What games are you playing now? - Page 687 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

April 23rd, 2021, 10:38
Taking a break from the recent SaGa: Frontier Remaster, it is time to connect old and new with Saviors of Sapphire Wings (Switch, also on PC)

This is a very well made Wizardry clone blobber, but with a certain Japanese flavor.
(Japan is very keen to keep the Wizardry legacy alive)

The story is a unique anime take on the Knights of the Round Table (melodrama a DD-cup boobs aplenty), but the gameplay is pure bliss: a surprisingly Western-style character system, fun dungeons, great artwork, snappy user interface.

Also the game is bundled with the more hardcore Stranger of Sword City, which has roughly the same mechanism, has a very dark atmosphere, plus some very hardcore gameplay twists (very flexible party setup, permadeath, unique "character age governs survival vs experience" logic, etc)
Talk about value for money. . .

If you are into Wizardry, or old school blobbers in general, I recommend both games, as they are two sides of the same coin: Saviors is Wizardry light and casual, while Stranger is Wizardry dark and hardcore.
duerer is offline

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

#13721

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

April 23rd, 2021, 12:43
I played 15 mins or so of Diablo Immortal on a friends phone. As someone who hasn't played a phone game since Snake on a Nokia it's very impressive. I can't really say much else or give a comparison to Diablo3 off such a short time with it. Pretty cool, though.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13722

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

Default 

April 23rd, 2021, 16:11
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Didn't exactly put on my big-boy pants, but I manage to overpowered the chained ogre and finish him off. I was overpowered as hell. I got the flame vent prosthetic and hit him 3-4 times and just wailed on him while he was on fire. And I also bit into the candy that grants bonus attack power and defense, just to make sure I can finish him as fast as possible, and thus reducing the risk he's gonna grab me. And even overpowered like this, he managed to kill me once, but then I resurrected and spammed him with flame vent again, and then kept wailing on him. He's just impossible to dodge. Onto the next boss that'll give me nightmares.
I had to give up on Sekiro, it was too hard for me. I've played all the Souls games but my play style was never the type of build/style required in Sekiro. Loved the game and the setting but just couldn't hack it, parrying is just to hard for me. Finished the Genichiro boss after 50 tries and then gave up on the game. I just lost interest I guess. Hoping that the upcoming Elden Ring is more similar to the other Souls-games.
Lemonhead is offline

Lemonhead

Lemonhead's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#13723

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 982
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

April 23rd, 2021, 17:36
I also gave up after 20 failed tries with Genichiro Ashina. It was a wonderful trip up to him, but after that I had severe muscle pain in my wrist and elbow area and did not want to continue. A shame as it is a near masterpiece, but leaned more towards a certain play-style.

Having said that, there are many technique paths that one can follow and augmentations and I did not try many of them to see if they make a difference.
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13724

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Default 

April 23rd, 2021, 17:42
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
I had to give up on Sekiro, it was too hard for me. I've played all the Souls games but my play style was never the type of build/style required in Sekiro. Loved the game and the setting but just couldn't hack it, parrying is just to hard for me. Finished the Genichiro boss after 50 tries and then gave up on the game. I just lost interest I guess. Hoping that the upcoming Elden Ring is more similar to the other Souls-games.
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
I also gave up after 20 failed tries with Genichiro Ashina. It was a wonderful trip up to him, but after that I had severe muscle pain in my wrist and elbow area and did not want to continue. A shame as it is a near masterpiece, but leaned more towards a certain play-style.

Having said that, there are many technique paths that one can follow and augmentations and I did not try many of them to see if they make a difference.
Yeah, I kind of dread the mountain I've embarked on. I seem to have huge issues fighting even the minibosses that you stumble on. I just reached the hidden pagoda where the blue-clothed dude ambushes you. And I'm just having issues deflecting his attacks. And the tight area certainly doesn't help. And I don't think there's a way for me to sneak up on him, up there.

I can't imagine what I'll face with the main bosses. And unfortunately I've seen one of the later ones, the two gorillas. Holy shit, that almost made me stop playing. Somehow I find it very hard to juggle both moving around, and deflecting/jumping/countering. It's so much. Usually I can only do one well.

Once in a while I stumble into a Sekiro stream by some of the best people on twitch, and seeing the ease with which they handle combat, makes me want to hang up my sword. But once in a while they seem to stumble, and that gives me a little encouragement. But not too much.

I'm really curious how the QA department at FromSoft tests this game. How many of their people are actually able to finish it. Because I imagine a lot of them use cheats. But they must have some subset of QA that are able to play it, and gauge when it's really too difficult, or just not enough. And how they make that decision.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13725

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,953
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

April 23rd, 2021, 18:46
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Yeah, I kind of dread the mountain I've embarked on. I seem to have huge issues fighting even the minibosses that you stumble on. I just reached the hidden pagoda where the blue-clothed dude ambushes you. And I'm just having issues deflecting his attacks. And the tight area certainly doesn't help. And I don't think there's a way for me to sneak up on him, up there.

