Your year in RPGs so far

I spent lots of time with Pathfinder and sunk almost 400 hours into it since release. Best party based cRPG I played in long, long, long time. If you like the genre and missed this one, make yourself a favor and go play it asap.

I put few hours into Final Fantasy 9 and 10, but put them on s-by. I also made another try to finish The Witcher 3, but its on s-by again.

I made first attempt on Bloodborne, which was quite good, but this gameplay built my apetite for real Dark Souls game, so I put it on s-by and started new gameplay of Dark Souls 3. I enjoyed it big time and finished it.

Now Im playing Fire Emblem Three Houses on Switch and its really great, can only recommend it. I think I will spend many hours with it. At least till Astral Chain is released by end of this month, really looking forward to that one.

Fallout 4, Witcher 3 with all dlcs, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and a little ME3.

Every top down I’ve played or tried to play I haven’t lasted more than 5-6 hours, including POE, Wasteland x, Divinity Original Sin x, etc, etc. seems like my affinity for peering at little dots on screen is fading.

I put few hours into Final Fantasy 9 and 10, but put them on s-by. I also made another try to finish The Witcher 3, but its on s-by again.
What... Witcher 3... you... Fantasy 10... I.... <pant>… <pant>… paper bag! Need... paper bag!! NO! NOT PLAS.... PLASTIC!!!
;)

What… Witcher 3… you… Fantasy 10… I…. <pant>… <pant>… paper bag! Need… paper bag!! NO! NOT PLAS…. PLASTIC!!!
;)

:lol:

On my defense, FF9 and X I actually liked, but there is so many new games recently and Im easily distracted these days. They both deserve some time investment to be really enjoyed so I saved them for future.

The Witcher 3 ... I can say now I really tried hard. Several gameplay attempts, many hours sunk into it. There are parts of this game which I find really stellar. Story is great and story-telling is also superb. Its just not very good RPG in my eyes. And for adventure game its too long and it has many unnecessary and distracting RPG mechanics :roll:

Earlier this year was playing Deus Ex Human Revolution, very fun game. I think I got a little bored after around 36 hours or so, and maybe got stuck at one part but am planning on returning to it and completing it.

Human Revolution I really liked. It wasnt stellar, but it kept my attention till I finished it.
It definitely had many flaws, but as a whole it worked for me. Because of that I was kinda hyped for Mankind Divided, which brought me disappointment. Didnt like that one and I never finished it. The first large part in Prague bored me to death and I got easily distracted by some other game every time I made attempt to finish it.

I don't remember most of it. I barely remember what I did last week. I'll make an attempt at remembering though, so let's see:

Me and a friend have been playing through BG1 and 2 via the multiplayer feature of the EE edition. Sadly, the multiplayer feature is rubbish, with lots of bugs and lag, but the games themselves are still excellent.

Also, I know I played Spellforce 3 and its new expansion, Soul Harvest. Good fun.

Beyond that, I've played WoW and I did a replay of Dragon Age 1-3. Oh, and I recently started a run of Mass Effect, but that looks to be cut short due to Greedfall.

I'm pretty sure there's more, but I genuinely can't recall it..

Anyone play a great RPG released this year? Maybe all the highlights will come in autumn and winter. Last year there were a number of anticipated rpgs released at this point. Deadfire, Kingdom Come: Deliverence and Vampyr come to mind. This year nothing really come to mind.

I haven't played any released this year, but from reading the Boards here I've seen some credible enthusiasm for Outward, Tower of Time and AC: Odyssey DLC, the first two released this year and the latter's DLC was mostly this year.

There's quite a lot coming out in the last third of the year by the looks of things all of which fit the anticipated category.

So how's you're year been so far? What indy goodness have you managed to indulge yourself in? I was quite looking forward to researching your selection.

Tower of Time actually came out in April 2018. Oh! And they've announced their next game, Dark Envoy, should be showing up in 2020.

Wow, you're right, totally my bad. I guess that's been one of the games that people have used this dry spell to catch up on, the thread for that here really got moving this year.

Lets see what I remember for this year.

Streets of Rogue: Definitely my indie of the year. Lots of replay value. Addictive. Choosing a different class completely changes the whole thing to a different game.

