Rime Berta (Japanese PC SRPG)

http://www.playism-games.com/games/rimeberta/

I have been playing this for the last few hours, it's actually an amateur SRPG from Japan. I must say right away that the production values show: the character sketches in the in-game cutscenes are really bad, there are almost no cutscenes and not much of a story, there are not many different 2D sprites for character models, and there is not a lot of content (there seems to be 20 levels or so). The game doesn't seem all that balanced, and the AI has some problems (I've had an enemy mage commit suicide, and enemies not attacking or moving for strange reasons).

Having said that, this game does manage to have a few innovations of its own. First, there are "reaction skills", which you can use to protect either yourself or your other party members (for example, reducing damage or counter-attacks). Also, you have a limited number of action points, which gradually replenishes, and which you use for any action such as moving, attacking, and using a special skill. It's up to you to decide how to use those skills: if you always do everything you might end up not being able to attack or to move. So these are both features which would be nice to have present in other games in this genre.

There are three levels of difficulty (easy, normal, and hard). I've picked hard. In the beginning the battles are very very difficult, as you're pit against twice as many enemies and cornered. It seems to even out as you progress though. And it has a system similar to the "job system" in Final Fantasy Tactics, meaning you can switch classes as you please.

I have enjoyed my time with it so far, and it is worth a look for gamers who enjoy SRPGs.

Back
Top Bottom