Top 10 CRPGs of all time

Nice list Couch. If I excluded older games then my list would be almost exactly the same except for the ordering.
I would have added the classics like Baldur's Gate 1&2 but thought heck no it was time for something different. As those games make it on every top 10 RPG list.

Now if we did a top 50 list I already know every RPG on my list.:biggrin:

My Top 50 list for anyone curious.:)

1. Witcher III
  2. PathFinder: Kingmaker
  3. Neverwinter Nights
  4. Neverwinter Nights 2
  5. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  6. Pillar's of Eternity
  7. Pillar's of Eternity 2
  8. Tyranny
  9. Dragon Age:Origin
  10. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  11. Wasteland 2
  12. Divinity Original Sin 2
  13. Divinity Original Sin
  14. Mass Effect 2
  15. Mass Effect 3
  16. Mass Efeect Andromeda
  17. Mass Effect 1
  18. Alpha Prtocol
  19. Vampyr
  20. Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
  21. Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption
  22. Fallout NV
  23. Fallout 3
  24. Fallout 4
  25. Anachronox
  26. Jade Empire
  27. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  28. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
  29. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  30. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  31. Baldur's Gate
  32. Baldur's Gate 2
  33. Planescape: Torment
  34. Torment: Tides of Numenera
  35. Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen
  36. Diablo
  37. Diablo II
  38. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut
  39. Valkyria Chronicles
  40. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  41. Dead State
  42. Grim Dawn
  43. Elex
  44. Risen
  45. Risen 2
  46. Risen 3
  47. Gothic 2
  48. Gothic 3
  49. The Age of Decadence
  50. Two Worlds II
No particular order really just my top 50 RPGs to play.

Edit: Can't use spoiler tags to shorten post as it removes the numbers.:(

That's a nice list Couch, I actually agree on many more than I don't. Wouldn't actually have guessed we would have so many in common since you praise several games I don't like, but I'm pretty sure it boils down to you having wider taste than I. Which is probably a good thing for you and my loss. ;)

If I remove The Witcher, Dragon Age and Mass Effect from your list, and add MM's and Wizardry. And replace Fallout 3&4 with 1&2. And TES5 with TES3...done. Some on your list I haven't played but I'll just leave them in and assume they're worth being there.

I've played a number of RPGs since I originally did this list. Here is my current top 16… for today.

1) Gothic 2
It's got the gameplay, the music, the story… still good. The background music for the city of Khorinis, is unmatched in gamedom and filmdom. If I ever learn how to play the guitar, I will eventually get to mastering that riff.

2) Fallout 4
in addition to the sim city level within the game, once you get your jet pack working properly, its a different game

3)Might and Magic 6
the best of the lot imo. I wish this was the template for all freeware. What year did this come out?

4)Enderal
I love me some skyrim but this is so much better and way darker

5)Risen 3
In addition to the typical PB game play you get flying

6)Gothic 3
It took years to get this right (See Vampire M) but once you play the bug free game you got the same things you had in Gothic 2, but bigger and actually better music

7)Fall Out New Vegas
I hate desert games. I live in the desert. Give me snow or give me Fall out New Vegas

8)Deus Ex
First game I ever played where you could actually get to the goal in various ways. The subsequent games were good but just didn't have the originals vibe,

9) Morrowwind
Most imaginative world and best atmosphere of all RPGs. The somber but somewhat soaring musical score added more depth to the game world. OTOH, the stingy economics in the game world was a total downer. Probably the first game where I loved playing in the game world

10)Witcher 1 (ONE)
Hated two and three was great. But not as good as one… to me

11) Skyrim
Not conventional wisdom but its the open world type of sand box I like to play in. And the music..OMG

12) Elex
The only fault in the game was I just didn't like any of the factions and would have loved if they made the neutral factions a major player of the game. Looking forward to 2

13)Lords of Xulima
saw this on Kickstarter. I was not impressed. Great word of mouth made me pay attention. Played the game and now I know karma is gonna get me back for kinda dissing this great, great game.

14) Divine Divinity
the game play was very good, the story was good, the musical score may be unmatched in gamedom.

15) Divine Divinity Original Sin
Of all the sequels (the dragon one was good), this was the best. Crafting, story, tactical battles and decent music

16) Two Worlds
Probably one of the easiest end game monsters in game dom. I absolutely loved it. While they embraced the open world concept, they forgot to add the little exploratory prizes we adventures feel entitled to

Last edited:
Here's my list as of this moment, using the format of the RPGCodex poll.