Outward: Certainly a unique experience.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: Not the most stellar game ever, but Neocore still published a very solid ARPG here, again. I like the W40k setting, and not every game in this setting was as much of a good experience. (By the way, did anyone try Deathwing? Is it any good?)

Risen 1-3: Replay. Good, but consistently unbalanced.

Vaporum: One of the the better recent dungeon crawlers. Great atmosphere.

Dungeon of Dragon Knight: Eh. Another crawler. OK-ish.

Immortal Redneck: Fun rogue-like shooter.

Risk of Rain 2: Another fun rogue-like shooter. :)

Been on a bit of an RPG break.

I did try out Elex, which was laughably terrible and thankfully cheap. Currently playing AC: Odyssey which is growing on me more and more. I'm only level 13, and I'm finally getting the hang of melee combat. I took long breaks when playing the beginning so the controls didn't click for me at first. Enjoying AC. It's a beautiful game similar to Witcher 3.

Went through the Banner Saga trilogy early this year. It's not as good as I would have hoped, but it's a solid game and worth a go.

What's frightening is that if I had to pick the most enjoyable…."RPG" (ye gads, I can't believe I even called it that) of the year, it'd be……Assasin's Creed: Origins. It's never been an RPG, never in a million years, but so many "RPG's" now are so bad themselves, and so dumbed down, that the next best thing is a good action game masquerading as one. And that's what AC:O is, a popamole action game but one done well.

It was essentially The Witcher 3, but done right. Combat which involved the player more, quests which did too, and a world which had way more character than Velen's barren & boring boggyness.

I am halfway through Tales of Berseria. That's pretty cool. Not stunning, but a very nice chilled-out play.

I also gave DRagon Age:Inquisition another chance, and by God that has to be one of the worst creations ever made.

I also booted up DA:I again this year, just to check it out again. It already feels like an old, old game. Some really cringe stuff in it, too. No wonder I never finished it.

What was so terrible about DA:I and Elex? I haven't played Elex yet, but enjoy PB games in general, and DA:I was one of the best games of the past 10 years, imho.

I wouldn't know a thing about DA: I, as for me there's only one Dragon Age game. Elex, however, was a complete joy to play, and I don't even really care that much for action-y type games these days. I haven't replayed it as of yet, but I know it will happen at some point!!

Let's see…

Pathfinder Kingmaker kept me occupied all through spring. The best RTWP experience since BG2. That last chapter however. Ugh. Ruined the experience a bit. Could never bring myself to finish it.
Tried Underworld Ascendant after all the updates. It's still not a good game. Can't bring myself to play it for more than 10 minutes. Just feels… wrong.
Dark Souls 2: Never played this eventhough I've sunk hundreds of hours into DS1 and 3. Not enjpying some of the mechanics like hp loss on death but I'm learning to live with it. Ongoing.
Sekrio: Beautiful and engaging game that's not much of an RPG. In the end the combat was too fast for me so I quit about halfway through. Too much of a grind.
Druidstone: A indie surprise that was a great deal of fun. No C&C makes it feel very railroaded but I still enjoyed it al ot.
Currently playing Noita which is a roguelike. Having great fun with it. See my post in currently playing thread.

Last edited:
What was so terrible about DA:I and Elex? I haven't played Elex yet, but enjoy PB games in general, and DA:I was one of the best games of the past 10 years, imho.

The endlessly respawning trash mobs i.e. if you pan the camera from front to back more mobs will spawn.

The large but empty zones with the same three or 4 quests in every zone i.e. close the gates (how the hell did they not learn from Oblivions mistake), find the observatory thingies etc. They are purely time sink filler material. As someone who likes to complete all the quests in a game I found it boring as hell.

If they had of fixed those two issues I probably would have given it a 6 or 7 out of 10. It should of been half the length that it was. Half good content, half filler crap.

The large but empty zones with the same three or 4 quests in every zone i.e. close the gates (how the hell did they not learn from Oblivions mistake), find the observatory thingies etc. They are purely time sink filler material. As someone who likes to complete all the quests in a game I found it boring as hell.
I acknowledge the trashmobs, although they didn't bother me that much (except BEARS). As for the other - nobody forced you to do those extra tasks. They are just extra stuff to do if you want (with a nice reward if you do!) How is that a negative?
It seems you are blaming the game for your own inability to ignore quests.

