Transistor - Free on Epic Game Store

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that Transistor is free on Epic Game Store.

The action-RPG lovechild from Supergiant games named Transistor is currently available on the Epic Store, and it will leave your cash completely unhindered. The game will be celebrating its fifth birthday this year, but rest assured that its visuals and amalgamation of real-time gameplay with turn-based encounters still provide for a rare treat.

[...]
More information.

Bah these free games are just a way to boost user numbers.

"Oh look we gained five million more users this month."

What they don't say is it's due to freebies.:)

They will have no ground to do it.
At same cut level, devs will prefer to go on Steam. Until that point, due to anti competition spirit by players, this platform will have to cover risks anytime a dev prefer the smaller cut.

There was a common joke a few years ago in investor circles:

A young hipster hypes his business genius to an old jewish investor.
- Hey, we have just opened our new café, and dude, we rock! We have 2 million customers already!
- Nice! And how's your profit?
- Erm… Gotta go!

The punchline is a bit elaborated, you must be aware of the startup biz world:
The hipster had 2 million customers because of the free latte. But if the merchandise is given out for free, where is the revenue?

I'm sure they'll gather hundreds of millions new users when they put Grimoire as a freebie… :)

But seriously:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/valve-revenue-share-epic-exclusives
Funny how Epic claimed last month they would stop buying exclusives in one year with only a possibly of doing a few high profile games after that. Bunch of liars they are.

They also promised not to poach games like they did with Metro:Exodus after taking pre-orders on Steam, and lol & behold broke that promise to with Anno 1800 this month.

Got it yesterday. Think it is a fine addition to my collection on Epic Game Store.

I hope this and other freebies (Twitch anyone?) lure a lot more people to the light side of the force, away from the clutches of STEAM.

Competition in market economy is good thing and should be supported. That said, I personally dislike this aggressive way of establishing the business Epic is showing us. I do not sympathize with investor/corporate-like way of building business through money from above, rather then through hard work from the ground. So Im voting with my wallet against this practice.

Back
Top Bottom