Shogun no Kamigami - Feudal Japan RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
On Square Enix Collective there is an action rpg called Shogun no Kamigami which is set during feudal Japan.

Gameplay

Imagine if Monster Hunter meets Princess Mononoke?

The game starts in your village. This is your safe place where you can access to all the main possibilities such as the forge, the spell instructor or simply choose your mission, where the battle begins. This is a customizable place where you can also invite your friends.

Fighting Kami is the main goal of this game. There is plenty of them, huge bosses who need a good preparation before the confrontation. Learn their pattern, learn their weakness. Use all your equipment, your tools, your spells at your advantage. Sometimes, you’ll also have to use the environment as a weapon: find the best spot to fight them, lure them where the situation is optimal.

The only way to be stronger is to have a better equipment, that you need to forge with resources gathered in the wild and on a Kami. You can craft small items like grenades and traps to help you in the fight, but the real progress is through your weapons and armors. To access to better equipment, you’ll also have to upgrade your village.

Story

Shogun no Kamigami is based on a historical period of Japan : the Sengoku Jidai. This times were complex and a lot of Clans fought to unify the country under their banner. Our story revolves around Oda Nobunaga, who aims to become the Shogun, the unifier of Japan. You’re going to meet his path several times in your adventures, considering him as an enemy or an ally is up to you.
But he’s not the only historical figure you’re going to encounter : Hirate Masahide, Hattori Hanzo, Muramasa, Ikoma Kitsuno and most of the other characters are based on real stakeholders of History.

Mixed to the historical facts, the story also include folklore and fantasy. Kitsune, Tengu or Yokai are real in this universe and play their role in the common life. But the most important creatures that you will encounter are of course the Kami, these powerful deities, masters of the elements.

Along your journey to protect your village from Kami and War, you’ll find various cutscenes and other elements that will help you take a side and discover the true nature of Oda Nobunaga’s plans. But who’s that strange white shape in the shadows ?

[...]
More information.

Bah, some crappy ARPG. My kingdom for a real RPG set in feudal Japan…and, no, Jade Empire doesn't count. :p

Anyone remember this one? I found his Twitter feed, and the guy posted a mere 20 hours ago, so maybe he's still actually making it…and maybe it'll be an actual RPG someday. :p

EDIT: Which reminds me, I suppose I should take a real look at Kenshi one of these days. It was years ago I first bought it and had a peek. Pretty rough then. Guess it's still in Early Access.

Sad. If I see one more ARPG especially from Square I'll hurt myself.
Why do not you simply make a true sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions not Advance or A2

Looks iffy.

Sad. If I see one more ARPG especially from Square I'll hurt myself.
Why do not you simply make a true sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions not Advance or A2

Square isn't developing it. It's part of their collective, which means, they may act as a kind of publisher / promoter in exchange for a cut of their crowdfunding revenue.

Back
Top Bottom