Do you use Patreon (2020 edition)

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
We had a similar thread a few years back, but it's worth a fresh one I think.

I have three currently:

Call of Saregnar: an RPG inspired by Betrayal at Krondor and Realms of Atlantis (Star Trail). It's been in development for a while, and has a long way to go, but a demo came out last week that was fun. I enjoy reading the project updates from the dev, who posts here occasionally as well. I put in $3 a month.

Fusion Magazine: a retro mag that covers movies, computer games, and other types of games from yesteryear. Its well researched and interesting - the latest edition had a fun article on the 1979 Disney movie the Black Hole (which I mainly remember for its weirdly disturbing ending), including the action figures etc. There's also a piece on Baldurs Gate II and a range of older games. I put in £1.50 a month for the PDF, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the printed edition.

Oleg Dolya: a guy that designs procedurally generated tools, like a city builder and a dungeon creator. I backed it when I was thinking of building some mods and thought I might use the dungeon generator for some random floorplans, but this never happened really. The products are great, but I might pull this one given I'm not currently using it. I'm currently chipping in $5 a month.

Is anyone else backing anything? Any interesting hidden gems? Or do you avoid it like the plague? :)

I use it to support a few games. Though they are not kid friendly.:blush:

I used to. No longer. I stopped when they decided to start acting like a filter instead of a facilitator.

I used to. No longer. I stopped when they decided to start acting like a filter instead of a facilitator.
I recently remember reading they lost a court case over filtering and frezzing accounts over content. That caused them to add a clause in there ELA saying you cant sue.

This has passed me by a bit. What are they filtering - adult content? I thought that was allowed?

This has passed me by a bit. What are they filtering - adult content? I thought that was allowed?
They have a list of fetishes that are not allowed even with adult games. They also can freeze or delete your account over political speech, or someone who holds wrong views.

Not using Patreon, but I certainly have my eyes on Call of Sarevok.

:>

Not using Patreon, but I certainly have my eyes on Call of Sarevok.

:>

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the full game. The demo has lots of promise.

I am now a supporter of Call of Saregnar (https://www.patreon.com/rhuantavan) too. Seems logical, because normally i would support the game on kickstarter, but as he wont do one, i will support on patreon.

This Oleg Dolya guy also seems to do very interesting stuff, thanks for the hint.

filtering and frezzing accounts

They also can freeze or delete your account

OK - makes sense now ... was afraid to do a search on ‘frezzing’ as I was afraid it might be something I couldn’t un-see! :D

I back a few YouTubers - musicians who do music theory / analysis and use actual music examples and therefore basically all of their stuff is significantly de-monetized.

No.

I am one of those crazy, weird people that only pay for full, finalished products.

Bear in mind that Patreon isn't just about crowdfunding unfinished products, like KS. A lot of it is to support the ongoing production of things from open-source software, to people that provide online video tutorials, and so on.

Bear in mind that Patreon isn't just about crowdfunding unfinished products, like KS. A lot of it is to support the ongoing production of things from open-source software, to people that provide online video tutorials, and so on.

I know. I considered supporting StarTalkat some point, because I love the content they produce and the job they do at educating people, but then, I felt it would be wrong. Something about giving money to people to do what they are already doing and getting paid for anyway feels wrong.

Anyway, I don't want to make a debate out of it, I am fine with those who support to support "content creators" in Patreon, it's just something that I don't do, for now at least.

No.

I am one of those crazy, weird people that only pay for full, finalished products.

Anyway, I don't want to make a debate out of it, I am fine with those who support to support "content creators" in Patreon, it's just something that I don't do, for now at least.

Yeah, your own words in your first shitty take say otherwise.

I back a few YouTubers - musicians who do music theory / analysis and use actual music examples and therefore basically all of their stuff is significantly de-monetized.

Sounds interesting! I hadn't thought to look for music theory / analysis stuff, but I can see the value in that. I do a bit of playing / writing on an amateur basis - I was in a ten piece function band until last year :) - but my theory is pretty poor, especially in composition.

Nope. Too cheap.

Something about giving money to people to do what they are already doing and getting paid for anyway feels wrong.

Odd take. So if you consume and enjoy the content, it feels "wrong" to pay for it provided someone else is already doing so?

I'll try applying that to other things in my life. "Sorry, Mr. ticket taker, those other people already paid and the movie was already made, so I would feel wrong to pay for it."

Back
Top Bottom