Inferno - Beyond The 7th Circle might release in 2020

Kordanor

Wastelander
You remember that cool looking Dungeon Crawler that failed horribly on indiegogo?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/inferno-a-dungeon-crawler-rpg#/

Well...probably not. I got it on my "list" though for games to look forward to. As I am currently Updating this list and look for any news on release dates, I found a youtube comment under their trailer video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hho16X7sEvQ

Question: Loved the first one. When is this one releasing?
Answer: This year. More info soon ;)

Doesn't seem to interest a lot of people, therefore not sent in another news to mods for this vague news yet. But I found it good to know that the game is still in the works and might even release this year.

I'm glad to see that it's coming to fruition. I do recall the announcement when the project launched on indiegogo, but didn't contribute because I don't use that platform.

I just fired up the 7th circle, and after playing 3 hours, think its a decent, but not great dungeon crawler. You have 1 character, and skills work like in Daggerfall or The Quest. You initially choose a few skills to be good at. Skills you use improve. At level up you can put points into your attributes. The game has permadeth, but as you go through the dungeon you gain cards and blood, which can be used to buy starting bonuses for your next character and improve their level ups. Also it has a nice crafting and alchemy system. The dungeon itself reminds me more of the first Grimrock, but with less puzzles. Still there are traps and secret areas, and all the equipment you get and spells you learn have to be found in the dungeon, or crafted from things you find.

Aye, never played the first game, but having permadeath there is also not quite what I'd be looking for, unless its a "light" version like in Conglomerate, Darkest Dungeon and so on. The new game will not have it and hopefully have a more fledged out campaign instead.

My first character last 30 minutes, because I was completely unprepared for the first trap I ran into. My current characters has lasted another 2 1/2 hours so far, and I haven't been in too much danger since then. I didn't realize the game had permadeth or no manual saves when I got it or I probably wouldn't have bought it either, but I figure since I started it, I'll play through it while it holds my interest. I am currently playing 6 games parallel, rotating each day. So I can report back in a few weeks and give a more final verdict, if you are still curious.

@Kordanor;

I have now played over 8 hours and have had no further character deaths and am mostly through dungeon level 3, but am not sure how long I will continue to play.
The good thing about the game is that all of its core systems work well. I like the character building system. I like combat. There is a kind of puzzle called a black hole, which has a well built board game like mini game. The crafting system works well. There are multiple secrets including secret switches, teleporters, illusionary walls, and spirits which appear at certain places at certain times of days. Also the monsters are fairly distinct from one another.
The bad is not much is introduced gameplay wise after level 1. There are no new puzzles. There is only one kind of trap which summons 3 monsters (normally you fight one at a time, or rarely 2)(so its more combat and not so much a trap) and a challenge, with is (yet another) optional combat which increases rare looth chance.
And that is the problem. Though I'm not a fan of its combat system, Legend of Grimrock constantly throws you in new situations. New traps, New puzzles. Also the items were hand planted, so each time you ran into an item it was useful if you had the right build. The same goes with Vaporum, which is closer to the 7th Circle, because you are controlling only one character. So I'll give the 7th circle another play session to convince me to keep playing, but if its simply a lot more of the same, it will probably be my last session.

Hrm, I disagree regarding Grimrock as for me it played the same from start to finish, maybe I just went for the optimal route, meaning dancing around the enemy, where it really doesnt matter what your characters carry (except of one).

But yeah...if nothing new is coming after level one, that sounds boring, and this is also what bored me in Grimrock actually. Grimrock hat very good puzzles though.

Hrm, I disagree regarding Grimrock as for me it played the same from start to finish, maybe I just went for the optimal route, meaning dancing around the enemy, where it really doesnt matter what your characters carry (except of one).

But yeah…if nothing new is coming after level one, that sounds boring, and this is also what bored me in Grimrock actually. Grimrock hat very good puzzles though.

Grimrock introduced new traps or puzzles on most levels. Also while combat was same-ish, creatures came at you from different places in different rooms. Those things are lacking in the 7th Circle.

So 7th Circle is essentially a rogue-like, while Beyond is not?

I would say 7th circle is more rogue-lite. Other than the save system and permadeth and random loot, the game doesn't have many rogue like features. The dungeon levels are not randomly generated, for example. Spells, encounters, traps et. seem to be hand placed. Also if you are careful and playing on normal difficulty its pretty difficult to die (so far that seems to be the case)

Back
Top Bottom