PC Gamer - 2019 RPGs to look forward to

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer shares their list of 2019 RPGs to look forward to.

The Outer Worlds

2019 | Obsidian Entertainment | Preview

Last year, Wes got a look at the next RPG from Fallout designers Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. He described it as a "first-person RPG shooter, with a focus on roleplaying above all else." There are multiple paths through every scenario--fight, talk, sneak--and an emphasis on player choices. And, since it's a Tim Cain game, you can play as a dumbass and be gifted with appropriate dialogue options. Check out Wes' preview for all the other details we have so far.

Shenmue 3

August 27 | Ys Net | Official site

It's really happening. We're fans of the Dreamcast classics Shenmue and Shenmue 2, for reasons Andy describes well in his 2018 Personal Pick, in which he calls Shenmue "a singular game with a bold vision, and one of the most powerfully atmospheric things I've ever played." It's slow, and that's its strength: The mundanity of feeding your cat is at the core of Shenmue's appeal, even as a revenge story burns at the edges. Finally, that story will be concluded. And hopefully the cat is alright.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I can't believe they listed Boyfriend Dungeon…

Only by the broadest possible definition ("A role-playing game is a game in which you play a role!") is Shenmue even an RPG. It's also almost certainly going to be crap.

Only by the broadest possible definition ("A role-playing game is a game in which you play a role!") is Shenmue even an RPG. It's also almost certainly going to be crap.
Enjoyed the Yakuza games and they follow the same formula. So yes it's more of a action adventure game with RPG elements. Just like most major games nowadays.
I'd date my Celestial Fury. Or Flail of Ages
Dagger doesn't look to bad hope shes straight.:biggrin:

They have their own "definition":
If a game's any good (and Odyssey was), it doesn't really matter, but as we look ahead to the RPGs of 2019, we've picked games that have an RPG feel in our view.
So as they're relying feelings, they can do whatever they want. ;)

I'd date my Celestial Fury. Or Flail of Ages ;)
Until the "fix" in the unofficial patches and enhanced edition which causes Flail of Ages +5 to make the character immune to both slow and haste effects due to gaining "Freedom". So annoying..

Celestial Fury is still fine though. And Carsomyr. I love Carsomyr.

Until the "fix" in the unofficial patches and enhanced edition which causes Flail of Ages +5 to make the character immune to both slow and haste effects due to gaining "Freedom". So annoying..

Celestial Fury is still fine though. And Carsomyr. I love Carsomyr.

I don't deal with EEs ;)

Yeah, I never got why they had so much fairy golf in Bards Tale.

But I doubt they'd do that for Wasteland 3. It's not like much of Wasteland 2 made it into Bards Tale. Seems like the design of those games is being kept separate.

Back
Top Bottom