The TV Series discussion thread

I believe series three of Expanse might start this evening. Again, not nearly as good as the novels but certainly worth watching.....recorded to view only after hockey games are completed, of course!!

It's because of the hot people in the show
Heh yeah you're probably right…! :)

I believe series three of Expanse might start this evening. Again, not nearly as good as the novels but certainly worth watching…..recorded to view only after hockey games are completed, of course!!
Ahh brilliant that's great news. It will be while before it hits Netflix I imagine (I think they usually wait until the full run has aired on terrestrial) but it is definitely something to look forward to!

Didn't know The Expanse is back. It has a lot of flaws, but I've taken a liking to it.

Lexx is available on Amazon prime. It is hard to recommend that series because it is flat out surreal weird. Just fantastic art design but some people might not like the type of humor that runs throughout the series. Additionally the show rigidly operates under the Red Shirt theory so don't get to attached to any new-likeable characters. Still, there are images from that show that kinda haunt me to this very day . . . years later. I plan on a third re-watch very soon.

And Brisco County is simply just great. I just have to give a huge shout out to the show that taught me about back wash . . . .

Watched a bit more of The Terror. Still enjoying it, but it does have a bit of a problem. As a drama of ships stranded, tensions rising, complicated relationships breaking down, it's really good. The trouble is, the supernatural aspect feels almost tacked on, with the monster attacks quite dull and not scary. It's as if the director knows how to do period drama, but not really how to do a creature feature.

I agree about the whole supernatural aspect of the show, and I hope they continue to keep that at five minutes or less per episode. I'm much more interested to watch their survival skills in play and to see how shipboard life continues as they are trapped in the ice flow.

Just watched ep. 1 of season 2 of Legion. This show is just too deep for me, perhaps if I were to smoke 1 lb. of marijuana before watching I might get it. I realize it's beautifully done, but my mind is just not made for it.

You're wrong. No amount of pot can help there. I've dropped that garbage after just a few episodes.
Deep… Man, Skyrim nonexisting story is deeper than that crap.

Got bored, it's just added on Netflix so I binged Lost In Space. It's a remake/reboot.

What was I thinking going into it blind.
What does it contain?

- boring and cliche set of characters, of course one family member is nurse/doctor, of course the person on the top is making poor decisions and of course the villain is so cunning (not really) and pwns everyone

- superintelligent kid with more wisdom than all characters combined except, yea, he's blind when a script needs that

- a family that's functional and disfunctional at the same time, depends on someone's PMS and minutes an episode needs to have

- roguelike bad luck and clumsyness to make a watcher feeling excited or something, but the effect is so badly executed it turns into "getting on nerves"

- really... no drama, no action, no sci fi, no performance, no music, no nothing. A mishmash of everything that in the end you'll ask yourself what did you do to deserve this punishment.

If Spielberg made it, this show would make him proud while the audience would barf over and over. But it's not his show, so it has a couple of positives in.
The only two bright points is Penny character (feels real) and although silly, tar escape with helium is fun.
But should you waste your life on 10 episodes just for that?

I say avoid at all costs.

I watched the first episode and, other than seeing Bill Mumy for the maybe the first time since he played Lenier, I saw nothing worthwhile at all in the show. Stick with the sixties version, you'll be better for it. The way that mother talked to her kids made me want to take her out to the woodshed, and I really like the actress from her Deadwood role, but the writers did her no favours in this part.

Definitely maintaining my impression of The Terror - a five star historical drama, and a two star monster story. If they excised the monster bit, it would lose nothing.

Just watched episode 8, and there was a straightforward drama scene that could win awards. Really good stuff.

I only lasted half of the first episode of LOST in space, pure crap!!

The most memorable item for me in the new Lost in Space show was Mumy, assuming he's only in the first episode, I care not at all for the rest. I'll spend that time on a book or game instead.

Casting a black Judy killed the show for me. I have no problem whatsoever with Black or Asian or Hispanic or Vulcan people in tv, but changing a series with nonsense changes just to meet a diversity quota tells me all I need to know about a series' producers.

