Quantcast
What games are you playing now? - Page 513 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

March 6th, 2018, 03:29
Been playing Starpoint Gemini Warlords quite a bit and it has been pretty fun.

If you've played Starpoint Gemini 2 then it isn't so hard to explain it. They took SG2 and wrapped a lightweight, 4X'ish strategy game around the whole thing in exchange for some story.

If you haven't played SG2 then, well, I guess I'll start with the strategy layer. The overall map is 2D and pretty good sized with all of space divided into multiple regions. Capture the control point in a region and you own that region. Within the region there could be gas clouds, asteroids, and junk fields that can be mined for gas, minerals, and metals respectively if you build the appropriate mining stations there. Most regions start out hidden and need to be explored which you can do by finding relay stations and either linking to them (if they are friendly) or hacking them and fighting off the guards (if they are not).

In your home zone you'll have an HQ. As you build this up (using those metals, minerals, and gasses), you can use your HQ to build more ships, enable trading, and manage civilian fleets. The civilians can be used to explore various temporary opportunities to mine gasses, collect minerals, salvage metals, and do trading.

The game itself is 3D but the volume in the Z direction is a lot smaller than the X or Y so it's a bit like playing in a huge TV box. You fly your own ship and can tell any ships you build at your HQ to follow you around. (I've currently got quite a swarm following me around space!) You don't get a whole lot of control over them that I've seen yet so don't go in expecting a Homeworld 4X game but they seem to do a pretty good job of blasting enemies on their own. You can divide them into multiple fleets and send them different places but I'm just now starting to have a need for that.

When you're flying around in battle you have full 3D control. Turrets on your ship will fire at your target only if they are in arc, though those arcs are fairly simple (forward, back, left, right). Your shields are also divided by direction so you may find yourself with your front shield blasted, limiting how you attack.

It isn't all battle, though. You can trade simply by loading your ship up with cargo in one place then selling it in another. Or you can do randomly generated missions for cash. You can even collect gas and minerals yourself - though that doesn't seem to be worth the time spent so it's more of a relaxing pastime than a real strategy as near as I can tell.

There's also a story there. Not as big of a story (as near as I can tell) as SG2 but it's still there to tie things together. It gives you interesting things to do and battles to take part in so it's a nice diversion.

There's also some RPG-like skills to acquire and build up as you gain levels. You've even got some companions (the titular "warlords") that help out.

I'm only about 25 hours in but I'm enjoying myself. The game doesn't seem to have tons of depth in any particular area but it's got plenty of bredth to make up for it. It also makes for a nice secondary game to play as a change of pace.

Oh, and I'm also playing Prey - but y'awl know about that game already.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

March 6th, 2018, 04:52
Originally Posted by you View Post
I'm also (re) playing D:OS 2; I've did the blackpitt his morning and it was hugely changed from my first play through (the fight with jonathan was really easy; but the one inside was still hard as hell; was gonna give it up on it but got it on my 6th or 7th try - level 13). When i did the jonathan fight the first time it seems the oil/fire spawns were infinite but this time it was very limited and they also fixed teh graphics (the slow down was huge when everything caught fire but this time i did not notice any slow down).
My experience was similar. The final battle was my first use of thunderstorm after wiping on my first try. A little pre-wetting with rain works wonders. It’s been my go to tactic for hard battles ever since.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

March 6th, 2018, 13:29
I've started The Witcher series. Never played any of those before (Where have I been?!?!?) So now I'm playing Witcher 1. It's great fun, but my oh my is it difficult. Or more correctly, I find it very difficult at some locations (the swamp). I'm probably not very good at these games. I guess to some of you it's a breeze, but not to me.

Not giving up, though. Challenging games are fun. Especially if I find out how to do it, eventually.

pibbur
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

March 6th, 2018, 15:01
Just 1 point in igni. Not more. In TW1.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

March 6th, 2018, 15:33
I assume that is good advice, which I asked for/got much too late. Well. well.

pibbur who could, but don't want to start the game from the beginning.

