Top sellers for 2018 on Steam

There is an archive of covers of the German game magazine "PC Games". http://www.pcgames.de/PC-Games-Brands-19921/Specials/PC-Games-Cover-Archiv-694662/
As you can see, the cover very much shows how much PC gaming has changed …
That goes back over 25 years which includes the big audience change.

10 years ago was Valkryia Chronicles, King's Bounty, Metal Gear Solid 4, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, X3: Terran Conflict, The Last Remnant, and Fallout 3. I'm not seeing a ton of change since then.

Over the past 10? I guess not. Things changed big from the 90's through the early naughties because the audience changed from people willing to deal with highmem-vs-extendedmem to the more general population but the past 10 doesn't seem to have changed all that much to me.
Last 10 years have seen many major evolutions, or changes (that is temporary evolutions):
- Crowdfunding was a deep change with multiple very notable effects. That it's perhaps temporary and decreasing doesn't minimize the change amplitude.
- Multiplayer versus Single player is a balance that seem have evolved a lot the last 10 years, but now it seems have reach a point of relative stability.
- Indie games seem have evolved a lot to Roguelite along the last ten years, but it seems that this evolution has stopped or even decrease.
- Some new or old genres have progressed significantly, at least on indie side, like building, survival, platform, or adventure.
- Indies games importance in the global game industry has increased significantly, and it's hardly finished.
- Number of games released is constantly increasing, and it's hardly finished.
- Number of turn based games have skyrocketed.
- Constant mobile rising could finally have an effect on computer video games, for now it's not apparent.

And I'm sure I could list many more tremendous changes that happened in video games mainly along the last 10 years.

Well, our genre seems to be going well overall.

Elder Scrolls Online and Farcry 5 and AC: Odyssey are all platinum, so that's gotta be good in some ways. No "pure" crpg in the top 12 though.
Well I believed that Kingdom Come was a real RPG, unlike ACO and Farcry 5, and ES Online is clearly a MMO.

….
Looks like Elex didn't do anything. No staying power at all. PB needs to change if they want to grow. However, they have a niche if they don't mind staying small.
Not a surprise for ELEX, it disappeared quickly from steam best sells list, and got a lot of negative feedback during first weeks, until it started improve.

As far I can remember Tyranny also suffered a lot of negative feedback during first weeks, and if I remember well, less than two years after it sold more than 600K which is certainly not bad at all for a budget certainly relatively limited. Ok it depends of what was the sales, but sales hardly skyrocket the number of units sold, it's not working like that. A game that didn't sell well will sell more with sales but not up to reach another step, and 600K is something already.

If ELEX performs as well, it certainly will be a significant profit for the dev and publisher.

The real surprise is to see in Copper:
- PoE2, I believed it was more a sell disaster.
- Vampyr, isn't it the first RPG of this publisher selling really fairly well?

There's a trend that if a game didn't sell 1M units it's a fail, but it depends a lot of the budget required.

- Crowdfunding was a deep change with multiple very notable effects. That it's perhaps temporary and decreasing doesn't minimize the change amplitude.
Yeah, that's been a thing. It's allowed some developers to take some more risks - at backers' expense when it doesn't work out. It gave a real shot in the arm to isometric RPGs and space sims.
- Multiplayer versus Single player is a balance that seem have evolved a lot the last 10 years, but now it seems have reach a point of relative stability.
Well subscription MMOs have all but died but I think they were vanishing fast 10 years ago. Has it really changed all that much?
- Indie games seem have evolved a lot to Roguelite along the last ten years, but it seems that this evolution has stopped or even decrease.
I'm still not even sure what "Rogelite" is supposed to mean. I know Rogue. I know Rogue-like. But changing that k to a t loses me?
- Some new or old genres have progressed significantly, at least on indie side, like building, survival, platform, or adventure.
Errr, they have? I don't really know those genres enough to say.
- Indies games importance in the global game industry has increased significantly, and it's hardly finished.
It doesn't seem like much change has come to the big indies, though the tiny indies pretty much didn't exist before and do now.
- Number of games released is constantly increasing, and it's hardly finished.
Sheesh, that's for sure. The number of games I'm actually interesting in PLAYING has only increased somewhat but we've now got an avalanche of new games going 24/7 on Steam.
- Number of turn based games have skyrocketed.
Yep!
- Constant mobile rising could finally have an effect on computer video games, for now it's not apparent.
There's been some convenient converts from mobile coming in from Square in the form of all those Final Fantasy games showing up.

Well subscription MMOs have all but died but I think they were vanishing fast 10 years ago. Has it really changed all that much?
Not MMO, Multiplayer/Coop versus single player. Last 10 years MP/Coop definitely grown significantly in comparison of single player, but this rise seems have stop this year.

I'm still not even sure what "Rogelite" is supposed to mean. I know Rogue. I know Rogue-like. But changing that k to a t loses me?
Seriously you need an explanation for Roguelite/Roguelike?

Overall the lite is some procedural generations but with variations very far to be at level of Roguelike. On that base Roguelite use various design tricks, from unlocks to persistent aspects.

As usual, there's no clear definition on which any player will agree, that's why the joke definition is probably the best, games that pretend to be Roguelike but aren't.

It doesn't seem like much change has come to the big indies, though the tiny indies pretty much didn't exist before and do now.
Big indies? Well what was big indies? I don't remember any 15 years ago. I could admit Gothic dev could have been considered like one but it wasn't, if it is it's retroactively then this is a significant change, the perception change.

Big indies, small indies, tiny indies, it's just a huge change, from assaulting consoles to invading Steam, including best sells steam lists.
Sheesh, that's for sure. The number of games I'm actually interesting in PLAYING has only increased somewhat but we've now got an avalanche of new games going 24/7 on Steam.
Bad for you, for me no way I can compare last decade with previous decade, it's just huge. And common if you agree on turn based games, admit a fair number are good enough to want play them and enjoy play them, if not, then sorry for you.

There's been some convenient converts from mobile coming in from Square in the form of all those Final Fantasy games showing up.
Right, computer games get plenty new games from mobile, most are really just mobile games, some are still interesting to get on a computer, despite the indie market already present.

It's also possible that a significant number of computer indie dev live better by having some games ported to mobiles.

But I had no precise analysis on that, just that now mobile game market is more income than both classic consoles and PC. No way that was true 10 years ago, it's coming from evolution those last 10 years, but for now no clear impact. If that continue be sure there will be an impact on computer video games market that is more than just plenty of pointless games and a few more added to indie crowd.

Back
Top Bottom