I can't imagine what I'll face with the main bosses. And unfortunately I've seen one of the later ones, the two gorillas. Holy shit, that almost made me stop playing. Somehow I find it very hard to juggle both moving around, and deflecting/jumping/countering. It's so much. Usually I can only do one well.

Once in a while I stumble into a Sekiro stream by some of the best people on twitch, and seeing the ease with which they handle combat, makes me want to hang up my sword. But once in a while they seem to stumble, and that gives me a little encouragement. But not too much.

I'm really curious how the QA department at FromSoft tests this game. How many of their people are actually able to finish it. Because I imagine a lot of them use cheats. But they must have some subset of QA that are able to play it, and gauge when it's really too difficult, or just not enough. And how they make that decision.
Do you understand how the posture and death blow system works ? It’s the backbone of the entire combat system. Honest question, not trying to be a smarta**.

blocks will really deplete enemy posture. As I said earlier spam the block button every time you anticipate an attack. You don’t need to wait and try to time it perfectly. Some enemies are so fast I don’t see how you could block them without doing this. You can even hold the block button and block everything but it will deplete your posture quick if your being attacked so use it sparingly. However holding block when your not being attacked will rapidly replenish your posture.

Once you break an enemies posture you can deathblow them for huge damage.

I think enemy patterns were easier to memorize in sekiro than DS. Use that to bait certain attacks. For instance the chained ogres sliding kick attack and elbow drop are easily baited and have long recovery times.

Hope this helps. I fear for you if you found the chained ogre difficult because he’s child’s play compared to what awaits you. Good luck.
Imo. is offline

Imo.

Watcher

#13726

Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

April 23rd, 2021, 18:56
Originally Posted by Imo. View Post
Do you understand how the posture and death blow system works ? It’s the backbone of the entire combat system. Honest question, not trying to be a smarta**.

blocks will really deplete enemy posture. As I said earlier spam the block button every time you anticipate an attack. You don’t need to wait and try to time it perfectly. Some enemies are so fast I don’t see how you could block them without doing this. You can even hold the block button and block everything but it will deplete your posture quick if your being attacked so use it sparingly. However holding block when your not being attacked will rapidly replenish your posture.

Once you break an enemies posture you can deathblow them for huge damage.

I think enemy patterns were easier to memorize in sekiro than DS. Use that to bait certain attacks. For instance the chained ogres sliding kick attack and elbow drop are easily baited and have long recovery times.

Hope this helps. I fear for you if you found the chained ogre difficult because he’s child’s play compared to what awaits you. Good luck.
Yeah, I did my research and understand the mechanics quite well, in theory. In practice though, I stumble and fail to time deflects. And often just guard against attacks, which don't really help much since they don't cause posture damage.

I think my main issue is that I constantly feel enemies either move very fast, that I can't anticipate which attacks they will do, or I just panic very quickly and end up reverting to spam behavior, which gets me killed.

Another issue is that I have the nasty habbit of not keeping my fingers on the shoulder buttons of the controller. So I lose precious miliseconds when I need to deflect or guard.

I think that if I'm serious about this game, I really need to do drills to ingrane best practices and turn them into reflexes that I can just do on a moments notice. Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Feels like work.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13727

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,953
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

April 23rd, 2021, 20:44
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
I also gave up after 20 failed tries with Genichiro Ashina.
I got to where I could get past the first stages of that fight in my sleep, but I would die so very quickly to his last, lightning boy phase that it I didn't even have time to get a sense of what I needed to do differently. Even though the first stages became easy for me, they still took a long time, and going through all of that only to die in 20 seconds got very tedious very fast.

I eventually gave up at that point too. Picked up the game again months later and got past that fight in relatively few tries. I didn't end up finishing the game, though, at least not yet. I never beat any bosses in Sekiro in fewer than 5 tries, and several of them take me several times that. Wears me down.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

#13728

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Default 

April 24th, 2021, 02:42
Originally Posted by Imo. View Post
Do you understand how the posture and death blow system works ? It’s the backbone of the entire combat system. Honest question, not trying to be a smarta**.
I do understand it too and learned to spam the block very quickly (rather than holding the block) and it does work in most cases - but spamming the block so quickly is what lead to my arm and wrist injury and would not recommend it over prolonged periods of time.
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13729

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Default 

April 24th, 2021, 02:46
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I got to where I could get past the first stages of that fight in my sleep, but I would die so very quickly to his last, lightning boy phase that it I didn't even have time to get a sense of what I needed to do differently. Even though the first stages became easy for me, they still took a long time, and going through all of that only to die in 20 seconds got very tedious very fast.

