RPGWatch Feature - Torment: Tides of Numenera Impressions

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Corwin entered the world of Numenera in the beta version of Torment: Tides of Numenera and wrote his first impressions of the game.

The 'look' of the game is very reminiscent of PS:T from the architecture to the camera view; I almost felt at home. The atmosphere also has been captured quite effectively, at least in the opening area of the Sagus Cliffs. Each of the many maps is made for exploration and this is an aspect to be enjoyed; there is something interesting to discover on all parts of every map; there's very little 'empty' space and almost all the maps are crowded with people. While some of these people are there merely to decorate the scenery, most will have a detailed conversation with you and many will offer a quest. Talk to everyone, some of them more than once.
More information.

Thanks Corwin!

Thanks, Corwin!

almost all the maps are crowded with people. While some of these people are there merely to decorate the scenery, most will have a detailed conversation with you and many will offer a quest. Talk to everyone, some of them more than once.
Stopped reading there.
It's a game of my dreams, I don't need to know more!

j/k, I've read it all, I'm not action twich streamer and I could never ever force myself into watching that crap instead of playing a game, great preview, thanks Corwin!

Thanks for the preview, Corwin!
I haven't backed the game, tho I intend to get it after release.

Hmm I need to install the beta....

*Standard disclaimer: All this is my opinion, and your mileage may vary*

Yea, that opening is such a mess. I think that whole opening scene needs to be scrapped, and something completely different put in its place, honestly. It is very confusing, not fun, way too long and drawn out, with no reward, and will put off many gamers. Hell, just your character waking up on a table in some strange doctors office type room, like the first game, would be a much better opening scene than what they got now. And where the player just picks their stats and skills in a traditional manner, instead of the way where you answer a bunch of obscure questions, and then the game decides what your character will be organically…that is very lame, IMHO.

And maybe an option for those who want to skip some of the novels of text would be great as well, like, in an options screen, "less text (action focused gamer)" would be an option, and the game would then cut out half or more of the normal text. And it would all still make some sort of sense…Oh well, a guy can dream, anyway, heh.

Thanks, Corwin. Your impressions are similar to other impressions that I've read, and it sounds like the developers have some (a lot?) of polishing to do. That's hardly surprising, so it could turn out well.

Thanks for the impression. Sounds like mostly good news, except for the opening segment... I hope they get that sorted out. I generally detest in-game tutorials and prefer they be very brief, if not completely optional.

Think I'll probably resist the urge to mess around with the beta and just wait for release. I just hope one RPG I've been looking forward to actually gets released this year.

Thanks for posting this, but surely you can say *something* about the combat?
Bugs aside, is it at least better than the TBWP of Pillars?

Thanks for posting this, but surely you can say *something* about the combat?
Bugs aside, is it at least better than the TBWP of Pillars?

(the following is based on the alpha build I played)

The combat in Torment is way different than Pillars. Torment has a true turn-based combat system, and it's likely to please the more "old school" turn-based combat fans. Each character - and enemy - gets a move along a set initiative, and when you click to move somewhere, a dotted arrow pops up and basically asks you to click again to confirm. You finish your action, then someone else goes, and it comes back around to you.

Thanks Corwin! The artwork is gorgeous :smitten:

Will most likely get this after early access.

All Kickstarter backers can play now? I guess I missed that update.

Last edited:
Thanks, Aubrielle and sea. I can't stand a game with crummy combat so I'll remain optimistic.

All Kickstarter backers can play now? I guess I missed that update.

O'rly? I also must have missed that update. That is rather tempting, I'm going to hold off and wait for the release version on this one.

Back
Top Bottom