Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How do you change your advisors? I haven't been able to figure this out, but I know it's possible. Also, when (how) do you get more than 5. I hate missing opportunities because all my advisors are already busy doing something else!!

How do you change your advisors? I haven't been able to figure this out, but I know it's possible. Also, when (how) do you get more than 5. I hate missing opportunities because all my advisors are already busy doing something else!!
You only start out with a few and have to find others as you quest. The positions are also dependent on your barony levels like military, loyalty, trade, and so on.

So some wont open up till later in the game.

Advisor List - https://pathfinderkingmaker.gamepedia.com/Advisors

Also the button is on the upper right hand corner of the kingdom UI.

Couch already answered but I'll add - be prepared to miss opportunities AND problems. It's part of the kingdom process :p. Just also make sure to rank up your advisors whenever you get the chance.

If you have multiple people for certain posts you can only change advisors when they are not busy handling a problem/opportunity.

And you will get more positions open as your basic stats (loyalty, community, divine, military get higher in value). You can boost this by making more buildings in your regions, conquering more regions and claiming natural resources within claimed regions.

I still don't see any button that allows you to change advisors. When I go into the advisors panel, nothing I try to do changes anything, nor does it bring up any options to change advisors. One in particular has been nothing but disastrous!!

@Corwin; - in the advisor tab, click on the card of assigned advisors, it will show all possible candidates for the role. If you have more than one option for each role, you should be able to change advisor.

In the early game, there's only one candidates available for each position, except general and high priest role:

Both Amiri and Regongar can be general. If you have Kassill, he is also eligible.
For high priest, Harrim and Jhod will be the available candidates

I still don't see any button that allows you to change advisors. When I go into the advisors panel, nothing I try to do changes anything, nor does it bring up any options to change advisors. One in particular has been nothing but disastrous!!

Click their portraits. If you have no other available advisor options for that aspect then nothing will happen. Only when you have multiple advisors to choose from does it give you the option to change them. And to make the advisors better you have to A) build buildings to increase your kingdom stats, and then every 20 points they increase you can "rank up" the stat which increases your advisor's ability to deal with events. So instead of having a +4 to a problem, they'll have a +6 or +7, etc.. You have to keep doing this over time to keep up with the events that come or your advisors will be outleveled and failing more. Conquer more territories to be able to build new settlements which equals more buildings and kingdom stats. Finally, visit the settlements and talk to the unique crafters that arrive there, do their quests and you'll be getting gifts from them in the form of unique items. That will give you extra cash to buy BP, too, so you can stay ahead of the game with extra bought BP. Hope that helps a bit! It took me my second run to really get a grasp of kingdom management, but now it's pretty much a breeze. Only rank up when you have time and there's no super dangerous kingdom event happening and you should be good to go. :)

@Corwin; I also recommend you change kingdom management difficulty to easy, it will make things a lot more easier.

Does anyone know if the mind blank spell works? The single target version seems to provide no bonus.

Does anyone know if the mind blank spell works? The single target version seems to provide no bonus.
It makes a single character immune to most crowd control effects. That's it really. Keep in mind that there's a lot of dispelling going on later in the game, so buffs get removed a lot. Also, the best way to counter annoying paralyze effects is Freedom (either as a spell or permanent effect via certain items).

It makes a single character immune to most crowd control effects. That's it really. Keep in mind that there's a lot of dispelling going on later in the game, so buffs get removed a lot. Also, the best way to counter annoying paralyze effects is Freedom (either as a spell or permanent effect via certain items).

It doesn't seem to work in my game. :-/ I've tested the single target and the communal version, and neither shows up on character sheet, nor in combat logs. If dispel was to blame, I'd expect other buffs to be removed.

It doesn't seem to work in my game. :-/ I've tested the single target and the communal version, and neither shows up on character sheet, nor in combat logs. If dispel was to blame, I'd expect other buffs to be removed.

Not necessarily, iirc, the "area" form of dispel removes one spell only from each target (if it succeeds) But your log should show something...I hope it's not broken I'm almost at the end of game, and only have a communal version on scroll (!x only!!!) so it had better work.

Let me know if it works for you. I ended up lowering the difficulty to easy in the final chapter just to make it through, because I won't have any time for gaming in December and I really wanted to see the conclusion to the story. :p

For anyone interested, my hero got the secret romance. Spoilers ahead!
In order to succeed, your character needs to give her the briar and not to be in love with anyone else. Apparently the Lantern King has cursed her so that her ability to love can be only returned to her, if the briar is freely given to her by someone who loves her. You will then get a chance to convince her that the Lantern King can be defeated, which is apparently dependent on some of the choices you've made during the game.

