Risen 3 Risen 3 like the first Risen

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
I just finished playing the first Risen and was checking out video's on the second and third. It would seem the second Risen is more about pirate which I have zero interest in if true.

Though the third one looks to be more like the first game.

The third game is also based on pirates it's just not the main focus this time. You even start the game as a pirate, but can join three different factions as you play.

All you need to know is that Risen 2 and Risen 3 have horrible console inventory unlike Risen 1.
And that'd be the thing I can't stand in them. Other than that design crime, I love them both.

Thanks, I might as well just start in on the second one and see how I like it.

Everybody says that the 3rd game is better than the 2nd.

Risen 3 is fantastic in many ways, but gets let down by being way too easy.

All the Risen games have fairly severe issues, but they're all most defintely worth playing if you enjoy the PB style of focusing on immersive worlds and strong exploration.

risen 3 in the nutshell:

Postives

+++ Spectacular hand crafted open gameworld
+++Three schools of Magic (crystal, voodoo, rune)
+++ Melee spells
+++ Factions
+++ Good sense of adventure
+++ Gnomes!
+++ Jaffar (Well he is technically a gnome, but he is just plain awesome so he deserves his own entry here)
+++Return of Climbing, swimming & flying
++ Visually game looks quite nice and every location is packed with detail.
++Solid mainquest
++fun sidequests
++ Returning characters from risen 1 & 2
++ Lots of stuff to collect (legendary items, potions, weapons, armor etc)
++ Fun piranhabytes type characters. Expect to see plenty of humourous dialog. Bones is definitely one of the funniest character piranha bytes has writen.
++ Character building is quite rewarding
++ Ranged combat feels quite satisfying even if a bit over powered
+fun minigames
+ Patty got bigger boobs :p
+Voice acting didn't annoy me.

Negatives

— Melee combat is quite a mess. You roll around a lot, because rolling lets you avoid damage. There is no strategy or tactics. Auto aiming makes things too easy and counter attacks make combat a trivial experience
— Lack of challenge. The game is just way too easy for my liking. After joining a faction, you can pretty much insta kill almost everyone with 2 or 3 attacks.
— Main story just forgetable and medicore.
— Naval battles are quite atrocious. I quess piranha bytes were critized so much about lack of it in risen 2, so thats why we got this half assed attempt for a ship combat.
— Male/female ratio is still kind of odd. This is supposed to be a real world, but there seems to be so few women inhabitting it. In comparsion Gothic 2 or risen 1 had plenty of female characters.
- Npc routines are far behind gothic series or risen 1.
-Most enemies are just cannon fodder and enemy a.i is quite bad.
- Soul value was a good idea, but execution was lacking. basicly soul value had very little relevance to the game's story or gameplay. I kind of expected a lot more from piranha bytes
- Voice acting is at times quite dreadfull (Player character & patty mostly)
- Patty got nice set of boobs, but she is main character's sister… Now why on earth did they do that? :D

ps. Even though i joked about Patty's boobs, I actually prefered Patty from risen 2.

Last edited:
Now why did I help her in the first game now. I was hoping to get a little if she was in the next two LOL.

Thanks, I am going to play the second one then move right into the 3. This way it will feel complete to me.

Oh you play a different main character in risen 3. :) Risen 2 still has the same main character from risen 1.

— Lack of challenge. The game is just way too easy for my liking. After joining a faction, you can pretty much insta kill almost everyone with 2 or 3 attacks.

You must have played on Normal difficulty. You can simply play it on Hard if you want more of a challenge.

It's still not nearly as challenging as something like Gothic 2 for example, but it's not as easy as what you're describing.

Actually, I played on Hard and found the game excessively easy after around 1/3 of the game. I picked Demon Hunters, so maybe they're easier or whatever.

Way easier than both Risen and Risen 2 - though Risen 2 had a similar problem if you picked Firearms.

Really? I didn't find much of a difference between Risen 2 and Risen 3. Rather, I'd say they were both way easier than Risen 1.

Really? I didn't find much of a difference between Risen 2 and Risen 3. Rather, I'd say they were both way easier than Risen 1.

Yeah, I'm not exaggerating, and since I'm a big fan of R3 - it's not a bash.

I remember the tutorial being stupid easy - and I was worried about it. Then the "proper" game started, and it was better - and more in line with Risen 1. However, around the time I picked my faction, combat had become way too easy, and I don't cheese encounters. Obviously, I do have a lot of experience with efficient character building - but we all do.

For instance, I focused a lot on throwing knives and DH buffs (speed and shield being the best ones, IIRC) - and I made sure I had a LOT of knives, and I killed most of the harder portal encounters simply by spamming them. WAY too easy. I guess they didn't intend for this to be the primary damage dealer - because the cooldown was too short. That said, it wasn't long before my melee damage was insane - and coupled with buffs - I'd say 9 out of 10 fights were mindless clicking. No tactics necessary at all.

Risen 2 had the same problem if you focused on guns, but it was harder if you played melee. Well, it was hard for me. I never completed it, though. I stopped at the last island, I think

I guess we'll just have to disagree then. :)

To me, Risen 2 was definitely a lot closer to R3 than it was to Risen 1. I found that I never really needed any tactics in either game.

Coincidentally, I hear Risen 3 just had a patch (1.2) after months without one. Supposed to be out on Steam.

There's a new "Ultra" difficulty mode.

Ain't that something :)

Oh, here it is:

http://risen3.deepsilver.com/en/patch-12-download

Changelog Risen 3 Patch 1.20
--------------------------------------
New Feature:

New difficulty mode "Ultra". In Ultra mode the player is not invincible anymore while evading and there is a cooldown while using healing potions

Balancing:

Balancing adjustments in final sea serpent fights
Exploit fix: Jaffar doesn't multiply the value of collected gold pouches anymore

Bugfixes:

Fixed issue where the player got stuck while jumping after climbing a ladder
Fixed issue where the player was unable to find the shimmering pearl in collected shells for the "The Sign of the Ancients" quest
Fixed crash when Jaffar tries to collect an item which is currently under telekinesis by the player
New session: Fixed rarely occurring issue where corpses were removed from the world so that some quests couldn't be resolved (Honor the Dead, Lost in the forbidden valley,...)
New session: In some rare cases, there where issues with Zacharias teleport onto Skullisland. Zacharias will now be teleported correctly.

This patch is only meant for the DRM-free retail edition. The patch is cumulative, working for all earlier game versions. Owners of the Steam version should update the game via Steam.
In some cases Avast Antivirus causes error messages, when starting the game the first time. Don't mind. Nevertheless the games works fine.

That is quite a coincidence. :)

I like that they made it harder by changing certain mechanics rather than simply adding more HP and damage to enemies. The cooldown for potions is especially nice. Too bad they never did that for Risen 2.

Now thats a nice surprise :) Now i'm definitely going to replay Risen 3. Balancing dodge move and potion spamming is a big step into right direction. Not to mention other fixes.

You must have played on Normal difficulty. You can simply play it on Hard if you want more of a challenge.

It's still not nearly as challenging as something like Gothic 2 for example, but it's not as easy as what you're describing.

Nope..I noticed quite soon that normal difficulty setting was like a god mode. Then I changed it to hard which felt challenging, at first. However when I joined faction and I gained better armor and better skills... Well not that different anymore.

Back
Top Bottom