I'm a lazy and slow player, moreover I hate rush anything when I play. So as all years not many games played, and even less RPG because I was more in tactical games plus a few fps.

RPG with at least a full play:
1. Queen's Wish (it's been a long time since I hadn't enjoyed a lot and along a full play a Spiderweb game).
2. Atom RPG (this year it's the game I played the most, still prefer Queen's Wish and Dusk, but it broke my record of number of chained plays)
3. Planet Stronghold (lite RPG but surprisingly good fun in combats, two plays)
4. Cursed Lands (another lite one, had good fun, two plays)

RPG not finished a full play/replay:
1. Avernum second remake, my current play, it seems it will be the right play attempt after 2 or 3 fails despite I enjoyed a lot Avernum first remake played a decade ago or more.
2. Divinity Original Sin 2, finally released on Mac. Few hours before stop play (overwhelming?), second attempt, but will come back to it when in a more adapted mood.
3. Cosmic Star Heroine, finally released on Mac. I only tried it quickly to see if it was working well. I plan play it when play a JRPG will match my mood, it seems quite good for its genre.
4. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, failed attempt to replay with turn based mode that was still quoted beta. But I intend replay it with all DLC and if possible with TB mode, or if not working for me will try replay with the RTwP. It's not that RTwP can match TB, it's more that I have doubts combats can adapt well to those two modes.
5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, one more failed attempt to play it (it's been released very late on Mac). I will play it, a day.
6. Planet Stronghold: Colonial Defense, gave up roughly at 1/3, fair good fun anyway.
8. Tales of Aravorn: Seasons Of The Wolf. I'll try play it again in future.
7. Deep Sky Derelicts, gave up roughly at 1/3, not bad but not good either, won't go back to it.
8. Quest hunter, light, eventually too light, eventually will try again/more as a light time killer, not sure.
9. Lovecraft's Untold Stories, felt from my hands, quite good mood but absurd no save system and tedious combats.
10. Underworld Ascendant, still not really working on Mac no matter the setup. Not looking fun anyway so won't bother try in windows, the only failed pledge I ever did.

Tactical games:
1. Pathway
2. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
3. Battle Brothers, gave up a first campaign, would have tried more if released on Mac. Will try again another time.
4. Vigilantes, not finished the campaign but wasn't far to last parts. In matter of party/base building I had already reach high levels and some max. Not sure if I'll come back to it, what's sure is I'll try next game of dev.
5. Halfway, it was like a third attempt to play, but it worked this time even if I gave up at 2/3 where it started be repetitive. It led me anyway to Pathway and that's cool because I enjoyed a lot Pathway.
6. Dark Quest 2, should have finish it, but for some reason stopped play and it's hard come back.
7. Into the Breach (felt from my hands, won't go back to it)
8. Depth of Extinction (felt from my hands, won't go back to it)
9. Fate Hunters, only a first contact and quick try, but will play it.

Other games:
1. Dusk, enjoy a lot, but I have trouble come back to it and play long sessions, for some reason hard to explain, it is stressing me too much. It's still the best shooting gameplay from ages and for me.
2. Of Gods and Men: The Daybreak, a light 4X, more focus on tactical combats. Fairly good but at some point I gave up and it's hard decide come back to it.
3. Void Bastards, finished a campaign, started a new before decide it was too much pixel aiming for me. Still despite a campaign design not that good, I found interesting how it can be a strategy shooter during some ships explorations.
4. Book of Demons, not bad, original gameplay that seems coherent in its gameplay design, but when difficulty started rise more, it failed appeal me enough to worth the learning and worse the training efforts, in my opinion my fault more than the fault of the game.
5. Borderlands 2, after to have argue along years that it was a good shooter only with some aspect tedious as items respawn mechanism, I finally decided it wasn't a game for me, once more as BL1, pushing too much to boredom grinding, but why expect something else from a multiplayer game, sigh. I think that now multiplayer tag is banned forever from my buy lists.
6. Darkwood, not for me, perhaps I'll try again a day.

Plus a few quick play or replay attempts that I forget or I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom