We also have a copy with the French translation I believe which was also done after the Kickstarter campaign.

Back
Top Bottom