Watch Dogs Legion looks pretty damn interesting - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Watch Dogs Legion looks pretty damn interesting

Default Watch Dogs Legion looks pretty damn interesting

July 26th, 2019, 02:09
Instead of building up a character (or 4), you gain power by gathering more and more people. I presume they would have higher and higher skills but it could be that getting a large variety of people lets you tackle larger varieties of problems. Either way, it sounds like a new and interesting way to "level up."
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

July 26th, 2019, 08:31
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Instead of building up a character (or 4), you gain power by gathering more and more people. I presume they would have higher and higher skills but it could be that getting a large variety of people lets you tackle larger varieties of problems. Either way, it sounds like a new and interesting way to "level up."
I'd say it's reasonably novel - but not appealing to me.

I'm big into identifying with my characters - and I find that hard enough when the protagonist is pre-defined.

Switching them around and having them be almost random is a big turn-off - at least on paper.

I'll check it out regardless, though.

I'm too big a fan of sci-fi and open world stuff to completely ignore a big new title

TmpDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

July 26th, 2019, 10:39
It's not novel. MGS5 has the same thing, you can recruit anyone you see except bosses. Although you can play through missions as any of recruits and shuffle them to your heart's desires, you'll use MC at least for the first passthrough through missions.
Yes I do remember you played MGS5 for 10 minutes then uninstalled because you thought the game is like it's first mission, slow crawl through a nuthouse.

There is a point in MGS5 where you lose a shitton of recruits (TBH not really, depending on your choices you'll lose a few irrelevant ones or a bunch of awsomes). Seems that WD3 doesn't have any mandatory culling mission.

Another difference is that WD3 has voiceover on every recruit unlike MGS5 and if I'm right, Hideo Kojima or any developer "celebrity" won't appear as one of recruits in WD3 while in MGS5 they do appear.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)

July 26th, 2019, 11:19
I said reasonably novel because it's not a common approach

Recruiting people and playing them is hardly a new concept. I seem to remember doing that in hundreds of games, including X-Com and JA2 - that rank among my favorites.

But those games are team oriented - and then I focus on the party as one cohesive unit that I'm building.

In a game where I'm one character at a time - I tend to hate not being in control of development and such.

But we'll see how it turns out. It's not a deal breaker, necessarily.

TmpDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

August 20th, 2019, 03:32
S'more details
loading…

You can level your people up! See, it's an RPG!! <grinning, ducking, running>
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Watch Dogs Legion looks pretty damn interesting