I eventually gave up at that point too. Picked up the game again months later and got past that fight in relatively few tries. I didn't end up finishing the game, though, at least not yet. I never beat any bosses in Sekiro in fewer than 5 tries, and several of them take me several times that. Wears me down.
Yes I too, after many tries, managed to finish the first stage of the fight with Genichiro, but the 2nd lighting stage threw me off as I was already tired from the first stage. How to fight the lighting was actually given as a hint in the dojo wall where you beat the master samurai just before Genichiro fight. Not that it helped me!
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13730

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Default 

April 24th, 2021, 13:37
Just started Day 3 in Disco Elysium. It's like Torment:TON without combat. I preferred Torment for the story and world. DE is too depressing to be fun for me.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo
Philistine is offline

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#13731

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

April 24th, 2021, 22:02
I've no idea what the hell is wrong with me, in Sekiro. I've stopped going through the Hirata Estates, as I reached the huge drunk dude who just pummels me into the ground. So, I went back to the Ashina outskirts, wanting to make progress in that. And I've reached the first samurai general right after the chained ogre. And after 2 tries, he just mops the floor with me. And the weird thing is, he pretty much has the same attack patterns as the previous samurai I fought (the first mini-boss you stumble onto right after getting the shuriken attachment). So I think it must be that the margin of error for this one is so slim. He constantly impales me after rushing me.

I think I just don't have the nerve to keep calm during the fights themselves. And I always lose my cool, and just end up trying to rush things. Or I either time my attacks wrong. Or do the wrong thing at the wrong time. I also noticed I don't keep my thumb on the dodge button or the jump button. I keep it on the thumb-stick, and then wonder why I can't react in good time, to either jump or dodge.

Man, this game really is a man-maker.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13732

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,953
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

April 25th, 2021, 00:37
I gave Greedfall a (little) break and now I'm playing Nehrim: At Fate's Edge. I'm having so much fun though sometimes the old Gamebryo engine shows its teeth in the form of CTDs and/or freezings.
--
Sou tricolor de corao!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jger!
henriquejr is offline

henriquejr

henriquejr's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#13733

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Brasil
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

April 25th, 2021, 03:23
I started playing Chivalry 2 for a change of pace.

It certainly is a change of pace

I'm shit at it but it's fun whenever I do kill someone…
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

#13734

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,074
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

Default 

April 25th, 2021, 03:45
I'm rotating between a ton of stuff right now. So far I have the following Let's Plays running concurrently:

FRUA - Temple of Elemental Evil ("The Realm" campaign) (Android version)
Tormented 12
Tortured Hearts: Or How I Saved The Universe. Again.
Sword Coast Legends
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
Himeko Sutori
Underrail
Age Of Fear 3 - The Legend (Dryad campaign)
Valheim
Heroes Of Steel (Android version, older LP I probably won't update much.)

So, yeah. Having a blast, though, every day is a different adventure as I delve deeper into all these very fine games, so no complaints from me. If u guys have any questions about any of the games, feel free to ask. Hope you're all doing well. Much love. <3
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#13735

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

April 25th, 2021, 04:16
Valheim is a blast. I played it quite a bit a few months ago. I'm still playing mm7/mm8
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#13736

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 8,466
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

Default 

April 25th, 2021, 04:26
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Valheim is a blast. I played it quite a bit a few months ago. I'm still playing mm7/mm8
actually 'nut it was your recommendation that got me to try Valheim. I saw u post in one of these threads about endless exploration and some other details i have since forgotten, but i ended up grabbing Valheim at that moment. i also discovered Legendary Journeys, too, thanks to u. so thanks for the RPG tips, 'nut! <3
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#13737

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

April 25th, 2021, 04:43
Was playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla but the game is just not for me I hate it. So I went back for a replay of Tyranny, Queen's Wish, and Alpha Protocol. So no new games.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#13738

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Banana Republic of America
Posts: 26,145
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)

Default 

April 25th, 2021, 09:57
I've had a touch of gamer ADD lately. I'm still playing D:OS, but only for a few hours here and there. I recently finished all the quests in Hunter's Edge. Ran across a couple of NPCs named Myrthos and Moriendor while doing so.

Also, played a bit of Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason. It's a first-person survival-horror game from 2008. I finished it back in the day, but it didn't age well imo, and I quit after a few hours this time.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#13739

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 29,926
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)

Default 

April 25th, 2021, 15:17
Playing Dark Souls II: Scholar of the first sin edition. It like visiting a good old friend. This is the best in the series in my opinion.

I was reluctant to try the Scholar of the first sin edition after playing the full game with the DLC separately. But the changes are welcome which include better (more consistent) enemy placement, more fleshed out story and progression, better graphics and colour.

There is good news for those who struggle with the bosses (especially for the DLCs), there are at least 2 NPCs now that you can summon to support you (I used 3 with the kings tiger pet!). This takes away the stress from the bosses and allows progression. You don't have to use these NPCs if you prefer.

What a huge and enjoyable journey!
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13740

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:01.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch