Skyrim Skyrim and Morrowind

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Tired. Got 3 hours of sleep last night because of…..Skyrim and just got back from the doctors and now debating taking a nap or playing more Skyrim. There's not enough time in the day.

So which won, sleep or Skyrim? I was full of cold last night so after getting it working again (patch broke it for me) I only played for 10 minutes before giving in and going to bed! :(

Daniel.

Newbit posting, nap then Skyrim then sleep again. Had just enough time to do a Companion quest before I really needed to go to sleep again.

Good thing though. Felt great today. Funny how actually getting enough rest does that :D

Heh probably wise, I'll hopefully get some more in later, I'm in a cave at the moment, hoping it'll take my out through to the other side of a mountain range, fingers crossed! ;)

Daniel.

The mods did an absolutely wonderful job updating Morrowind and still are. The Morrowind Overhaul Mod is beautiful. It's great in 3D too :)Here's a youtube video of it.

Thanks for posting that video Skavenhorde, I have a friend who doesn't trust my 20+ years of gaming opinion when I told him how good this mod is, will be e-mailing the link to him now.

You're more than welcome.

~Your Friendly Neighborhood Rat

Thanks for posting that video Skavenhorde, I have a friend who doesn't trust my 20+ years of gaming opinion when I told him how good this mod is, will be e-mailing the link to him now.

Great video. Makes me want to install Morrowind on my laptop and play it. After I'm done with Skyrim I just might do that.

I've spent days messing around with Morrowind mods and it can look amazing now, particularly that godrays shader. But all that beautifying really highlighted (for me) the old skool animations and dated fighting mechanics, which I found too jarring. I'm gonna keep it vanilla the next time I play.

Possible no Mod needed?

Hey everyone, ran across this forum so decided to join up. Been playing Skyrim on the 360. I'm a HUGE fan of Morrowind. I honestly didn't play Oblivion might still though. But Morrowind was by far best, miss the old alchemy/enchanting though!! :( The open ended was epic.

Anyway my main reason to this post was exploring around Skyrim I've already found roads to Morrowind and Cyrodill, obviously blocked. I tried hopping over but clipping jams you up.
However; did research a little bit and a lot of people have used no clipping to make it past the walls and said that both Morrowind and Cyrodill are there! Just lower quality! This has a lot of people assuming DLC for returning to the older worlds. Which would make complete sense to me! I hope so! I'd pay full price for a remade Morrowind, even more inclined if they allow better secondary skill options mostly in ENCHANTING!!! I used to loooooove seeing all the bad ass things I could make in the game haha. Anyway. I'm on the band wagon!

-Mr.E-

Welcome to RPGWatch.

I'm with you. I'd pay pay for another Skyrim if it included all of Morrowind and Oblivion. Even if not then some modders will take advantage of this and make some great content. So you may want to get the PC version at some point and just play it on your gamepad. I'm playing it with the XBox controller and it works a lot better than keyboard and mouse (right now at least). Later on I'll switch, but sorta enjoying kicking back on the couch playing Skyrim.

Anyway have fun in Skyrim and here.

Which tracks from the Morrowind soundtrack get used specifically?

Various mx_explore tracks, and they seem to be straight transfers, not remakes. Pretty sure mx_explore_2 is at least one of them, and maybe mx_explore_4 but need to play a bit more for them to pop up. So far, don't recall hearing mx_explore_5 yet; it's pretty noticeable, usually. A few of the peaceful tracks in ES V are specific ones from ES IV, as well, if my ear rings true, but the ES III ones stand out more.

TBH, this import was likely a direct response to all the ppl who mentioned ES III's music (specifically the exploration music) as one of the many, many, MANY areas that ES IV fell flat in, when compared to its predecessor.

It seems as if Bethesda listened REALLY, REALLY hard to the fans, but also managed to still move forward with new ideas (major kudos to them for either, and huge kudos for managing to do both and make it work!). While they did not copy ES III, they managed to work the same themes. Witness other areas of fan complaint in ES IV:

The night sky art (note the INTENSE Borealis in Skyrim now, tho the stars themselves are a little dull)

The lack of challenge to exploring in ES IV since the land was nearly all flat, as opposed to Vvardenfell's maze of mountains (Skyrim being the perfect place to have mountains, of course).

The simple grand, tho stark beauty of Vvardenfell, which Skyrim answers with gusto in its more familiar, but amazingly awesome mountain ranges.

The ES IV hero was a zero. Martin was the real savior there. TBH this was more a problem with rising expectations, since ES I and II heroes were also basically lackeys in many ways. ES III broke the mold, and it's hard to go back to a nobody after having a hardcore savior as the character. Skyrim's hero is beyond even that, being in the same mold as Talos himself.

P.S. edit: Followers are likely a direct response to all the companion mods for ES III and IV. Bethesda did the smart thing and realized that the best clue as to what players really want is to see what they go through the trouble to mod themselves.