When you go to the Eldest, she will be there as well and together you will learn that one way to break a curse is to refuse it. Apparently then the curse affects whomever has spoken it instead. Sheeesh, should have said no to that old man on the road, it seems. When you discuss this all with Nyrissa, you can decide to face the King together. (I got a bit confused at this point, however, as to who is supposed to do exactly what. :p)

Well, it turns out you are supposed to administer the beating. Aftern the Lantern King makes you his offer, there is an option to shout to Nyrissa for help, and she faces him and refuses his curse. You then get several alignment-restricted options to refuse yours.
My hero went with the chaotic choice, which is quite poetic justice: since the curse was that to claim the land was to claim its pain and death, he abdicated his crown to the Lantern King. The curse then fulfilled itself and destroyed him.

Epilogue was Nyrissa staying by the hero's side and helping to rebuild the stolen lands, and how she went to be very popular with the people.

Let me know if it works for you. I ended up lowering the difficulty to easy in the final chapter just to make it through, because I won't have any time for gaming in December and I really wanted to see the conclusion to the story. :p

For anyone interested, my hero got the secret romance. Spoilers ahead!
In order to succeed, your character needs to give her the briar and not to be in love with anyone else. Apparently the Lantern King has cursed her so that her ability to love can be only returned to her, if the briar is freely given to her by someone who loves her. You will then get a chance to convince her that the Lantern King can be defeated, which is apparently dependent on some of the choices you've made during the game.

When you go to the Eldest, she will be there as well and together you will learn that one way to break a curse is to refuse it. Apparently then the curse affects whomever has spoken it instead. Sheeesh, should have said no to that old man on the road, it seems. When you discuss this all with Nyrissa, you can decide to face the King together. (I got a bit confused at this point, however, as to who is supposed to do exactly what. :p)

Well, it turns out you are supposed to administer the beating. Aftern the Lantern King makes you his offer, there is an option to shout to Nyrissa for help, and she faces him and refuses his curse. You then get several alignment-restricted options to refuse yours.
My hero went with the chaotic choice, which is quite poetic justice: since the curse was that to claim the land was to claim its pain and death, he abdicated his crown to the Lantern King. The curse then fulfilled itself and destroyed him.

Epilogue was Nyrissa staying by the hero's side and helping to rebuild the stolen lands, and how she went to be very popular with the people.
In end game enemies have sneak attack. Also high level rogues have Dispel on sneak attack ability. I noticed that ability is already possessed by the little fey people you fight throughout the game, I would not be surprised if Wild Hunt also have it.

The only one I had to use cold iron weapon was Crag Linnorm.. did you guys encounter any other mobs that require cold iron weapons?
Just discovered another one:
An "enraged owlbear treant" or something like that. It's in a secret area of world where you have to kill the big flower. Roughly middle of the game.

An "enraged owlbear treant" or something like that. It's in a secret area of world where you have to kill the big flower. Roughly middle of the game.

Are you referring to the everblooming flower fight, where you have to split the party into two groups? Hmm.. I thought I killed the treant without using the cold iron weapon last time. Strange.

I didn't need Cold Iron to kill that one, weird. But I did come across some Primal Shambling Mound thing outside of the Verdant Chambers during Tristian's quest that I couldn't kill no matter what I tried. I tried Cold Iron and every element in the game and it simply wouldn't die. Was that possibly a bug or is there some weird thing you have to do to kill those?

Are you referring to the everblooming flower fight, where you have to split the party into two groups? Hmm.. I thought I killed the treant without using the cold iron weapon last time. Strange.

He's talking about
that side room during the magical lantern area of the Bloom quest. Near the Old Gnome there's a room that leads to an Enraged Owlbear Treant or something or other in there, it's pretty tough at that level. I didn't need Cold Iron for it though, maybe they just patched that in because they forgot to add it when the game released.

He's talking about
that side room during the magical lantern area of the Bloom quest. Near the Old Gnome there's a room that leads to an Enraged Owlbear Treant or something or other in there, it's pretty tough at that level. I didn't need Cold Iron for it though, maybe they just patched that in because they forgot to add it when the game released.

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about too.

I didn't need Cold Iron to kill that one, weird. But I did come across some Primal Shambling Mound thing outside of the Verdant Chambers during Tristian's quest that I couldn't kill no matter what I tried. I tried Cold Iron and every element in the game and it simply wouldn't die. Was that possibly a bug or is there some weird thing you have to do to kill those?

You need to kill it with negative energy e.g. inflict wound spell.

Back
Top Bottom