PS: I play on normal difficulty. Yeah, it's OK, feel free to make fun of me. DS.
--

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 6th, 2018, 15:53
I'm currently playing Tales of Berseria, and while it is quite similar to Zestria, I've noticed some differences. The beginning of Zestria I found to be very strong, with a robust prologue that lead into the story in a great way. However, a bit into the game it got stuffy and a bit boring, and was a struggle for me to complete in the end. Berseria had a slower start, but seems to be maintaining a better draw throughout the game, at leas for the hours I've put in.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

March 6th, 2018, 17:33
Better now. I worked on my strategy, a better mix of sword and signs, and occasional strategic withdrawal gives me better odds. I love features like this in a game!!!

yay!

pibbur who is slightly enthusiastic.
--

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

March 6th, 2018, 23:06
So The Doctor was a pushover. Lohse insisted on extinguishing all his candles, so perhaps that had something to do with it. Those nurses were a bit annoying running away…

Killed him in three rounds, after prewetting the area: Ethereal Storm, Meteor Storm, Thunderstorm. DONE.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

March 7th, 2018, 03:37
That's a lot of storms

When I did hte fight a long time ago it was hard as hell (are you playing on tactical?); but maybe it is easier with the patches. I should reach him in about 3 weeks.

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
So The Doctor was a pushover. Lohse insisted on extinguishing all his candles, so perhaps that had something to do with it. Those nurses were a bit annoying running away…

Killed him in three rounds, after prewetting the area: Ethereal Storm, Meteor Storm, Thunderstorm. DONE.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

March 7th, 2018, 04:23
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
I've started The Witcher series. Never played any of those before (Where have I been?!?!?) So now I'm playing Witcher 1. It's great fun, but my oh my is it difficult. Or more correctly, I find it very difficult at some locations (the swamp). I'm probably not very good at these games. I guess to some of you it's a breeze, but not to me.

Not giving up, though. Challenging games are fun. Especially if I find out how to do it, eventually.

pibbur
That part with the bloody plant is a bit of difficulty spike. Use potions and Igni on it.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 7th, 2018, 04:26
Well I jumped into Starcrawlers. Anyone have tips/guide for this? Can't seem to find any ( outdated).
--

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2018, 04:39
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Well I jumped into Starcrawlers. Anyone have tips/guide for this? Can't seem to find any ( outdated).

It's pretty straight forward imo. Engineer is ok for the first 15 levels, then sucks for rest of the game. All other classes are wonderfully fun! Hacker is a must-have for missions.

Depending on just how long you stick with the game (NG+, NG++), you might also want to take a look at my Factions guide on the Steam forums. It's still 95% accurate.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

March 7th, 2018, 05:15
That's a lot of storms

When I did hte fight a long time ago it was hard as hell (are you playing on tactical?); but maybe it is easier with the patches. I should reach him in about 3 weeks.
Yeah, not exploration mode, but the next hardest. Early on I wanted to up the difficulty but couldn’t without restarting, which I hate more than it being too easy.

So I imposed rules on myself to make it more difficult:
1. No use of consumables.
2. No character build min / maxing.
3. No deaths.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

March 7th, 2018, 16:31
That's a lot of storms

That fight difficulty depended solely on if the Doctor switch into its true form or not at release. In his human form, he's not hard at all. I'm not sure why the women run away though, they didn't do that in my playthrough and I killed the Doctor in the first round (in his human form).
--
Mission Impossible: clean that overgrown backlog. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

March 7th, 2018, 19:02
In his first turn he switches to his true form, which is what happened to me. So I killed him in his true form on the third round. Still easy.

The 3 point source magic storm spells are very powerful.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

March 8th, 2018, 03:22
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
It's pretty straight forward imo. Engineer is ok for the first 15 levels, then sucks for rest of the game. All other classes are wonderfully fun! Hacker is a must-have for missions.

Depending on just how long you stick with the game (NG+, NG++), you might also want to take a look at my Factions guide on the Steam forums. It's still 95% accurate.
Mui gracias, as HenriqueJr likes to say.
--

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

March 8th, 2018, 20:53
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition, 6 years since my last playthrough
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

March 9th, 2018, 19:57
I fancy a break from turn based fantasy games, so I've bought Mass Effect Andromeda. I'm not sure I'll enjoy it - I didn't like the last couple of Dragon Age games - but I'm really in the mood for giving it a go tonight for some reason. Just downloading now…

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 9th, 2018, 20:08
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I fancy a break from turn based fantasy games, so I've bought Mass Effect Andromeda. I'm not sure I'll enjoy it - I didn't like the last couple of Dragon Age games - but I'm really in the mood for giving it a go tonight for some reason. Just downloading now…
I started ME:A just a couple days ago, and I'm enjoying it. I was really in the mood for sci-fi, and there are so few choices when it comes to RPGs that it won by default.

I'm still very early in the game, but I like how it reminds me of ME 1. It has that feel of a space opera and exploring the unknown that was missing from ME 2&3.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

March 9th, 2018, 20:31
Good to hear! I enjoyed ME1 a lot, and I'm definitely in the mood for some space opera and exploration.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?