I'm 3 episodes in to Lost in Space, and i'm enjoying it so far. It doesn't do anything particularly great (except the scenery from where I grew up), but it's one of the better series out there that the whole family can watch. And I agree with @wolfing; . I can't stand when they add diversity, just for the sake of a quota (which is kind of what killed "A Wrinkle In Time"). She's a decent actress though, so i'm hoping we get some back story for that.

I'm enjoying it much more than Salvation. That show is a mess.

I'm 3 episodes in to Lost in Space, and i'm enjoying it so far. It doesn't do anything particularly great (except the scenery from where I grew up), but it's one of the better series out there that the whole family can watch. And I agree with @wolfing; . I can't stand when they add diversity, just for the sake of a quota (which is kind of what killed "A Wrinkle In Time"). She's a decent actress though, so i'm hoping we get some back story for that.

I'm enjoying it much more than Salvation. That show is a mess.
I mean, I wouldn't have minded too much if it was the first officer or the doctor (or hell even the robot could have been changed to a 'black' android), but changing a daughter means changing the parents, so now the captain is in a second marriage and divorced or something. At this point why take the name "Lost in Space", those who watched it don't care for the changes, and new viewers don't know the name. Might as well call it 'Lost Space Family' and save the royalty money.

Lost in Space fan since it originally aired back in the 60s.

Two episodes in on the remake of Lost in Space. I had no problem with the addition of the black character, although it's kinda strange it hasn't been explained yet. But I can see how this can be a problem for some since Judy was the hot character back in the day. Now she is literally just another kid on the ship. Thus no hot female to ogle over. (However, to be honest, back in the day Angela Cartwright (Penny) was my adolescent dream girl.... Judy was just . . . M e h. soooo many dreams about Angela :)

The problem thus far with this show is that while they took away the silliness from the original series, the plotting is far too formulaic and the story feels like it could have been written 40 years ago (except for one aspect). But right now, Lost in Space is simply too predictable.

The other thing I have a problem with is why is everybody trying to write their show like "LOST"? I really found it kind of annoying with Lost and for my money the only show that did it right was "Arrow", at least for the first few seasons.

The one aspect of Lost in Space that seem to be contemporary story telling is the back and forth narrative. And it's not working for me. The way Arrow did this type of story telling, the back story was interesting and could have actually been its own show. Far too many use the back and forth narrative simply to explain things. And thus far I am not getting any compelling story in the past, only character fill information.

Still, I will continue to watch. One of my best friends is a Lost in Space fanatic. He's in the Hollywood industry and were going to have a great discussion about this series.

Finished The Terror, and I'm glad I watched it - there's some real quality in there. My strongest feeling, though, is of a missed opportunity. If the supernatural aspect had been as strong as the rest of the drama, it could have been a classic. One review described it as Master and Commander meets The Thing. They nailed the Master and Commander bit, but sadly the other part fell way short of John Carpenter.

I found the series finale of The Terror pretty rousing and memorable. Was worried it was going to turn into a CGI crapfest but the monster in its final appearance was actually menacing and quite creepy when you realized just how anthropomorphic its features were. More of a cross between a hyena and a human than a polar bear. One daring element they removed from the novel however was the bizarre master-blaster relationship Cornelius Hickey has with his bearish henchman/lover that he uses to strong arm and control the others. The FX regarding partially-eaten cannibalized corpses were pretty grisly.

I watched the first episode and, other than seeing Bill Mumy for the maybe the first time since he played Lenier, I saw nothing worthwhile at all in the show. Stick with the sixties version, you'll be better for it. The way that mother talked to her kids made me want to take her out to the woodshed, and I really like the actress from her Deadwood role, but the writers did her no favours in this part.

We made it through the first episode ... well, more fair to say that my wife and older son endured sitting there while I made it through the first episode! :D

The 60s show was one of my absolute faves as a kid, and that was what got me through the first episode. Not likely to touch another one - not *bad*, just incredibly bland.

Back
Top Bottom