~~The Top Ten~~

Orihalchum Medal (3 points):
- Fallout: New Vegas

Adamantium Medal (2.5 points):
- Pillars of Eternity
- Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire

Mithril Medal (2 points):
- Divinity: Original Sin
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Cold Iron Medal (1.5 points)
- Baldur's Gate 2
- Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
- Neverwinter Nights 2
- Wizardry 8

~~Honorable Mentions~~

Gold Medal (1 point):
- Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
- Banner Saga
- Mass Effect
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall
- Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (my first RPG!)

Disclaimer: Haven't played enough of the Witcher series, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Age of Decadence or D:OS2 to make a judgement.

My Top 50 list for anyone curious.:)

[1]Witcher III
[50] Two Worlds II

No particular order really just my top 50 RPGs to play.

Edit: Can't use spoiler tags to shorten post as it removes the numbers.:(

Wow, even the few games in your list I didn't play, I know. I am totally an RPGer type guy gamer player.

Wow, even the few games in your list I didn't play, I know. I am totally an RPGer type guy gamer player.
Seems I don't play many older RPGs anymore, and most indie games don't interest me that much. So most of what I posted is newer games from the last ten years.:(

Last edited:
I'm surprised Neverwinter Nights is so highly regarded by you. I liked it at the time. The flexibility of user made modules is amazing. But the end execution of the game is really lacking IMO.

Someone needs to make a game with a similar goal. I want to be able to play simple adventure modules. I'm tired of vast armies and saving the world, etc.

I'm surprised Neverwinter Nights is so highly regarded by you. I liked it at the time. The flexibility of user made modules is amazing. But the end execution of the game is really lacking IMO.

Someone needs to make a game with a similar goal. I want to be able to play simple adventure modules. I'm tired of vast armies and saving the world, etc.
Mods keep me playing both NWN games. :)

Without them I would have quit years ago. I talked about this in another thread how both are the most faithful D&D adaptions ever made. Thanks to the mod tools.

Anyway Sword Coast Legends was the only game to even try. It was a huge failure though. There was a few games that showed promise but they failed to get funded.

There is Varnhold's Lot DLC for Pathfinder.
It's NWN no return anywhere acompanied by boredom again - in case you want more NWN.
Me? I don't want to see anything NWN ever again and I wish I was warned about DLC so I'd skippit.

A game where the main game doesn't suck like NWN but expanding it is the goal - is Sims 4. There are numerous gameplay mod(ule)s, official with an abnormally high price or freebie mods by the community.
The reason why it's not as attractive? It ain't no RPG and it's EA's IP.

What I find is too many great games over the history of time (as short as it might be) to pick just 10 but virtually no great game the last year or so.

What I find is too many great games over the history of time (as short as it might be) to pick just 10 but virtually no great game the last year or so.

My list is basically the RPGs that have stood the test of time . . . for me. In effect, I can still play them. Some of my fav games on prior top 10 lists that will not see the list now are. Wizardry, Might and Magic 2, Bards Tale 1, Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima 4. I simply can't play these games today... too tedious.

Wiz 8 isn't so bad even today if you can deal with the combat. Be sure to apply the 'speed up' patch (it speeds up animation not the actual mechanics).

My list is basically the RPGs that have stood the test of time . . . for me. In effect, I can still play them. Some of my fav games on prior top 10 lists that will not see the list now are. Wizardry, Might and Magic 2, Bards Tale 1, Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima 4. I simply can't play these games today… too tedious.

My entry to this thread was almost exactly two years ago and at a time just before I upgraded my system. Since then I've been able to play quite a few of the new batch of post-2013 releases while also playing a few more older titles, so my list has changed as well. Not greatly, just in little places such as Blackguards replacing Drakensang: The River of Time as my new favourite Dark Eye cRPG. However, I wont post my updated list yet as I'm still trying my first jRPG & so I will probably be able to create a whole new category if I just hang back for a bit. If the thread dies away for a while again in the meantime I'll just wait until the next relevant bump.

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer and NWN:Hordes of the Underdark are two of the best PC d&d games I've played. They don't quite make my top 10 probably due to the wonky NWN1/2 camera and control scheme but the story and everything else about them is top notch. They are definitely must plays for any true crpg fan.

As I get older the list changes a little:
1. Modded Skyrim
2. Might and Magic VII
3. Might and Magic VIII
4. Modded Fallout 3
5. Modded Fallout 4
6. Two Worlds II

All the rest fall in a big group of other games I play a bunch:
The rest of the Might and Magics
the rest of TES
the action rpg genre (TQ, PoE, Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, etc)
Survival game with RPG elements (7 Days to Die, The Long Dark, The Forest, etc.)

I vastly prefer 1st person and single character. Might and Magic plays like this due to how fast the turn-based combat plays out. Assassin's Creed may pop in here soon.
I also like Risen 3 and Gothic 3 pretty well.

No modded Outward on the list? O_O
I'm surprised and disappointed. :p

Back
Top Bottom