While I've loved Morrowind (finished it twice) and I've had fun with Oblivion, I don't feel the urge to replay them, simply because of the combat system of the previous games.
I agree that MW has more RPG features than the others, and I still miss some of them (more weapons/armor slots/skill choices, the factions, Silt Striders, Mages' Guild teleports, levitation, etc.), but TES saga was always combat oriented, and if the combat isn't good for me, well, the urge to replaying it goes down :(.
Anyway, all of this doesn't care if some day a sort of "Morroblivionim" mod will be released: playing all of the three games would be a great experience by me.
The only problem is that you have to create a new character for Skyrim, 'cause the previous main quests of MW and OB are setted 200 years before the events in Skyrim (not to mention how the skill system could be implemented)...

Hey Everyone!

I was just browsing google wondering if anyone else has sucumbed to the nagging urge to revisit Morrowind and I came across this forum, specifically this thread.

First of all I'd like to say: THANKYOU for developing an online community that isn't full of trolls and baiters! Everyone here seems very mature, and values each others opinions. I also liked how Dart and Skaven handled their disagreement! So thankyou!

Now on topic! - I absolutely love Morrowind. The music is my favourite aspect by far. I feel that Skyrim's music just isn't dramatic enough for my liking. Superb game though, already put in a solid 150 hours and can sense many more to come!

I've always wanted to be interested in lore and roleplaying, but I always seem to get (and how dare I say this word in reference to Morrowind!) bored with reading the lore etc.. Has anyone got any advice for enjoying a more immersive experience? I think I'll go back and set my self some very strict rules I have to follow in regards to travel etc.

I'm looking forward to starting it again and thankyou for having me!

Hello pato, welcome to the forums :).

I have more than 400 hours of Skyrim under my belt, yet I still hum the Morrowind music from time to time. It was definitely grander and especially more haunting that n that of Skyrim.

Hm, I have one character who doesn't fast-travel at all (my main character does it all the time, however). He discovered quite some interesting stuff along the way, but the temptation to fast-travel is still strong. Personally, I'm pretty strict with role-playing my different characters. It's easier with some chars, though.

Welcome to our forums. I agree concerning the music of MW, but I became bored with it after about 100 hours. I'm still enjoying Sky after about 120, but have been taking a short break to build up yet another DDO character since they had a special deal on last week!! :)

Personally, I'm pretty strict with role-playing my different characters. It's easier with some chars, though.

Choosing between walking and using fast travel has nothing to do with role-playing. It's a convenience. Someone using fast travel all the time isn't "less role-playing", he's just not giving a damn about walking in a theme park.

The really crappy thing about it is that Bethesda is slacky developer. They could have implemented an interactive travelling feature in map view that would allow you to take individual paths and roads and see and discover nearby places of interest right on the map, much like old games like Fallout used to do, and still keep instant fast-travel as an option for those willing but they couldn't be bothered.

I find it difficult to say what does and what does not constitute role playing. It is a very subjective topic. For example I agree with Jaz in regards to walking everywhere (or catching a silt strider [which I would actually like to move so you can enjoy the scenery or read or make potions etc]) being more of a role playing experience. I find, that by fast travelling, I lose immersion in the game and in my new "role". I figure that if I'm going to dive into a new world where I AM a new person, I should do everything that I would in real life.

That said, I understand where you are coming from Villain. Fast travel is not that big of a problem, considering you still walk and explore from the closest fast travel location. I think when I brought it up I was trying to refer to making the role playing experience as real and immersive as possible.

Choosing between walking and using fast travel has nothing to do with role-playing.
Playing different characters in different ways is, though. Not only does my two-handed Nord barbarian never use magic and never help non-humans, he's also going everywhere by foot: no coaches, no horses, no fast-travelling. My hectic Bosmer thief, on the other hand, is pretty different. She does different quests, goes about fights differently, picks different dialog options where possible and travels by any mean appropriate. So yes, I consider it part of role-playing. Just like whether my SW character likes blue ale or not.

Playing different characters in different ways is, though. Not only does my two-handed Nord barbarian never use magic and never help non-humans, he's also going everywhere by foot: no coaches, no horses, no fast-travelling. My hectic Bosmer thief, on the other hand, is pretty different. She does different quests, goes about fights differently, picks different dialog options where possible and travels by any mean appropriate. So yes, I consider it part of role-playing. Just like whether my SW character likes blue ale or not.

Jaz I have a similar character - Nord (Two-Handed, Stormcloak, never use magic and never steals from crypts (it's disrespectful to the ancient nords) (unless its a quest item then its to help save his people). He's also a companion with all that entails! Heis also the Dovakin.

My bosmer thief is the exact opposite - kills, steals, never knowingly helps other unless for profit (needless to say Dark Brotherhood/thiefs Guild). I won't let him do the main quest though god knows what he'd do with that power.

Perhaps I need to stop taking this all so seriously or or make an imperial mage :)

Back
Top Bottom